Big newbie needs help

Big newbie needs help

This is a discussion on Big newbie needs help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey newbie here looking for advice on what to do. I am getting my C.C.L. next month and so I need to get a firearm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Big newbie needs help

Big newbie needs help

Hey newbie here looking for advice on what to do.

I am getting my C.C.L. next month and so I need to get a firearm so I can practice. Now that is the easy part, which gun to get? I have 4 guns that I am looking at

Glock 17 or Glock 19

XDM 3.8 or XDM 4.5

FN FNX or FNS

CZ P-07

All in 9mm. Now I know that they are all good but I just can't decide which one would be best for me. I have not ever seen the Cz in person, but have held the rest. They feel about the same, so it is no help. I am 6'4 310 with a 44 waist. So I would love to be able to OWB(I hear try are the most comfortable) I need something that can be concealed Iwb.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Unfortunately what weapon to carry is really a personal choice. However you will get many opinions on which one to buy. If there is a gun store in your area where you can rent a gun that might help you make your decision.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Exactly. See if you can find a range near you where you can rent several different firearms. Some of them look similar to each other but will feel different when shooting them. My opinion as that you can't go wrong with a G19, but that really is just my opinion. Good luck in your search.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    All great brand's and great guns, that said, IMO the Glock 19 is one of the best do-it-all gun's.
    multistage likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

While I don't have experience with the CZ P-07, I do have and carry a P-01. The alloy frame will add a little weight to the gun, but would highly recommend it. I'm sure the P-07 would be as reliable as the P-01 if you decide you definitely want a poly gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Get the Glock 19. End of search.

I agree you should go rent the guns you are considering if possible. I just got my permit a few months ago, and based on advice I read here and elsewhere, that's what I did. My last two choices were the G26 and the XDm9 3.8 compact, and after shooting both (& more) I went home with the XDm. Nothing wrong with the G26, but the XDm just spoke to me more. I've got about 500 rounds thru my XDm now and I'm very very happy with my descision. It's so much fun to shoot, and I just cannot believe the accuracy for such a small gun. Concealability is not an issue at all for me at 5'9" 200 lbs.
    Good luck to you!

Choosing a personal protection firearm is a very personal thing and you will receive endorsements and criticisms for nearly every firearm manufactured. Personally, I wouldn't buy any firearm unless I've had the chance to rent one and shoot it at a range. I've made the mistake of buying a pistol without testing it one time and it was a bad mistake. The pistol I bought without firing was actually a highly thought of CZ 75D Compact (same as the P01 model). It came in double action/single action and the trigger was just terrible. The double action was very heavy and the single action was very gritty. I've dryfired it and shot it over 800 times and have seen only very slight improvement in the trigger. Now others here will probably go on, and on about how great CZ pistols are. See......it's very personal. I agree that the Glock 19 would seem to be a good choice for a carry weapon, but you may buy it and find you hate the Glock trigger (many do). So go to a local range and rent a Glock 19 first.....that's one pistol that you will most certainly find in any well stocked gun store/shooting range and see how you like it. If they don't have the 19, then try any Glock in 9mm (26 or 17).....they all have the same trigger. Try a CZ also.....you may like it, you may not.
    bigdog44 likes this.

I'm 6 ft 220 lbs and I carry an XD9 (4 " service model). I have a couple of IWB holsters that were never that comfortable. I got an OWB and it is all I use now. Much more comfortable than either of the IWBs and conceals just as well with an untucked shirt. If you don't tuck in yoour shirts, an OWB will work great for a guy your size.

As for the gun - shoot them all and then decide.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    All great brand's and great guns, that said, IMO the Glock 19 is one of the best do-it-all gun's.
    I don't own or like Glocks but I think you cant go wrong with a 19!

Glock 19 by all means.

Since you're a newbie...and from the home state................(look me up and I'll be more than happy to let you test a 3rd gen G19)

Other than that..................................

I have owned mostly Springfields. I have also shot the Glock 19 quite a bit. Both are great guns. Depends on what you think if you were to rent. I do own the XDM compact 3.8 in 9mm. Frankly, it's my favorite plastic gun overall. Very accurate and I do like the grip safety for ccw use. Even though the best safety is your trigger finger, the added feature does give me a little peace of mind when carrying. I don't even notice it when shooting. Some don't like that feature at all but frankly I do.
    One other gun I have that you did not mention is the xd subcompact. It carries very well also for me and shoots like a tack driver. Anyway, the glock 19 or XDM would be my choice. I had a PCR and loved it but started having some issues. Sent it back to CZ but lost confidence in the gun. I have had 0 malfunctions with my XDM with almost 1000 rounds. Feeds everything. Hope this helps. My experience only.

eb
    The guns you've listed are all known to be good firearms. My best advice is to go look at them all and see how they feel to you. My Springfield XD's have been utterly reliable by the way. You might also look at the Smith M&Ps, they are great guns too. The one thing that I've always liked about the XD platform is the grip safety. When I holster one, I just hold the grip with a couple of fingers and stay away from the grip safety. This makes an "incident" while holstering due to clothing getting stuck in there, etc, pretty much impossible to accomplish. That said, I carry various guns with various systems on them just fine.

I've tried several IWB holsters (6'2", 200&too many). My favorite is a Minotaur MTAC. I have one for each of my 3 carry guns.

Another vote for the Glock 19. Then an Mtac holster. A good gunbelt. You'll be good to go for years.
    Question Everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links