Problems with a Gunsmith

This is a discussion on Problems with a Gunsmith within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger Redhawk at the gunsmith getting the barrel cut off to 3.5 inches. This was supposed to take about a month. It ...

Thread: Problems with a Gunsmith

Question Problems with a Gunsmith

I have a Ruger Redhawk at the gunsmith getting the barrel cut off to 3.5 inches. This was supposed to take about a month. It has been over two months. Also he has tried to put the front sight on at least three times and can't seem to get it right. My question is should I make him send it to ruger and get the barrel put back to factory specs and get the job done right by Bowen or Reeder Custom Gunsmiths or just get my gun back and send it to ruger myself?

2. Remove Ads

I would be hard on the guy and tell him he screwed up too many times. People make mistakes, but if he can't put a sight on right, after 3 tries....he needs to think about getting a different job.

I've tried to learn as much gunsmithing as I can. It's hard when you don't have the tools to do everything, but I can't stand the long waits to get guns back.

Unfortunately, the best gunsmiths always have long waits.

I may be wrong, but I doubt Ruger (or any Manufacturer) would touch the gun after someone has cut the barrel down. Likewise, many gunsmiths will not "follow up" on someone else's work (or mistake). You might just try to express your unsatisfaction with the time table your gun is being worked on and ask the current gunsmith to finish the project as soon as posible. Next time I would recommend trading the gun in (or selling it) to get one with a shorter barrel. Anytime you cut off a pistol or rifle barrel you can throw off the guns accuracy, unless done properly, even then I don't know if I would suggest it, IMO.

I think I'd insist on the gun being sent to Ruger and a factory barrel fitted to bring the gun back to the condition it was in before the "gunsmith" hacked it up. I can see the gunsmith fighting this, though, so as to not have to pay for it.

In all honesty, you would probably be better off getting the gun back, and sending it off to Ruger yourself. While they're working on it, learn all you can about filing suit in small claims court. Oh, and keep all your receipts... That'll probably be the only way you can get any of your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk41 View Post
    Also he has tried to put the front sight on at least three times and can't seem to get it right.
    Care to clarify that? Has he cut & re-cut a dovetail, or drilled several holes in the rib? Stop him where he's at on the project, and pick up your gun. As long as he hasn't cut too deeply anywhere, his efforts could be filled, or milled out and "corrected". Any of the pros should at least take a look at it for you, and give you a good faith estimate/assessment. Ruger might take it back, but most manufacturers wouldn't- a call is only $.50, though .

I've been looking at doing this myself, but haven't had the $$ to put into a Redhawk. Personally, on a stainless gun, bad screw holes can be filled with long, stainless, plug screws, cut off, and filed flush. You then can do your own dovetail, or drill & tap, or drill & epoxy, a ramp in place to mount the blade. Feel free to PM.....

Links