LCR .357 vs. +P

This is a discussion on LCR .357 vs. +P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering purchasing a Ruger LCR. I noticed on their website that they have a few different versions. The .357 obviously gives you more ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LCR .357 vs. +P

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

LCR .357 vs. +P

I am considering purchasing a Ruger LCR. I noticed on their website that they have a few different versions. The .357 obviously gives you more flexibility in ammo, but is 4 oz. heavier....which I think is a lot.

I know a lot of members here have one. Thoughts on which one to buy?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Get the .357, it's a nice gun. You got a little extra weight (13 vs 17 oz's) and the option to shoot 357's as well as 38's. I shot a buddy's and it k-i-c-k-s like a mule with 357's. If I owned one, I'd stock up on Remington's 110 gr. JHP in 357. Those rounds will be the least recoil in 357.

Another vote for the .357 mag. I'm seriously considering one to replace a gifted-away J Frame.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Get the .357 IF you think you would actually carry them. I bought a j frame 38+p because I knew I would not carry or practice with .357. That and the few hundred $ difference at the time.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My .357 was no fun to shoot and I wanted to practice with it-- a lot. So I started using 38 sp/+P and I never went to .357 again: figured it was better to hit the target than make a big bang!
    BigJon10125 and RichB70 like this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have the 38 special LCR and it's a soft shooting revolver.......even in +p. I have a couple of 357mag revolvers, a Ruger SP101 and a Ruger GP100. The SP101 weights 25 oz so it really isn't a pocket revolver, but shooting full bore magnum rounds in it is a handfull (even with Hogue "Tamer" grips). I really don't think shooting magnum rounds out of a 17 oz revolver would be very pleasant. My recommendation would be to find one to rent at a range and see if you can handle the recoil before you buy...... It would be a shame to buy one and find you didn't like shooting it.

I bought the 38 because of the weight.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

.357 out of a snub nose gun is generally pretty energetic in and of it's self. .357 out of a 17 ounce snub nose gun is bordering on masochism. If you cant put multiple rounds on target quickly then the caliber of the bullet your throwing is irrelevant. I am sure there are some guys out there like Tangle that will pick up a .357 LCR stoked with full house 158g .357 loads and put 5 rounds in a group the size of a quarter at 15 yards. I'm also pretty sure Tangle is a robot.

If you want a .357 get a SP101 along with some Corbon 110g loads and you will have a heck of a very shootable little hand cannon. If you want a .38 get the LCR in .38 with some +P (Or even standard pressure) 158g LSWCHP rounds and you will still have a heck of a very shootable hand cannon.
    DanielC likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Get the .357 IF you think you would actually carry them. I bought a j frame 38+p because I knew I would not carry or practice with .357. That and the few hundred $ difference at the time.
    I used the above reasoning. Plus I pocket carry and even though it is only 4 ounces of difference, it can make a world of difference in a pocket.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have the .38 special model, and LOVE IT. It's been in my carry rotation since I purchased it.

I carry the LCR .38+P as a BUG. I tried a friend's .357 and had no fun at all!
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

LCR in .38 Spl here, due to the lower weight vs the .357 version. No desire to fire a .357 out of something that light in weight.

Load mine with 158 gr LSWCs, standard pressure. Very sweet shooting revolver.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Sorry to bust in on your thread I have shot hundreds of rounds out of lightweight 9mm's such as the Keltec PF9 and Diamondback DB9 and do NOT find it unpleasant. So question for people that have had experience with both the LCR 357 and Keltec PF9. Would shooting +P Ammo out of a Keltec PF9 be similar to shooting 357 out of the LCR ??? Thanks for any info. God Bless

38 +p will serve you just fine,get the .38 version and save yourself the extra 4ozs...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links