LCR .357 vs. +P - Page 3

LCR .357 vs. +P

This is a discussion on LCR .357 vs. +P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Philly Boy My .357 was no fun to shoot and I wanted to practice with it-- a lot. So I started using ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LCR .357 vs. +P

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    My .357 was no fun to shoot and I wanted to practice with it-- a lot. So I started using 38 sp/+P and I never went to .357 again: figured it was better to hit the target than make a big bang!
    My SP101 at 25 ounces is about as light weight as I want to go for .357 Magnum loads. My LCR chamberd for .357 Magnum and weighing about 17 ounces is reasonably controllable when shooting 158 grain +P 38 Special loads and that's how I do it. I don't pocket carry the LCR so the extra 4 ounces of weight is a plus for me with regard to recoil management.

Which do you guys think is better, the .38 LCR, S&W 642/442, or Taurus' S&W clones? I'm looking at getting a .38 snubbie for EDC, either pocket carried as my primary, or in an ankle holster as a BUG. While I really like Rugers, I'm leaning heavily towards the 442 or 642.
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

I can't personally speak for the S&W 642/442, but can tell you that I love my .38LCR, It's an awesome gun.

won a LCR357 last year at a gun bash.It has replaced my SP101 as my EDC, I carry it APEX and it hides well even under a t-shirt. try useing REM. MED. VEL. 125gr. 357 there very easy to shoot in the LCR

Sheepdog37, I own smith 642, Ruger LCR and Ruger KCLR 357 plus smith 640 pro. I like smith 642 over Rugers.... yes for some reason I like smith triggers better.
    My 642 has 405 Crimson Laser grip on it. It feels good in my hands. My Rugers have night sights and Crimson Laser Grips also..... but smith 642 feels better.
    This is how you should pick what feels better. A year ago when I bought Rugers I would not expect to ever shoot 642, at the time I thought the smith trigger was too heavy. ( I used to be anti revolver nut, yes yes not anymore.)
    It is about a grip and a trigger. Smith 642 feels more natural for me. It is personal choice. Either Smith 642 or Ruger LCR this is good choice. My ammo for 642 is
    158 gr Buffalo Bore regular pressure or +P. Also 135+P Gold Dot shoots good. Snub nose are interesting but still are short range revolvers, but they work.
    Vodek

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I am considering purchasing a Ruger LCR. I noticed on their website that they have a few different versions. The .357 obviously gives you more flexibility in ammo, but is 4 oz. heavier....which I think is a lot.

I know a lot of members here have one. Thoughts on which one to buy?
    I picked the 357 even though I bought it with shooting on 38 special in mind. The weight comes from the blackened stainless steel frame which I felt would be more durable in use.

I have the LCR .38 with CTC grips. It has the smoothest double action trigger pull of any revolvers of that size (J frame equivalent) that I have shot. I keep it stoked with Gold Dot +P 135 gr short barrel loads. I carry it regularly as a BUG and sometimes as my primary. I love it, but I have to admit that at the practice range it doesn't take long before it becomes unpleasant to shoot, especially with those +P's. I can't imagine shooting the .357 version. Although I have been told that the regular stock hogue grips help to tame recoil quite a bit. Either way, .38 or .357, you can't go wrong with the LCR.

I just picked a .357 LCR up from a local shop; they had an un-shot used one for a deal I couldn't pass up. I've put about 150 rounds through it; mostly .38 ball' and also about 25 rounds of different .39+P and .357 SD loads. .38 is just wonderful to shoot; .38+P SD loads are really manageable; .357 stung (like taking a brass rod to the groin) but I can't imaging any other snubby doing better.

I plan on carrying +P for an EDC SD load as I feel that .357 is just too much of a liability in an urban setting. I will though switch to .357 when in the wild. There's something to be said about a 2" revolver that could drop a bear if necessary.

I had the same issue when I bought my LCR. Which one should I buy? I shot both at the range and frankly went with the 38 LCR. Mainly because I also like to use it for pocket carry from time to time. I also carry it OWB when I wear a long shirt. It carries better than any gun I have. I did not get the 357 because of the extra weight and frankly believe the 38 +p is plenty of fire power for me. I also realized very quickly that the 357 load was way to hot for me in such a light gun. No fun at all. The +p was a pleasure to shoot. If you don't plan to use 357, I would go with the 38. After several test fires with 357, I won't use it in the LCR 357 even if I had one. I use my Sp101 if I want to shoot 357. LCR is just too light of gun for 357 in my opinion. Why carry the extra weight unless you plan to shoot 357. I also shot the Smith's and loved the trigger in the LCR. Also LCR handles the recoil much better in my opinion. Can't beat it.

I tried an LCR 357 hated it. The lockup was clunky and I did not like the way it shot maggies. Dumped it and got a 640 Pro.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I have an LCR 357/38. It really does kick like a mule. Today I shot 25 rounds of 165 grain SJHP's. You really have to have a good grip on it to handle the recoil. I pocket carry this little jewel loaded with 125 grain 38 JHP's with one speed loader with the same round and one speed loader with the 165 grain SJHP's. I am ready for most things with this setup.

Between all these snub from Smith 642 and Ruger LCR or 357 LCR if I would have to pick one revolver I would take Smith 640 pro over them.
    It is heavier but it is easier to shoot it. I have all of them.
    Vodek
    Bad Bob likes this.

I love the .357 LCR.... but carry it with +P. I will say, however, that, while shooting .357s is a handful, it is nothing like as bad as some other small .357s I've shot. Why, I would even characterize it as... fun! (But, for me, it's just a little extra treat at the range. I do worry about getting back on target with .357s in this gun, so I wouldn't carry it that way. But I like the added weight for better accuracy.)

If you do not like the recoil of a 40 S&W in a service pistol, the 357 in the LCR should not even be a consideration.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Recoil plays big part for me. Even in my smith 640 pro I shoot 38 +P rounds. Buffalo Bore 158 +P or GD 135 +P. Much easier on follow ups and my hands.
    All these revolvers are close range weapons and any 38 +P will work well. How far 5, 7 or 10 yards? how many people accurately can
    shoot a snub nose more than that?
    Vodek

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links