Which glock?

This is a discussion on Which glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I'm new here. I was wanting to get some advice on what glock y'all would recommend for a woods gun? I do a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Which glock?

Which glock?

Hey guys I'm new here. I was wanting to get some advice on what glock y'all would recommend for a woods gun? I do a lot of bowhunting, and was wanting something small enough to not get in the way, but powerful enough to handle black bears, hogs etc.. I'm looking at the glock 20,21,29, or 36, but open to all advice. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I'd prefer the full-sized models. The 10mm would be the stoutest if you want to "handle" those critters but I'd be happy with the .45 ACP as well.
    tmoore912, Fitch, GH and 2 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

^^ Agree with that!

10mm hands down!!! For a semi-auto that is.. handgun in general I would go with the .44 magnum. If you do go with the 10mm you have to be very particular with ammo, double tap or buffalo bore is probably your best bet besides reloads.

My old man carries the g20 in NC and I think that is about as good as it gets for a nice, light gun that is adequate for protection from bears among all others

people say its a tough round to handle but in my opinion its easier to handle than a .40 s&w
    ZX9RCAM, 40Bob and highvoltage like this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I concur, the bear and hog issue bump you up to the G20 with hard cast bullets as the best solution. You could go G29, but I like the full sized gun in 10mm much better, especially with heavy boutique rounds. It's still possible to conceal it easily if you dress around the gun and use a good holster/belt combo.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I agree with 10MM! Or G30.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Glock Woods gun? Yeah, I go with the 10mm round if it was me.
    ZX9RCAM likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    10mm if you stay with Glock. Otherwise .44 magnum for bear.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    10mm if you stay with Glock. Otherwise .44 magnum for bear.
    plus one. 44 mag and/or a glock 10mm is the best for the woods in pistol form.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

10mm with preference toward the 29 if CC is another goal.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Ok. Thanks guys..what about a holster for the g20? I wear a safety harness and a backpack most times. I was thinking a good paddle holster? I want to beable to get to the gun quick.

I got the G20SF for the very same reason. If going scouting, I just wear a Raven Concealment. When going hunting and having a backpack and rifle, I'd like to get some sort of chest rig. I haven't purchased one yet. A chest rig will provide easier access, especially if you have the belt strap on a heavy bag.

Good luck. As someone mentioned, the G20 is not very snappy as some might think. BTW that IS with full power loads like Double Tap.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Being completely honest, if you have to have a semi-auto, I think the 10mm would be best from all I've heard.

But, other than my 1911 (simply because it's a full size .45ACP), if I really 'needed' a woods gun; the smallest would be a good 4" .357 magnum. I'm sure it's not what you really want to hear, but that would be my recommendation.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    I split the difference with a G30 for 45 ACP goodness on concealed carry, and a 10mm barrel, springs & mags if I'm on hog country.

Although lately, I've been quite comfy with a .357 on my hip in the woods (but the question was for Glock).
    Last edited by WHEC724; August 23rd, 2012 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter5 View Post
    Ok. Thanks guys..what about a holster for the g20? I wear a safety harness and a backpack most times. I was thinking a good paddle holster? I want to beable to get to the gun quick.
    My dad has the blackhawk serpa holster. I know theres a lot of mixed feelings about the safety of it but IMO its perfectly fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links