Ammo Question...

This is a discussion on Ammo Question... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been firing 115 grain 9mm through my Beretta PX4. I bought some 147 grain 9mm today and I'm wondering what I difference, if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Question...

Ammo Question...

I have been firing 115 grain 9mm through my Beretta PX4.
    I bought some 147 grain 9mm today and I'm wondering what I difference, if any, I should expect as far as impact point at 7 yards.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

At that short a range, the difference in recoil and how you manage it will make more of a difference than the external ballistics of the two rounds. From a Ransom rest or similar, probably less than a quarter of an inch in POI.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I agree with this. It will be subjective on how the recoil will certainly effect the POI. You will know soon enough.

Thanks for the responses. I was trying to find some 124 grain, but no one seems to have any of that, so I thought I would try the 147 and see how it worked. I really like the PX4 so far with only 100 rounds through it. It's had no malfunctions. Very reliable so far.

I use 115 grain as my practice/range ammo, and 147 grain Golden Sabers as my carry load. (I do of course regularly practice with the carry loads.) At 21 feet, there is no effective difference in POI.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

^^^^^^^^^
    I use 115 grain for practice (either WWB or Remington UMC) and 147 grain Federal HST for carry. I notice no difference in point of impact and negligible difference in recoil/shots back on target).

Just be sure you practice carry load shooting as well.

I've put maybe 50rnds through my buddy's PX4, and I was impressed at how it handled recoil (like any Beretta I've fired), so I doubt recoil should affect you that much at that distance.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    I don't think that you will notice a difference at short range.

Normally my practice and carry ammo has same bullet weight
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I have about 500 rounds thru my SC PX4 9mm and 200 thru my full size .40. Recoil has pretty much been the same for both and not readily that bad at all. The PX4 is a very smooth firearm In my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
    I bought some 147 grain 9mm today and I'm wondering what I difference, if any, I should expect as far as impact point at 7 yards.

Thanks.
    At 7yds....change in POI? Barrel length? Same sight picture? Likely negligible.
    I'm just going word for word and reading your post. Point of impact change. Not concerned with recoil effects, or your follow up shots here.....those things depend on you. Take the difference in projectile weight and extend it to 15-25yds might see more of a difference. 7yds to me is pretty close to point shooting anyway. Maintain your standard sight picture and see what happens. Don't try to compensate for the heavier load until you know for sure that you'll need to for the distance. Practice is always good, and yes....we practice with what we have, and what's available. We make the best of what we have at the time. Your mind is the best defense you have.....your firearms are tools. Everything else? Keep it simple.

Agree with the previous comments, minimal difference. FWIW, I have gone entirely to 147 gr in 9mm; for me they are more accurate than the 124/5 gr I load and it seems to have a "nicer" recoil impulse.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Have noticed that the 147 grain will sometimes JAM in short-barreled guns. Think it was designed for full-sized models. Seen this several times on the firing line and good friend experienced it with a few guns. One manufacture after receiving the new gun back in question sent it back, with test fired target and explaination that you could use any load up to 124 grain in weight and even +P+ but that the 147 grain had some known problems cycling the slide. Keep this in mind if target practice vs. carry for defense as you don't want the gun jamming because of the ammo. I also don't know why Remington is still making that UMC yellow box junk. I've personally shot the stuff and seen it expended in several calibers and guns...it's the worst stuff made for accuracy. Goes bang but probably easier to hit the target with a rock thrown by hand. The Precision Made Cartridges or PMC is probably the dirtiest ammo I've shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Have noticed that the 147 grain will sometimes JAM in short-barreled guns. Think it was designed for full-sized models. Seen this several times on the firing line and good friend experienced it with a few guns. One manufacture after receiving the new gun back in question sent it back, with test fired target and explaination that you could use any load up to 124 grain in weight and even +P+ but that the 147 grain had some known problems cycling the slide. Keep this in mind if target practice vs. carry for defense as you don't want the gun jamming because of the ammo. I also don't know why Remington is still making that UMC yellow box junk. I've personally shot the stuff and seen it expended in several calibers and guns...it's the worst stuff made for accuracy. Goes bang but probably easier to hit the target with a rock thrown by hand. The Precision Made Cartridges or PMC is probably the dirtiest ammo I've shot.
    I disagree on this as a generalization. Post manufacturer and weapon info to support your claim when alleging sich issues. These claims are, in my experience, myths and not facts. *flamesuit on*

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
    It'll depend on the gun.

I've had some pistols that behave a little differently when handling the recoil of 115gr, 124gr and 147gr, particularly when there are serious pressure differences (as with a light target load and a heavy defense load). In a Browning BDM 9mm, for example, the 124gr medium-hot loads seemed easiest to put right on target, whereas the 115gr, 147gr and particularly lighter target loads (in whatever weight bullet) varied POI somewhat from the "ideal" 124gr medium-hot load that worked best for me with that pistol. I'd had ~20K rounds through the run and was highly accurate with it, but the slight variation was clear. Not that there was much difference, but at ~10yds plus, the variation clearly resulted in wider groups.

Point being: you'll need to test it, to see what you see. IMO, it'll vary somewhat by virtue of the fact that it's you doing the firing, with your level of strength and motor skills, with the given weight/balance of gun you're using. There'll be an ideal match in there somewhere. You'll just need to play around with the ammo choices until you find what seems to work best.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Shooting it in a PX4 Beretta, recoil is not a factor ... you won't know the difference. What differences will you notice ??? NONE ! ! ! !

Now, if you are shooting at 100 yrds, aim 1-2" higher and see where that puts the round in comparison.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links