top 5 pistol manufacturers

This is a discussion on top 5 pistol manufacturers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My top 5 for reliability, value, CCW, service and in order: Glock S&W/ Walter Springfield Ruger Beretta/ Sig Sauer tied My top five guns that ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: top 5 pistol manufacturers

My top 5 for reliability, value, CCW, service and in order:
    Glock
    S&W/ Walter
    Springfield
    Ruger
    Beretta/ Sig Sauer tied

My top five guns that I personally carry and in order are:

Ruger LCR
    Sig P238
    Walther PPS
    Beretta PX4
    Springfield XDM 3.8 compact
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    I ordrede a $3k hard chromed 9mm Springfield Custom Shop Full Rail Operator. Waited 1 year for it to be built. Most accurate handgun I have ever shot. With the weight being over 50 oz with the bull barrel, the felt recoil was about 1/2 way inbetween a 9mm and a 22.

I sold it last year, as I moved away from the 1911 platform....

In the 1911 world, its easy to spend $3k-$5k.

(it had front strap, hand checkering, but I liked these wrap around grips at the time)

All that money invested and its still just a 9mm :( what a waste LOL. j/k
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

[QUOTE=bmcgilvray;2366682]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post

I disagree.

If capacity is deemed very important then the 1911 should be passed over and a gun holding "lotsa bullets" should be obtained

It must be said that perfectly reliable 1911 type guns may be had for well under $2000. Less than half that actually. It's nonsense to claim otherwise.

When any firearm is put to use, parts actually begin wearing out when the first round fired rather than starting at 4-6K. Parts do not wear out "way quicker" with the 1911 or even significantly quicker. This is more nonsense.

This Colt was a worn, 60-year-old clunk when it was obtained in 1978 for $145. After acquisition, a number of canvas bank coin bags of handloads, at 1200 rounds each, were cycled through it before I obtained a second .45 automatic in 1981-82. It continued to see regular shooting duty afterward and continues to do so to this day. It's always functioned reliably and it's now 94 years old. It's even decently accurate for what it is. Other than a couple of recoil springs through the years, it's retained all the parts that were in it back in 1978. The front sight did go AWOL in 2008, requiring a replacement. There's also a WWII Remington Rand 1911A1 here that has given dependable satisfaction for many years and a more recently acquired 1947 vintage Colt Government Model is a sweet, well-mannered shooter with zero reliability issues so far.

Weight is subjective. Some folks would consider the 39 oz 1911 to be a medium weight handgun and don't consider it to be either too heavy or too large for concealed carry use. Some people even like weight and dislike shrunken compact models.

Triggers are subjective and discernment plays its part. Some folks feel a trigger is more important than others do and for those people, a single-action trigger answers. Any trigger may be learned but some just aren't interested in inferior triggers.

I guess I did a poor job of writing #3. What I meant to say was that 1911 parts require replacement sooner than all other modern pistols I am aware of.

A couple questions if you don't mind as I do not understand why you replied the way you did.

1. I gave this thread my "subjective" reasons, why do you "disagree" with my personal decision to move away from 1911's?

2. How is capacity not important? Especially in a defensive pistol?

3. Why carry such an out-dated design when there are many other pistols out there that are more reliable, require less maintenance, hold more ammo, can take more of a beating, and simply accomplish the same job better?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

.XX
    What about a happy medium solution? The STI Tactical 4.0 (2011 pistol).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by .XX; August 25th, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
    Pete63 likes this.

Hi Wiggity;

1. I'm not disagreeing with your personal decision to move away from the 1911. That's your business. I emphatically disagree with the statement that 1911 parts require replacement sooner than all other pistols. I also disagree that reliable 1911 pistols cannot be had for well under $2000. The claims you make need to be disputed here so folks aren't led astray.

In fact, all the reliable 1911 pistols I've ever seen cost way under $2000. I don't even run in the circles where the high-dollar custom 1911 guns may be found. This is based on personal observation of several 1911 type pistols over the years.

2. High capacity is more important to some folks than it is to others. It is not flawed thinking to be content with the capacity of the 1911. One may positively influence a situation with 7+1 rounds. I generally carry a 6-shot revolver and so do many others here. It's personal self-defense and not the Normandy Invasion.

3. Why would the 1911 be considered outdated? Is it because it's fabricated out of steel rather than cheap molded plastic and non-ferrous alloys? Perhaps it's because its ammunition capacity doesn't encourage "spray & pray?" Admiring less maintenance could be seen as embracing neglect. The 1911 guns will take more of a beating than the enthused forum member is going to dish out. No "new crop" automatic can accomplish the job of flinging projectiles any better than a 1911 can for one can't get any better than complete dependablity.

Both the 1911 and the latest pistol designs utilize self-contained metallic cartridges, a design technology that is 150 years old now. All are repeating pistol designs with different ammunition capacities. There is much less difference between designs than we like to think. A full-sized 1911 is about the only automatic I'm willing to carry and it's because I prefer its features and reliability over any other popular design. Everyone doesn't assume "new" is superior.

This is one person's observation, offered as food for thought.
    OD*, .XX, buckfynn and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Letting people know that I don't understand why one would carry a gun that requires more maintenance, holds less ammo, and can't take as much abuse is not leading them astray.

