Who carries a .44 Special? - Page 3

Who carries a .44 Special?

This is a discussion on Who carries a .44 Special? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Occasionally carry my Charter stainless Pug--will carry more now that cooler weather allows easier concealment under bulky clothing. I "smush" the nose of a 240g ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Who carries a .44 Special?

Occasionally carry my Charter stainless Pug--will carry more now that cooler weather allows easier concealment under bulky clothing.

I "smush" the nose of a 240g SWC into a sharp-edged meplat of .35 or so, IIRC, loaded at 650-700. Heavier bullet has more useful POI than 200g lead or jacketed, and sometimes the jacketed Blazer GDHP seem to be keyholing, although I haven't made certain. I love XTP's, but don't want to try to push one fast enough from a 2.5" barrel to get reliable expansion, since the 180g "speed demon" hits quite low.

Although my recovery time is a bit longer than I'd like with the heavy bullet, and I don't pattern one-handed 2-3 round bursts as tightly as I'd like, I feel very well-armed with it for up-close SD. It also pulls duty as a truck gun as a second gun when I carry something smaller concealed on my person.

Interesting that so many folks are keen on am SP101 .44 spl. Gunsmith, inventor & innovator Paris Theodore build a few 5 shot, custom Ruger Speed Sixes...in .41 spl. Now before all the caliber experts begin to grab their torches & pitchforks, let me explain. He simply shortened .41 mag. brass to the same length as .44 spl. & developed a nice handload for it. Theo was quite an interesting character, working with any number of foreign & domestic "Governmental Agencies" and his (unclassified) work includes a heavily modified S&W 3913 pistol called the ASP. The entrance to his non-descript, almost unnoticeable New York City gun shop was very, VERY difficult to locate. He was a friend of mine, but I'm STILL not at liberty to tell you...how we became acquainted.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Interesting that so many folks are keen on am SP101 .44 spl. Gunsmith, inventor & innovator Paris Theodore build a few 5 shot, custom Ruger Speed Sixes...in .41 spl. Now before all the caliber experts begin to grab their torches & pitchforks, let me explain. He simply shortened .41 mag. brass to the same length as .44 spl. & developed a nice handload for it. Theo was quite an interesting character, working with any number of foreign & domestic "Governmental Agencies" and his (unclassified) work includes a heavily modified S&W 3913 pistol called the ASP. The entrance to his non-descript, almost unnoticeable New York City gun shop was very, VERY difficult to locate. He was a friend of mine, but I'm STILL not at liberty to tell you...how we became acquainted.
    The 41 special is not a new concept or invention at all. I have been doing that for years. The 41 magnum is the only magnum that did not start out as a " special ".
    And if I recall correctly, Colt chambered some guns for the 41 special in years gone by.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Yep, the .41 mag was uniquely the older of the two calibers. Paris was just the only modern gunsmith (to my knowledge) to build a dedicated gun to fire only the .41 spl. I wish I had bought one of them I saw on Gunbroker about 6 years ago. The seller apparently didn't know Paris build it 'cause he wasn't mentioned. I recognised some of the features (numbered cylinders, no flutes, etc.).

Whoops! Pardon the highjack. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links