LCR .357 vs. +P - Page 4

LCR .357 vs. +P

This is a discussion on LCR .357 vs. +P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I chose the LCR .38 because of the weight. It's a great light carry, a little snappy to shoot, though. But it'll do the job ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LCR .357 vs. +P

I chose the LCR .38 because of the weight. It's a great light carry, a little snappy to shoot, though. But it'll do the job just fine.

Recoil is all relative. That being said, I like full tilt boogie .357 out of a steel 60, 38+p out of a S&W airwieght, and fired 357 out of that torture contraption that is a S&W 13.3 ounce pd TWICE. In a 357 LCR I find the Gold Dot 135gr .38 +p fine and the 125gr Hornady or Winchester PDX1 in .357 just a little harsher, but, by no means horrible. The old 145gr Silver Tips in the LCR are a bit more and not worth it with the outstanding bullets available in 125gr 357 these days. As for 158gr 357 in the LCR, not for this guy.

rgc

The Ruger LCR comes in @ 17.1 oz, 1.8 " tube. My Model 649, ( stainless steel ) is close to 12 oz heavier and has a 2.25 " barrel. Clearly much more able to handle .357 loads if I choose to carry. The additional weight is still supported by quality leather belt and holsters.

I think the extra four oz for the flexibility for your LCR is a good deal.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I love the .357 LCR.... but carry it with +P. I will say, however, that, while shooting .357s is a handful, it is nothing like as bad as some other small .357s I've shot. Why, I would even characterize it as... fun! (But, for me, it's just a little extra treat at the range. I do worry about getting back on target with .357s in this gun, so I wouldn't carry it that way. But I like the added weight for better accuracy.)
    I agree. When I carry mine the last two rounds are .357 first three are 38+p.I practice with it the same way

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Thanks Two Guns, I take it from your reply you have experienced and shot both. How much of a difference between the 2 on a scale of 1-10 ?? I do not consider myself recoil sensitive and have shot some 357 from a regular sized revolver and some 44 magnums and do not find it bad, but again that is not on a 17 ounce lightweight like the LCR. Again thanks for any info and to the OP I aplogize for breaking in on your thread. God Bless
    It down right hurts to use full power 357 loads through a LCR. I could't even shoot all five that were in the cylinder. I am no sissy but I won't shoot full power loads out of the 357 LCR ever again. I have no problem with full power 38 +P's in the 38 LCR.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I wouldn't shoot .357 out of an LCR. In fact, I wouldn't shoot .357 out of anything other than a full steel revolver.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I have a S&W 442 38 and a Ruger LCR in 357, and my carry load in both is Federal 38 +P 158gr LSWCHP. The LCR makes that round soooo much easier to handle.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I think I'd want to try out the .357 version for a while.

Best scenario, is that I find that a load like the Speer 135 gr. short barrel .357 mag load is ideal for both
    recoil and muzzle flash.

Worst scenario, all Magnum loads are too much for me to handle and I have a heavier gun than the old 38+Ps.

That will have even less recoil when I shoot .38s through it.

Is the barrel on the KLCR any longer than that of the .38+P guns?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links