We clearly have different experiences with, and opinions on, this firearm and that is okay.

However, don't tell me I'm "leading people astray" when I am simply sharing my experience.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Browning
    Colt
    S&W/ Walter
    Glock
    Ruger

These are my choices.

"However, don't tell me I'm "leading people astray" when I am simply sharing my experience."

Broad-brush, inaccurate generalizations can conceal the truth and belie the experiences of a number of folks posting here.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

My $900 Colt 1911 is 100% stock, dead nuts accurate, and has shown no sign of wearing out. Has never batted an eye in the reliability department either. I'd rate it as high as my Glock in ability to take abuse. Spending more than $2000 on one just seems silly to me unless you're looking for some eye candy.

The only thing I don't like about the 1911 design is how relatively complex it is to disassemble. It's not difficult to do, but it's something of a multistep process and I always have to get the manual out despite having done it dozens of times.

It is true that they hold less ammo though.

Back to the original point, my rankings in no particular order would be:

Smith and Wesson
    Colt
    Sig Sauer
    Glock
    Berretta

Other favorites that don't quite make the top 5 but I still think are top notch include Bersa, CZ, Walther, and Browning.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "However, don't tell me I'm "leading people astray" when I am simply sharing my experience."

Broad-brush, inaccurate generalizations can conceal the truth and belie the experiences of a number of folks posting here.
    I'm my experience, everything I said is true.

How does my experience with 1911's conceal the truth about them and belie your experience?

Sense, this makes none.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Wiggity;2367299]
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

I guess I did a poor job of writing #3. What I meant to say was that 1911 parts require replacement sooner than all other modern pistols I am aware of.

A couple questions if you don't mind as I do not understand why you replied the way you did.

1. I gave this thread my "subjective" reasons, why do you "disagree" with my personal decision to move away from 1911's?

2. How is capacity not important? Especially in a defensive pistol?

3. Why carry such an out-dated design when there are many other pistols out there that are more reliable, require less maintenance, hold more ammo, can take more of a beating, and simply accomplish the same job better?
    We may be a minority of 2, but my thoughts about the 1911 are much the same as yours. It was a brilliant design in it's time, but nostalgia aside, there are, in my opinion, which is experssed when I spend my money, a lot better values for concealed carry defensive pistols than the 1911 design, especially for concealed carry in smaller sizes.

Browning was a genius, but Gaston Glock took advantage of modern materials and production methods to pioneer a new style of handgun that is less expensive, less fussy about ammo, requires less maintainance, is more tolerant of dust, dirt, and grime, and with significantly more ammo capacity than the 1911 design. Gaston's Glock was the beginning of a whole new era in handguns. One could argue the Glock concept has been improved by others, but it is still the gold standard for the modern combat and defense pistol in essentially any popular cartridge.

I'd much rather buy a gun for half the price that I trust to carry right out of the box than something that costs nearly twice to six or seven as much and needs 200 to 500 rounds of breakin. I've seen an Ed Brown custom 1911 bob tail which cost more than all my handguns added up that was a picky eater and required multiple trips back to the factory to make it almost function as well as my $550.00 Glock did on day 1.

All three of my Glocks were packable on day 1. I put a patch through the bore and 50 rounds thorugh them to make friends with them, but not because they needed any breakin - all three were flawless from the first time they came out of the case. So was my M&P Shield, though I sold it to buy a Glock 36. So was my good friends XD. I will probably buy an XDs in about a year when I'm sure they have all the bugs worked out - right now I wouldn't trust it out of the box but I might in a year. Time will tell.

The closest thing to a 1911 I have is my SIG P238. Fantastic little pocket gun. My wife has one too - the reason I have my own is she got cranky when I wanted to borrow hers.

If a person want's a good reliable concealed carry weapon that can be counted on to work brand new right out of the box with any off the shelf ammo of the proper caliber they would be well advised to buy something other than a 1911.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    If a person want's a good reliable concealed carry weapon that can be counted on to work brand new right out of the box with any off the shelf ammo of the proper caliber they would be well advised to buy something other than a 1911.
    I'm glad no one told my Colt that. The only "break-in" it needed was apparently accomplished after I racked the slide for the first time.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I'm glad no one told my Colt that. The only "break-in" it needed was apparently accomplished after I racked the slide for the first time.
    Congrats! You got a good one. Now go shoot 5k rounds through it without cleaning or lubing and see what happens. Then clean it, if that doesn't solve your problem, replace some springs, then you will have a reliable pistol again.

Fitch, glad you realize there are cheaper pistols that accomplish the same thing better in several different levels. I am not a glock fan, but they are solid pistols. I like my HK's!
    ericb327 likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Poor advice to shoot five thousand rounds through a handgun without cleaning or lubricating. It proves not a thing except that the owner is negligent and foolhardy. We'll start a 1911 bashing thread and leave this one for top 5 manufacturers.
    380ACP, wmhawth and Pete63 like this.

I'd rank them differently for specific uses but for me (in order) based upon my experiences and my uses...
    1. Glock
    2. Ruger
    3. Uberti
    4. Les Baer
    5. HK

IF it were six I'd add Sig Sauer.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links