Are there any Shield issues?

This is a discussion on Are there any Shield issues? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cj The two issues I've ever seen mentioned are magazines dropping in some of the .40 models during firing (although I believe ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Are there any Shield issues?

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    The two issues I've ever seen mentioned are magazines dropping in some of the .40 models during firing (although I believe they have a fix for it, so I'd expect any new ones coming out to have it), and the 'out of battery' mentioned by macg19...basically in some models, if the slide is pressed back slightly with a loaded magazine and/or round in the chamber...can't recall which variations...the spring may not have enough oomph to overcome the torque and it stays back a bit. Interestingly, pulling the trigger makes the slide go forward and sets the pistol up for a shot fairly quickly.
    thanks cj, it is both loaded magazine and a round in the chamber

hard to test at home so will get to the range and report back
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

2. Remove Ads

My personal experience with the .40 Shield... First range trip, the 7 round magazine fell out every time the gun was fired... Sent back to S&W... Got it back last week with a new 7 round magazine... Back to the range this past weekend. The gun performed beautifully through 150 rounds with no more magazine problems. Only problem was the paint dot fell out of one side of the rear site. ARGHHH! Not a biggie but frustrating just the same. Still though, I found the gun to be accurate within my abilities and easy/comfortable to shoot. Will definately keep the gun just wish QC was a bit better.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

The right rear sight on mine lost its white dot. Looking on the S&W forum, this appears to be a fairly common problem, but is easily fixrd with a dab of white paint.

Other than that the only problem is that my wife wants mine.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

My SHIELD9 hasn't has a single issue. At this point nearing 1500 flawless round of various ammo, including reloads. S&W answered everything I wanted in this small package and I can't complain one bit. Finding the magazines for decent price is a different story. Only thing left on my wish list is a 12~15 round extended magazine I can carry in my pocket.

the only problem i have seen is I CANT FIND ONE!!!
    mook012 likes this.

The only problem with the Shield? It doesn't come in .45

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    This is the only super serious problem I have had so far...

Another super serious Shield problem! Must read!

Really scares me too. I'm not sure what to do about it....
    Wow, I'm sure glad you shared that link. I'll have to check my pistols for this problem next trip to the range. For now I've tried dry firing one of them using the parameters described, and I'm afraid they might have the same problem as the Shield. Bummer. :(
    accessbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffe View Post
    Wow, I'm sure glad you shared that link. I'll have to check my pistols for this problem next trip to the range. For now I've tried dry firing one of them using the parameters described, and I'm afraid they might have the same problem as the Shield. Bummer. :(
    Yes, it is a tragic epidemic. We must stop this problem... Think of the children

Personally love my 9 Shield. Could not imagine getting rid of it. In fact, I have another on order.

buut, after reading a few of the "solutions" posted by the Wags over there, I called Smith & Wesson on the phone.

A fine customer service representative named "Peter" had a new rear sight on the way to me before the call ended.

Kudos for S&W.

Again on the S&W forum, there is discussion about "Slide out of battery" condition. Simply put, if you ooch the slide back about 1/4" and gently let up the slide may not come back to battery. The issue here might be the mags, IDK. You won't feel a trace of it without a mag in the chute. With a loaded mag in place you can feel definite resistance. With a round in the chamber the resistance is even greater. The rather annoying buzz is that the slide may get ooched back somehow without your knowledge and fail to return to breech.

This has nothing to do with normal operation. It has to do with pulling a closed slide back just far enough to cock, and then letting go very, very slowly.

My first hand experience is that mine exhibits this to some degree more or less. I could reproduce it when new. I can't make it happen anymore. The return to breech is a little feckless maybe, but it returns every time.

There may be some replacement mags in the offing from S&W. It is nothing to me but I wouldn't mind an improvement.

Other than being unable to find a second one (Hubby shot mine today while we were at the range and wants one now--copy cat!)?
    "The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994**

HKR
    Over 2K rounds through my Shield 9 so far. No issues, I'm just waiting for more night sight options to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    Over 2K rounds through my Shield 9 so far. No issues, I'm just waiting for more night sight options to come out.
    Cool. I have 1900 rounds thru my two (total).

HKR
    The first two range trips out with it I really put it through the ringer. It handled so nicely, concealed so well and shot so softly I figured there had to be an issue somewhere. If there is I still haven't found it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links