LCR .357 vs. +P

This is a discussion on LCR .357 vs. +P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you want to shoot a .357 Magnum I recommend a steel gun with at least a 4" barrel. I have the LCR in .38. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LCR .357 vs. +P

If you want to shoot a .357 Magnum I recommend a steel gun with at least a 4" barrel. I have the LCR in .38. I see no point in the .357 version as I have no desire to fire a loud, flashy, high-recoil round that will barely gain any velocity over a .38+p. To those who want such a weapon, I say go for it. Me, I'm happy having spent less for a lighter gun that fires the same round I'd have probably gone back to anyway even with the magnum version.

2. Remove Ads

You can shoot 38 +P loads in 357 and extra 4 oz will be you recoil reduction friend. I like also balance of Ruger KLCR 357 better. Steel is steel. Aluminum is softer.

Vodek

I've had both the .38 and .357 LCR's. VERY accurate snubbie. The trigger is easy to stage and is the smoothest of any revolver I've ever fired. Yes, the .357 is a little heavier, but barely noticeable. IMO, the extra weight combined with shooting .38s thru it made it FUN to shoot. Even +p ammo was a breeze. I'll have another someday. Be sure to find one with the Hogue Tamer grip. The boot grip is too small.
    Shooting .357s thru this thing was NO FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    I carry the LCR .38+P as a BUG. I tried a friend's .357 and had no fun at all!
    Totally agree!

Do you plan on pocket carry? If so the 38 would be more comfortable. If not the 357's extra weight may help more with accuracy. Or maybe not. I have the 357 and used to carry it in a Tommy Theis IWB holster and it was perfect. I shoot better with Speers short barrel 357 than with DPX 38 +p's in that little snubby. Go figure.

KSP
    A common thread, which must mean people are really getting into the LCR. Having 13 and 15 and 19 ounce snubbies, I have found that I really like having the 13 ounce option of the lcr 38. For whatever silly reason, I like to ask myself which snubbie I would keep if I could only keep one. Purely for ccw, my lcr 38 with night sights is the clear winner.

What really makes the lcr unique is that it's so shootable for it's scant weight.

A .38+p snubbie is the perfect carry gun for me. I'll carry a larger caliber on occasion, but I have practiced and have become proficient with it. I tried to shoot an Airweight 357, and didn't care for it at all. +p .38:is a really good round. I prefer the Gold Dot 135gr short barrel +p I my snub.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Some guys like the etra weight of the .357 to tame 38+P recoil.

I never wanted 4 extra ounces in my pocket or on my ankle.

The 125 gr. and 110s always felt just right out of the LCR.

No real desire to shoot a .357 version though.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Some guys like the etra weight of the .357 to tame 38+P recoil.
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    I carry the LCR .38+P as a BUG. I tried a friend's .357 and had no fun at all!
    ^^ Ditto, on these two points.

My choice would be: A .357mag revolver in 3in or 2in bbl, shooting .38+p rounds out of it. I'd consider shooting .357mag rounds, but only if the revolver were at least 25oz and 3in bbl. But that's just me.

I've shot .357mag in a few revolvers, including the Ruger SP-101 (25oz). "No fun" is a good way to phrase it. IMO, .38+p is plenty in a snubbie .357 revolver. If willing to carry a 25oz+ revolver in 3in bbl length, then .357mag might be more pleasant. Whichever you do, be sure to invest in a decent recoil-reducing grip for practice purposes.

Suggestion: Try a few different revolvers (Smith, Colt, Taurus), perhaps including some of the older, tried-and-true models that are no longer made. Seems to me there's a reasonable difference that can be detected in how many of them shoot, in terms of recoil management, balance, how low the bore feels in the hand during firing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have both. I carry the 38 more often because of the lighter weight. I slide it into a nemesis in my front pocket, and forget it's even there.

I have a Lcr 38sp+p and a SP-101 3" 357 I like both. I carry the 38 because its lighter. I have a Desantis IWB and both guns will fit this holster. I'm thinking on buying the LCR 22lr for practice. I have arthritus in my hands and the 38 is OK but shooting 22lr for practice would be nice.

Rich

I carry the LCR 357 in my pocket every day. The LCR backs up my SP101. I like shooting 357 and have for years. When I can't handle the 357 round any longer I have the option to pick a lighter recoiling round. The LCR 357 is like having Two Guns. Students have used it with 38 Target Rounds to learn how to shoot. I can play around with standard or +P just to practice trigger control, sight alignment, whatever. I can then step up to 357 for serious self defense practice. I like the option of being able to use the different loads and the weight in the pocket of casual pants is good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Sorry to bust in on your thread I have shot hundreds of rounds out of lightweight 9mm's such as the Keltec PF9 and Diamondback DB9 and do NOT find it unpleasant. So question for people that have had experience with both the LCR 357 and Keltec PF9. Would shooting +P Ammo out of a Keltec PF9 be similar to shooting 357 out of the LCR ??? Thanks for any info. God Bless
    Not even close.
    rgc1 likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Senior Moderator
    I pocket carry a .357 steel revovler and I shoot .38 +P's out of it. The weight helps with follow-up shots
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Not even close.

Thanks Two Guns, I take it from your reply you have experienced and shot both. How much of a difference between the 2 on a scale of 1-10 ?? I do not consider myself recoil sensitive and have shot some 357 from a regular sized revolver and some 44 magnums and do not find it bad, but again that is not on a 17 ounce lightweight like the LCR. Again thanks for any info and to the OP I aplogize for breaking in on your thread. God Bless

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links