Glock Talk at Academy Sports

This is a discussion on Glock Talk at Academy Sports within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at Academy Sports the other day looking for defensive ammo for my .40 cal. As I'm browsing the ammo shelf, I could overhear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Glock Talk at Academy Sports

Glock Talk at Academy Sports

I was at Academy Sports the other day looking for defensive ammo for my .40 cal. As I'm browsing the ammo shelf, I could overhear three guys from the gun counter debating if Glock pistols were really the best of the best.

One guy was obviously a staunch Glocker and wouldn't yield to the other guys' argument against Glock. Their words sounded as if they were taken right from some of the forum discussions here; I couldn't help but smile.

Then the debate finally ends with the young guy telling the Glock guy that he's been drinking too much Glock Kool-Aide! I laughed out loud at that one and had to see these guys.

I asked, "Who's been drinking the Glock Kool-Aide?" and the young guy points to an older gentleman with a white mustache checking out a Glock on the counter.

"He's drank so much his mustache is red! Can't you tell?"

I laughed and left.

BTW: I have no opinion on Glocks yet. I have fired a .45 Glock and liked it, but my SIG looks much cooler!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

Ahhh, Glocktards
    Ram Rod and AKsrule like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I sometimes help people pick out handguns for SD purposes,I point out the pros and cons of all the manufacturers and their offerings,I then let them select the firearm that they like the best and fits their budget.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Ahhh, Glocktards
    I congratulate you on on coining a new phrase.....or as it were...a definition?
    LOL! Glocktards. I'm gonna befriend you on that one. This should go into the hall of shame by all means! I'm not sure the last time I laughed this much.
    Hey.......you never know what you'll come up on in a gun shop or sporting goods store in conversation. Alabama? I figure the rhetoric is close to my home state. Once in a while my ears perk up for a conversation......thing is....I immediately think the conversation is too loud if it can be overheard. I seldom interfere with an overheard conversation. I merely learn from it and sometimes reassess my environment.
    mano3 and preachertim like this.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have to agree with Dukalmighty. There is no "best gun", is there? Different guns has different uses. Some are surely better than others, but price also matters, especially these days. I worry people looking for their first handgun sometimes get put off by strongly conflicting advice. I just try to steer them toward practical, well-made guns. Glock, Ruger, S&W, SS, Kimber, Colt, Beretta, none of these is bad- all are well-made and can be excellent choices. More important is this: what is its purpose, how much do you know about guns, have you shot before, and will you practice? If the answers are self-defense, not much, not much, and not much, I recommend a revolver in medium caliber of good quality. I also agree with Ram Rod- Alabama has loud conversations and guys with strongly-held opinions!
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    I also agree with Ram Rod- Alabama has loud conversations and guys with strongly-held opinions!
    I actually didn't know that until now. LOL!

It was like an episode of "Defensive Carry - Live!"
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I go into Academy quite often and look..... And listen. I hear all kinds of good stuff there.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I go into Academy quite often and look..... And listen. I hear all kinds of good stuff there.
    I heard an academy salesperson at the gun counter telling a guy that the hollowpoints were the one that will go through a bullet proof vest. It never ceases to amaze me the crap you hear there. Horrible advice usually.
    AZJD1968 and mano3 like this.

Sometimes the Kool Aid is spiked.

Gave a private instruction session this past Saturday to a petite little gal, and I took 6 different handguns of all calibers and action types. It has been my experience with the ladies, which make up about 99% of my clients, that they seem to prefer the Glock 19, or, 1911 above all others.

And, I have found that they shoot the 1911 very well, which I believe is due to the easy reach to the trigger. They also initially, prefer it over a Glock until they get real comfortable with guns, and then eventually gravitate to the lighter weight of the Glock.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, not much I can say I guess, I'm drowning in Kimber 1911 and Glock 17 kool aid - a verrrrry powerful mixture I might add.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Hmmm, not much I can say I guess, I'm drowning in Kimber 1911 and Glock 17 kool aid - a verrrrry powerful mixture I might add.
    You must be bi-polar.

It's very hard to argue against the out-of-the-box reliability of the GLOCK pistol, but it is indeed not the best gun for everyone, only for the best of the best.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    The Glock Kool-aid spiked with Kimber..... If its gonna be spiked, that's a good thing to spike it with!
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    You must be bi-polar.
    LOL - maybe so - I'll look in the mirror and see if there's two of me

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    The Glock Kool-aid spiked with Kimber..... If its gonna be spiked, that's a good thing to spike it with!
    I'm not sure which is spiked with which.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I catch myself using my Glock's as comparisons for other things. When friends ask me if I approve of a new girl friend or whatnot I ask them..."Well, is she reliable? Is she simple to maintain? Does she hold up well? Does she have an "inner beauty"? Yes? Then go for it!"

Yes, I know, issues.
    joker1 likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links