• upsized from small to large

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • What ever I feel like from day to day

Votes: 64 40.3%

How many have down sized?

6K views 58 replies 58 participants last post by  maclean3 
#1 ·
Hello all

I am asking how many have decided after a long time carrying a full size/ large frame handgun
to downsize to something lighter and smaller?

After a few decades of carrying 3lbs of metal (1911 a sig p220ss) I am contemplating switching to something small and lite.

I have not yet, because I am a 45 acp guy but now I tried out a Springfield XDS sure it holds less rds but heck I am a civilian now and don't go looking for trouble. Besides the mags are small you can carry a couple extra just incase of failures.

Post your thoughts and reasons to downsize or not.

Thanks all

Now if there is an option you want and I did not list it in the poll just mention it in your reply we'll all get the Idea.

#2 ·
I wouldent say that I have downsized per say...I primarily carry a Colt 1911 or an S&W 686...but, some days I just don't feel like strapping on that kind of weight. Comfort is the key, you hear time and time again "if its not comfortable, you wont carry it." With that being said...some days I have the 1911 on my hip...other days its the G30...and some days its a S&W 642. I think the only reason I would change for good would be due to physical disability (if something happened to me where I was physically unable to carry a larger firearm) or if, for whatever the reason, I was no longer able to shoot my primary weapon effectively.

#6 ·
Downsizing is always tempting. I've carried the same G19 for years now. I bought a P3AT a year or two ago with the intent of downsizing, but wound up feeling like I'd rather lug around the larger gun than trust a tiny one. I have an SP101, but the only downsizing there is in ammo capacity; it's the same size and quite possibly heavier. It's reliable and solid, but I just like the G19 better so it only sees very rare carry time. I still think about a 642 a lot, but haven't plunked down the cash yet. Possibly when I do I'll switch to it, but I'm in no hurry to buy one.

#7 ·
I just picked up a Ruger LCR .357 for that exact reason. I have the choice now of my XDm 3.8 (medium sized) or the LCR (small sized). Carrying the LCR around the house all evening yesterday I can tell that I will like this as an option.

Also, a well fit holster can make a handgun feel much 'smaller'.

#8 ·
I carry subcompacts up to full size Glocks depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going.

#11 ·
You could do what I did and just change up guns and lighten your load while increasing your available ammunition without downsizing. Sounds almost too good to be true huh? :biggrin2:

I went from a Kimber SIS Pro (full grip, 4 inch barrel) to a Glock 19. The Glock was roughly the same size but lighter and with double the magazine capacity. Didn't feel like a downsize at all. Actually I feel a lot better armed with the lighter high capacity 9mm Glock.

#12 ·
I carry what fits that day. Normally when working I carry a CW45, but after work either a 1911 Commander size or a CZ75 P-01.

#13 ·
Depends on where I'm going. For instance if going to local " stop and rob" or drug store in the evening hours, the 1911 or g19 take a ride.

Other activities are assigned to the j frame.

#17 ·
I've downsized in the last couple of years from necessity, not by choice. Disabling nerve damage to my lower lumbar spine has made it necessary to go from a HK USP 45C/1911 Commander to a M&P9 Shield. As with others I simply carry an additional mag to offset the difference.

#18 ·
I am completely content on my almost EDC. It is 1.5lbs loaded including my Hays OWB holster. I love my Kahr CM9 loaded with Hornady CD. When really cold with lots of clothing I will some times carry my Beretta PX4 SC .40. When really hot (swimsuit weather) its the LCP and Remora. If any one cares except me that is the story. :blink:

#20 ·
I started out years ago with a 4" K frame. My primary carry guns are a 1911, a Browning HP, a Glock 19, or a P7M8. BUG is a Kel Tec .32.

It's a challenge, but totally possible, to wear a full sized gun comfortably and still dress stylish. And I don't believe on choosing based on "I'm going to a bad part of town" or "it's a safe neighborhood" judgements.

#22 ·
Like you, for 30 years I carried a duty gun on my hip, it was usually my EDC as well. Since I have retired my summer gun is the Glock 27 with G23 mags (carries better AIWB) still 14 shots of 40 S&W. My winter gun will be my G31 instead of the G23. I am 6' and 270lbs , I hike 5 miles a day and do moderate exercises to keep my slim girlish figure, If I feel an extra pound is gonna kill me I will just stay in bed.

#23 ·
For work and social reasons, I need to be discreet. I downsized from my Glocks (in a Smartcarry) to dual pocket carry (LCR + LCP, or dual LCPs depending on pocket size/depth). Mainly for comfort issues, but I also appreciate being able to discretly have a firing grip on a gun in my pocket during those "iffy" times.

#24 ·
Working at Gun Shops for almost 20 years I have carried everything from a NAA Mini Mag to a Glock 21 and a lot of others in between. For the last year or more I have settled on a Ruger SP101 and a LCR357. I carry these Two Guns 99% of the time. I have a few others I will mix in at times but these Two Rugers see the most carry and Range Time.

#25 ·
Went from a 1911 > Glock 19 > Kahr CM9

I still own the Kahr and the 1911 :) The CM9 comes with me in and around town, the 1911 when I head fishing or into the mountains.

Reactions: sensei2
#26 ·
I have mostly carried my Glock 19 for the last two decades. However at times my Sig P230 and P238 found their way into my waistband when I needed better concealment in the summer or didn't want the extra weight and mass of the G19.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.