Tried out the M&P45 and the G21 today

This is a discussion on Tried out the M&P45 and the G21 today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been looking to get one of the two... I've been a long time (4 years?) fan of M&P pistols and really like them. they fit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tried out the M&P45 and the G21 today

Tried out the M&P45 and the G21 today

Been looking to get one of the two... I've been a long time (4 years?) fan of M&P pistols and really like them. they fit my hand well, I like the angle, and I like the trigger...

I have shot my fair of glocks too. I used them in the police academy and shot friend's glocks. I was always good with them, but I never thought they fit my hand well. so I never really cared for them

Well today I had the opportunity to try them side by side...

I have large hands. a mk23 just fits my hand. I always thought a M&P with the medium grips fit my hand well too...

at my little range session today, I shot the G21 first. I realized that with the regular backstrap (gen 4) it fit my hand real well. I was surprised because people always said it was a large gun to hold. I was good with it. nothing worth mentioning or making me a better shooter. I shot to my capabilities... I did 5 rounds of slow fire at 7 yards and it was your regular grouping. nice and tight like it should be at that distance.

Now I tried the MP45... wow... I was amazed that I realized holding the Glock 21 actually felt better for me. it filled inside my palm better and didn't feel like I had gaps in there. I was able to 'better' wrap my palm and fingers around the glock... I shot the MP45 and it felt like all my other M&P pistols. the recoil was similar to a .40

going back and forth, I did some rapid firing (shoot-reacquire target-shoot) both were within expected accuracy. Within the 7 yards at rapid fire I was able to keep the groups at around 5 inches.

going out to 25 yards, the glock hit left about 2 inches. but grouped decent... the MP45 was spot on bullseye with a slightly tigther group.

I would load both pistols get them ready to go, shoot one, then right after pickup the next one and keep shooting.

I felt like I was splitting hairs trying to decide which I preferred. I think my HUGE bias towards the M&P series didn't help either.

This is how I decided... (really splitting hairs)

Glock felt slightly lighter, it held 3 more rounds, felt like it filled my hands better, less felt recoil out of gen4 (at least for me)
    MP45 looked better, I preferred the trigger and slow fire I was more accurate with it

considering more capacity is an important thing, less felt recoil is good for followups and pretty much on par accuracy with eachother, I decided against my beloved M&P series and chose the Glock 21...

I'm really sad to say I didn't choose the M&P45, but in the end it's what you feel better with. I felt better with both, but the little advantages like more capacity let me split that hair and go with the glock.

Here are the contenders
    Fitch and Ranger45 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Thats what it is about, take 2 quality firearms and shoot them, one is going to feel better and perform better for YOU .... does not matter what anyone else says, it is what you choose because you are the only one that can answer the question, which feels better.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Nice choice. I actually think Glock looks better
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I recently fired some M&Ps. They are nice guns, but like you said, they are like shoes. Go with the one that fits you better.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Traitor!

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    Traitor!

Lol
    I know...

I've been dissing the glock recently, but I never did a side by side, so I felt like I needed that to at last give some good reasons... turned out it ain't so.

I wonder if that double spring setup is what helped tame that recoil ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Once again the interchangeable backstraps included with the Gen 4 Glock modifications have shown the naysayers to be wrong. "Don't change what works!" Well, apparently the earlier Glock grips didn't work for many, taht being one of the primary Glock complaints. The Gen 4s fit me much better than any earlier Gens also.

OP, I think you'd have done well with either choice. Good shooting!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Taseal glad you got what you wanted. Side by side is the only way to go.

I never could shoot the Gen 3 Model 21, the grip was just to big for me. I have not gotten a chance to shoot the Gen 4's with the interchangeable backstaps though. I have the M&P .45 and could not be happier with it. Good shooting.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Taseal glad you got what you wanted. Side by side is the only way to go.

I never could shoot the Gen 3 Model 21, the grip was just to big for me. I have not gotten a chance to shoot the Gen 4's with the interchangeable backstaps though. I have the M&P .45 and could not be happier with it. Good shooting.
    yeah it's funny because the buddy I borrowed it from was telling me (I let him shoot my mk23 in return) how the mk23 had a huge grip, and he thought the G21 had a big grip lol. I showed him how perfect the mk23 fits my hand and that's probably why the wider than regular G21 grip fit my hand so well. I tried the large grip on the MP45 and it didn't really fix the problem, because all it does is give you more palm swell and more horizontal grip area. out front, it's still thin. the G21 is more blocky, but it's wider at all 4 sides. (like the H&K USP) I think taht's what made it work.

everything else was just about the same. even though the MP45 didn't fit me so well, I was able to shoot bit more better on slow fire, but on rapid fire, it was exactly the same (maybe glock had slightly less recoil) and considering this is a duty gun that won't be concealed, and the fact that the G21 held 3 more rounds (13 vs 10) it just made sense.

it's also interesting that the grip angle wasn't an issue. my hand/wrist/arm just naturally made the slide parralel. i'd pick the mp45 up, and i was on point when I would aim and shoot (close distance) then I'd pick up the g21 right away, and same thing again. perhaps after shooting so much, the mind knows how to point any gun.

the trigger did feel little 'rubbery' (hard to explain, but the take up has more resistance with a decent break) compared to the MP45 which is almost more like a SA (easy take up with brisk break) but I'm not going to be doing bench shooting with a pistol. with few hundred rounds either trigger will be fine.

I'd really like to do the same comparsion with a g17 and mp9 now and see what happens. I've shot both plenty (over thousands of rounds) but never at the same time.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Smart way to make a choice! You'll be very happy with the Glock but personally, I'd have fallen for the Dark Earth frame of the M&P! I wish Glock still offered it.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Very sensible way to make a decision.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You know, I thought 50 rounds (25 rounds each) would have been enough to make a decision.. I ended up shooting total of 100 rounds, and it still wasn't enough. I need like 500 rounds each to make a stout decision. but it's much better than going to a LGS and holding two pistols and then decide. at least I got little bit of trigger time...

I like the way you went about your decision. You made a great choice (IMO...but I'm biased!) However, I wouldn't mind owning a M&P45 to keep my Gen4 G21 company!
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Smart way to make a choice! You'll be very happy with the Glock but personally, I'd have fallen for the Dark Earth frame of the M&P! I wish Glock still offered it.
    got this FDE G17 about a month ago. Have not seen a G21 in this color.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

why do glocks have to be so damn ugly? lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links