• upsized from small to large

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • What ever I feel like from day to day

Votes: 64 40.3%

How many have down sized?

6K views 58 replies 58 participants last post by  maclean3 
#1 ·
Hello all

I am asking how many have decided after a long time carrying a full size/ large frame handgun
to downsize to something lighter and smaller?

After a few decades of carrying 3lbs of metal (1911 a sig p220ss) I am contemplating switching to something small and lite.

I have not yet, because I am a 45 acp guy but now I tried out a Springfield XDS sure it holds less rds but heck I am a civilian now and don't go looking for trouble. Besides the mags are small you can carry a couple extra just incase of failures.

Post your thoughts and reasons to downsize or not.

Thanks all

Now if there is an option you want and I did not list it in the poll just mention it in your reply we'll all get the Idea.

#29 ·
99.9% of the time I have a mid-sized gun on my person. (Most of the time it is a Glock 23, from time to time it is a Sig 228). When it is imperative that nobody other than me know I am armed I have a PF9 that I carry. And on Jeff Cooper's birthday I tend to carry the 1911 to honor the man that brought handguns into the modern era.

#30 ·
I carried a taurus 85 ss for 20 years then a for a few a kt pf-9 and after shooting cw9 I bought a cm9 for pocket and sold the kt. So for the last few years a cm9 or cw9 kahr. Never carry big as I worked construction and never swap around much. Also tried to stay with the same trigger desig or feel. Just pickup a 738 tcp for when really small is needed but it won'r be cc often.

#33 ·
I carry as large as I can get away with, up to and including 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers or a full-sized Government Model Colt. No downsizing desired here.

#35 ·
I voted "Whatever I feel like from day to day", but really, it's been a slow downsize. I used to carry a Sig 226, then a Glock 21 daily. Then, I was able to go down to a G26 most of the time. Later, I was able to go even smaller (Kahr PM9, then a P45) & now it just depends on what I'm doing. If I need small, it's a Taurus PT709, Kahr P45, or a Glock 26. If I need bigger & more capacity, then it's a Glock 19. I no longer carry a full size gun.

#36 ·
I downsize on the weight by switching to an alloy frame .45 especially in summer with shorts. The holster that I have for that particular firearm distributes the lighter weight really well and the steep forward cant conceals very well under just a T-Shirt.

#40 ·
I started out with the so called subcompact Glocks. They're not. Way too fat. Then I started carrying a .32 Beretta, and later a 380 LCP. It just became evident that I was getting lazy and lulled into a false sense of security by carrying these tiny caliber guns. So, I got a Ruger LC9 9mm, and carried some +p hollow point carry ammo. Then, Springfield released the XDs in my favorite round (.45), in a gun roughly the size of the LC9! Been loving it. Now, I can carry a very good caliber, in a nice small package.

I really think these .380's are dangerous. They just IMHO don't have the stopping power needed, so you're basically carrying around a noise maker that will call attention to your position, but might not actually stop the threat.

#41 ·
Usually a 38 snub or a PF-9, but the 45 officer and the Hi-power clone still get carried. Just recently got a S&W M64 snub and am looking at getting a decent holster for it for carry also. But would have to say the j-frame size snubs get most of the carry probably 90% of the time nowadays.

#42 ·
.357 LCR took the starting job of my Sig P220st. Once it gets colder out and layers of clothes are appropriate the Sig may get the nod again. Especially since I got a new IWB holster from American Holster Co

#43 ·
I go back and forth depending on what I'm doing/wearing. If it's hot and I'm just wearing shorts and t-shirt I pocket carry a LCR. Other times I will carry a Kahr CM9 in a Remora. And if I have a cover garment on I carry my XD9.

#44 ·
I did downsize. Went from my 45 to a Ruger LC9, but I voted whatever I feel like day to day, because there are times when my 45 comes with me. I go with the smaller lighter rigs in summer and warm weather but as the temp drops and I wear a jacket I find it easy to bring something larger. As far as the weight, yes light is nice but I don't want to get used to the lighter weights.

#48 ·
All guns have positive and negative qualities for certain uses or situatuions, so one good reason for having "choices" available and for buying more guns. .

#49 ·
always carry a Glock 19 or Glock 26...that's not changing any time soon. I upsized my BUG from a Keltec 3AT or LCP to a Keltec PF-9, Kahr CM9 or Kahr CM40. Came to the conclusion that if I needed my second gun, I was already in a world of trouble, and the .380 simply doesn't have the ballistics I was looking for in a DRT BUG.

#50 ·
lately i've been switching back and forth between a glock 17 and 19. I do carry the 19 more, so I'd say i've recently went from large to medium. Back before that I went from CW45 to m&p 9c to P220 SAS, all of which were steps up in frame size. But then, I did recently get a j frame that I'm still waiting on a holster to arrive for, so on the days that it gets carried as a primary it will be a big step down in size from either of the glocks...so...I guess you could say that I can't make up my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.