Who carries a .44 Special?

This is a discussion on Who carries a .44 Special? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of pre-war Smith & Wesson .44 Special revolvers. Top: A Model of 1926 (Third Model) that shipped in March of 1932, visiting with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Who carries a .44 Special?

A couple of pre-war Smith & Wesson .44 Special revolvers.

Top: A Model of 1926 (Third Model) that shipped in March of 1932, visiting with a friendly Triple Lock from 1910 while on a trip to Tennessee.
    BamaT and wmhawth like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have a couple of S&W 696s that I carry one or the other on occassion.
    Great guns, accurate, reliable and realitively easy to conceal with good leather.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

I used to carry a Lew Horton model 24 or 624 .44 special snub it's been years since i have carried either pistol .These day's i just pull em out take em to the range on occasion and have a little fun.I have yearned for a 696 or 296 for years.
    The easy way is always mined.

When I am not carrying my 1911 I carry a Charter Arms 44 special bulldog. My dream is that Ruger or S&W will bring out a nice quality all steel 44 spcl the same size as the bulldog.

Michael
    03, 45ACP4ever and BamaT like this.

CA Bulldog Pug.

Kramer Gun Leather pocket holster, and a belt holster from the same. I prefer this defensive platform because of its simplicity, and large munitions. With the pocket holster, carries just fine in pants pocket. In cold weather, I switch to my belt holster, which my jacket hides.

Hard to beat the Bulldog Pug, in .44 special. I have other pistols & revolvers. But with the autos, in a quick think situation, "Is a round chambered? Safety disengaged?" And with all these small calibers in the attractive cute little auto frames, it would nevertheless be difficult to validate a defensive shooting if the victim had to shoot the perp multiple times.
    With the .44 special, a defensive argument is much more defendable, because only one shot was required, instead of an entire magazine. I use autos for practice on the range, a magnum for hunting, but for concealed carry - always the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Its great to see all of the posts on here. Very nice.

I suspect that they were carried in the capacity of a SD gun more often back in the day - when Dirty Harry popularized the .44 Mag. I'm guessing that they are mostly used for a woods gun today. Just a guess based on my perceptions.

Carried a Charter Undercover for years and upgraded to a stainless .44 spl Bulldog Pug that I occasionally carry now. I made a homemade billfold/holster that fits in my back pocket and hides the little pistol in what looks like a billfold sticking up if my shirt tail rides up too high.
    holster wallet access smaller.jpg

I don't have a .44 Special, but I keep eying the Charter Arms.

I'd also like to see a .44 Special Ruger SP101. That gun is enough of a beast that they should be able to up it to .44 Special in roughly the same footprint.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Five .44 Special chambers would be stretching dimensional capabilities of the SP 101's cylinder. There's not enough room.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes..But a Speed Six sized LCR would be splendid.

I like the big holes as produced by a .44 Special but think that in comparison to a .357 LCR,

my current 3 inch Bulldog...

is a bit big for any pocket carry.

I'll sell it eventually- and downsize to the LCR or Gen 4 Glock 33 when they become more available.

No big hurry.

Cost of .44 Special practice and carry ammo is also a consideration when I already shoot .357 SIG.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

ca 44 here

FA M97 44SP is my hiking gun.

Believe it or not, I saw a Taurus .44 Special (Model 431?) Gunsite Ranch (bobbed, tuned & Raven stamped) last weekend with a 3" hybrid ported barrel. One of my best shooting buddies bought it. Only Taurus I've EVER lusted-after.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Five .44 Special chambers would be stretching dimensional capabilities of the SP 101's cylinder. There's not enough room.
    The SP101 would need a slightly larger cylinder window and cylinder, but overall the SP101 and the CA Bulldog Pug are about the same size. I'd buy at least two .44 Special SP101s.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links