Back up hunting 9mm ammo

This is a discussion on Back up hunting 9mm ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys I know 9mm isn't the best for hogs. This is NOT a discussion about how you'd rather climb a tree or out run ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Johnnyfrom

Thread: Back up hunting 9mm ammo

Back up hunting 9mm ammo

Ok guys I know 9mm isn't the best for hogs. This is NOT a discussion about how you'd rather climb a tree or out run your fat friend. I've killed tons of wild pigs with my glock 19. Some up into the 200+ pound range. I have had a Hornady xtp go through and through on a 120 pound pig in the head from about 20 yards. I live in south Texas and see pigs in the 3-4 hundred pound range sometimes. I once shot a 400 lb sow behind the shoulder with a .270 it took off and took out a bobwire fence before it died.

My question is what kind of ammo have any of y'all used in 9mm or other pistol calibers for pigs and share some hog handgun stories.

Currently I load A corbon +p in the tube if I get a broad side shot or something then the clip loaded buffalo
    bore +p+ penetrator FMJ-FN or NATO FMJs. What do y'all think of the a barnes tsx solid copper for hogs? Most of my hog hunting is done from vehicles and so the
    pistol is great when you drive up on some pigs and don't have time to navigate a rifle out the window.

AGAIN NOT A DISCUSSION ON THE LIMITATIONS OR OTHER CALIBERS THAT ARE BETTER. I have them.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The COR-BON DPX cartridges have the 9mm version of the Barnes TSX solid copper. I carry the +P version of those in my 19 and 26 for EDC. I like the TTSX bullets and I've had good results with them in rifles at medium ranges (to 300 yards or so).

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

This is NOT a discussion about how you'd rather climb a tree or out run your fat friend.
    Boy you just took all the fun out of this thread.
    To be perfectly honest It's gonna be more about shot placement than anything else.Might be a great way to test ammo such as Ranger T's,Gold Dots,Golden Sabre Etc. and check expansion etc when going into the chest cavity and or penetrating any hard bone
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Boy you just took all the fun out of this thread.
    LOL. He sure did.

FWIW, I know a hogger that also uses a G19 as a backup and has killed many a boar with it, and with sub-standard cheap ammo at that.

I'm not going to recommend his ammo brand, but I'd go with hard, heavy and fast. Penetration is the name of the game here.
    glockman10mm likes this.

VIP Member
    I prefer a 70 lb draw weight compound bow with a 3" overdraw, 2312 aluminum arrow tipped with a 125gr 3 blades broadhead.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I would use the same ammo you trust your life with when you carry your G19 or any other 9mm as your CCW.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I would use the same ammo you trust your life with when you carry your G19 or any other 9mm as your CCW.
    I wouldn't.

Hogs are a good bit tougher than people. Expansion means nothing if it gets stuck in their armor.

147 weight +p.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    147 weight +p.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

147 gr FMJ
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Ok let's get this going again. What about the new hornady +p 135 grain critical duty for pigs? It performs great in barrier testing so I figure it will do we'll penetrating a hogs thick bone and hide. Anyways I'm going to try it this weekend.
    MikeyIdaho likes this.

Johnnyfrom,
    Interesting question. I'll admit I've never killed a hog w/ a handgun, but I've always heard how tough they are. What about just using the highest velocity FMJ round that shoots well in your M19? Using a self defense round, I'd worry the bullet might expand enough to prevent full penetration, resulting in no exit wound. A 9mm that results in both an entrance and exit wound should cause lots of damage in between.

How about some Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo ??? God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If I was going after a hog with a handgun, I'd take this one:

5-1/5" Ruger BlackHawk .45 Colt. Custom Cocobolo grips, Wolf trigger return spring, action polished, cylinder and forcing cone reamed. Trigger breaks crisp as breaking a glass rod at about 3 lbs. It shoots a Laser Cast 255g LSWC a ~1,100 fps into 1" groups at 25 yards, and that's not nearly as hot as it can be loaded, it's just as hot as I can shoot well enough to hunt with. In fact, in a Ruger BlackHawk the .45 Colt can be safely loaded to almost .44 magnum muzzle energy (do not shoot this in your genuine Colt peacemaker, or your Italian clones). The larger bullet diameter gives the gas a 10.5% bigger piston to work on. That bullet will go right through a deer, end to end. With this as an option, I'd leave my nines home. This cartridge has thump in places the nine doesn't even have places.

Heck, I'd leave all my semi-auto's home, this is a handgun for putting meat in the freezer.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Re: Back up hunting 9mm ammo

When I read the OP statement the first round that came to mind was the Critical Duty 135gr +p, bought a box but it penetrates almost more than I prefer which would be great for this. My other choice for maximum penetration would be Double Tap 147gr +p FMJ http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...dram9223opkcn7

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Links