A different type of back up gun

This is a discussion on A different type of back up gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have all seen the threads about carrying back up guns. I also know that just about everyone on this forum have multiple guns of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A different type of back up gun

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

We have all seen the threads about carrying back up guns. I also know that just about everyone on this forum have multiple guns of various types. But I would like to propose another scenario.

Say you carry a real gun like a Glock 19 or 26. Let's say "something" happens and you no longer have your main carry gun. Something could be a theft, confiscation, loss in a terrible boating accident, or something else. Do you have another Glock 19/26, a back up gun so to speak, to replace your main carry gun so you don't have to go out and purchase a new one?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

The only gun I have in multiple exact copies is the LCP - I have two of them, and my wife has one. All three are configured exactly the same. The reason I have two is because, at times, I carry them both...like today. At other times it is a LCR + one LCP. Depends on pocket size and wardrobe for the day.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

sgb
    I believe in redundancy so my answer is yes I have multiple replacements for my EDC as well as my backups and long guns ............... but apparently no real guns as I no longer own any glocks.
    darbo and bmcgilvray like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

My G23 is my backup gun. It backs up a Mossberg 500 Persuader.

Nope, no multiples for me
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Moderator
    Ihave multiple .357 revolvers (but not the same type) and multiple M1 carbines
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I have 3 S&W j-frames, slight variations (49, 649, 442). Grips on all 3 are the same. More because I like smith snubs, but I shoot them all the same. My primary carry is XD40sc though.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

While I enjoy several EDC alternatives should my primary go MIA, it would not be an exact duplicate. Variety is the spice of life (*but don't mention to Mrs. Ghost Tracker that I said that).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    No two of the same here. Multiple makes in multiple calibers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have exact duplicates of several of my carry guns including the G19....not because I am afraid of losing one, I just like them bunches.
    bunker likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Yes, I have multiples of all of my Glocks, but only because I've won three in the last two years in competition.

If not for that, I would not worry about exact duplication. I would still have other carry pieces at the ready. As long as the MOA is relatively close AND you train with those others from time to time, you should have a fairly quick transition if you ever need to.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I use a Gen4 G22 with a light as my normal EDC. Sometimes, depending on what I'm carrying (backpack or briefcase) I'll have my Gen3 G22 as a backup, other times it's the G27 in an ankle holster. This way I only need to carry one type of spare magazine. The pistols aren't identical but I have the same sight setup on each pistol (fiber optic front and plain rear), they all point in a similar manner and after a little work (minor polishing) they have very similar triggers.

I have more than one skillet in the kitchen and more than one pot, so you can bet I have more than "one" EDC. Put another way, I dont' know if I have a "true" EDC, because I vary it frequently.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Let me introduce to you - Thunder and Lightning:

Not same gun but I do have multiple carry guns
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links