How many have down sized?

This is a discussion on How many have down sized? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of the time I carry a Sig 1911 Ultra Compact which is an officer size 1911. So I guess I have downsized some....

View Poll Results: Downsize or not?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • From large to Med.

17 10.69%
  • From med small

19 11.95%
  • Will stay with full size

17 10.69%
  • Have always carried small

27 16.98%
  • upsized from small to large

15 9.43%
  • What ever I feel like from day to day

64 40.25%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How many have down sized?

mkh
    Most of the time I carry a Sig 1911 Ultra Compact which is an officer size 1911. So I guess I have downsized some.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've downsized in the last couple of years from necessity, not by choice. Disabling nerve damage to my lower lumbar spine has made it necessary to go from a HK USP 45C/1911 Commander to a M&P9 Shield. As with others I simply carry an additional mag to offset the difference.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I am completely content on my almost EDC. It is 1.5lbs loaded including my Hays OWB holster. I love my Kahr CM9 loaded with Hornady CD. When really cold with lots of clothing I will some times carry my Beretta PX4 SC .40. When really hot (swimsuit weather) its the LCP and Remora. If any one cares except me that is the story.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Senior Moderator
    I carry a snubnose .357, before than I carried med framed autos
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I started out years ago with a 4" K frame. My primary carry guns are a 1911, a Browning HP, a Glock 19, or a P7M8. BUG is a Kel Tec .32.

It's a challenge, but totally possible, to wear a full sized gun comfortably and still dress stylish. And I don't believe on choosing based on "I'm going to a bad part of town" or "it's a safe neighborhood" judgements.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

LCP most days just because it is easy to drop in a pocket. But I prefer the colt 1911 or glock 36 when I can wear a jacket for cover.

Like you, for 30 years I carried a duty gun on my hip, it was usually my EDC as well. Since I have retired my summer gun is the Glock 27 with G23 mags (carries better AIWB) still 14 shots of 40 S&W. My winter gun will be my G31 instead of the G23. I am 6' and 270lbs , I hike 5 miles a day and do moderate exercises to keep my slim girlish figure, If I feel an extra pound is gonna kill me I will just stay in bed.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

For work and social reasons, I need to be discreet. I downsized from my Glocks (in a Smartcarry) to dual pocket carry (LCR + LCP, or dual LCPs depending on pocket size/depth). Mainly for comfort issues, but I also appreciate being able to discretly have a firing grip on a gun in my pocket during those "iffy" times.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Working at Gun Shops for almost 20 years I have carried everything from a NAA Mini Mag to a Glock 21 and a lot of others in between. For the last year or more I have settled on a Ruger SP101 and a LCR357. I carry these Two Guns 99% of the time. I have a few others I will mix in at times but these Two Rugers see the most carry and Range Time.

NMB
    Went from a 1911 > Glock 19 > Kahr CM9

I still own the Kahr and the 1911 :) The CM9 comes with me in and around town, the 1911 when I head fishing or into the mountains.
    sensei2 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have mostly carried my Glock 19 for the last two decades. However at times my Sig P230 and P238 found their way into my waistband when I needed better concealment in the summer or didn't want the extra weight and mass of the G19.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Love to carry my 1911 compact, but gets kinda heavy, so I switch to a 2" snuby 357 and a PT709 9mm. Winter will go back to the 1911
    ericb327 likes this.

I went from a g19 to a 26 to a m&p shield to a g17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

VIP Member
    99.9% of the time I have a mid-sized gun on my person. (Most of the time it is a Glock 23, from time to time it is a Sig 228). When it is imperative that nobody other than me know I am armed I have a PF9 that I carry. And on Jeff Cooper's birthday I tend to carry the 1911 to honor the man that brought handguns into the modern era.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I carried a taurus 85 ss for 20 years then a for a few a kt pf-9 and after shooting cw9 I bought a cm9 for pocket and sold the kt. So for the last few years a cm9 or cw9 kahr. Never carry big as I worked construction and never swap around much. Also tried to stay with the same trigger desig or feel. Just pickup a 738 tcp for when really small is needed but it won'r be cc often.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links