How many have down sized?

This is a discussion on How many have down sized? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all I am asking how many have decided after a long time carrying a full size/ large frame handgun to downsize to something lighter ...

View Poll Results: Downsize or not?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • From large to Med.

17 10.69%
  • From med small

19 11.95%
  • Will stay with full size

17 10.69%
  • Have always carried small

27 16.98%
  • upsized from small to large

15 9.43%
  • What ever I feel like from day to day

64 40.25%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How many have down sized?

Hello all

I am asking how many have decided after a long time carrying a full size/ large frame handgun
    to downsize to something lighter and smaller?

After a few decades of carrying 3lbs of metal (1911 a sig p220ss) I am contemplating switching to something small and lite.

I have not yet, because I am a 45 acp guy but now I tried out a Springfield XDS sure it holds less rds but heck I am a civilian now and don't go looking for trouble. Besides the mags are small you can carry a couple extra just incase of failures.

Post your thoughts and reasons to downsize or not.

Thanks all

Now if there is an option you want and I did not list it in the poll just mention it in your reply we'll all get the Idea.

I wouldent say that I have downsized per say...I primarily carry a Colt 1911 or an S&W 686...but, some days I just don't feel like strapping on that kind of weight. Comfort is the key, you hear time and time again "if its not comfortable, you wont carry it." With that being said...some days I have the 1911 on my hip...other days its the G30...and some days its a S&W 642. I think the only reason I would change for good would be due to physical disability (if something happened to me where I was physically unable to carry a larger firearm) or if, for whatever the reason, I was no longer able to shoot my primary weapon effectively.

VIP Member
    I upsized from a Kimber Ultra Carry main carry/Kahr bug to a Glock 17/19 configuration. I never go smaller than the 19.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I've ended up with a PF9 after toting a PA-63 at times. I don't carry most of the time, and when I do, discretion is paramount.

VIP Member
    I choose based on my activities for the day.
    Kilowatt3 and Chief1297 like this.

Downsizing is always tempting. I've carried the same G19 for years now. I bought a P3AT a year or two ago with the intent of downsizing, but wound up feeling like I'd rather lug around the larger gun than trust a tiny one. I have an SP101, but the only downsizing there is in ammo capacity; it's the same size and quite possibly heavier. It's reliable and solid, but I just like the G19 better so it only sees very rare carry time. I still think about a 642 a lot, but haven't plunked down the cash yet. Possibly when I do I'll switch to it, but I'm in no hurry to buy one.

I just picked up a Ruger LCR .357 for that exact reason. I have the choice now of my XDm 3.8 (medium sized) or the LCR (small sized). Carrying the LCR around the house all evening yesterday I can tell that I will like this as an option.

Also, a well fit holster can make a handgun feel much 'smaller'.

I carry subcompacts up to full size Glocks depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Downsized bigtime! from a commander 1911, glock 23, CZ P01 to a LCP got tired of dressing around the gun and carrying all that weight.

I don't know if I can hide a larger gun on my body, not without wearing clothes that are obviously too big for me. I would like to upsize, maybe in baby steps; that way it gives me an excuse to buy more guns.

You could do what I did and just change up guns and lighten your load while increasing your available ammunition without downsizing. Sounds almost too good to be true huh?

I went from a Kimber SIS Pro (full grip, 4 inch barrel) to a Glock 19. The Glock was roughly the same size but lighter and with double the magazine capacity. Didn't feel like a downsize at all. Actually I feel a lot better armed with the lighter high capacity 9mm Glock.

VIP Member
    I carry what fits that day. Normally when working I carry a CW45, but after work either a 1911 Commander size or a CZ75 P-01.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Depends on where I'm going. For instance if going to local " stop and rob" or drug store in the evening hours, the 1911 or g19 take a ride.

Other activities are assigned to the j frame.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

From Sig P226 duty issued to Glock 26, now retired from
    LEO no need for full sized EDC hand gun.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Lately it's been the 1911 getting to tag along. I absolutely love that gun. If I'm going to be walking around all day though, I'll go with a medium frame polymer pistol like my S&W Sigma.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links