Are there any Shield issues?

This is a discussion on Are there any Shield issues? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my 9mm shield and shot it today. I'm a Glock lover, but I've got to give credit to S&W for this one. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Are there any Shield issues?

I just got my 9mm shield and shot it today. I'm a Glock lover, but I've got to give credit to S&W for this one. No problems in my first 150 rounds, shooting WWB and Speer 124 grain.

Likes: big gun performance/features in a small package. Recoil was pretty much non-existent, and the gun was a joy to shoot. Maybe that's just because I'm used to shooting 40 S&W. When I handled the gun (empty), it felt somewhat top-heavy, and I was worried that it wouldn't feel that great while shooting it. I was wrong! Also, there's a lot of negative reviews about this thing having a safety. As for me, I like the safety, and I found it quite easy to disengage with a slight flick of the thumb. It seems harder to engage than to disengage.
    Dislikes: Loading the magazines was slightly harder than my Glocks - I think it's a combination of a fairly heavy spring, and the fact that the metal magazine walls are fairly thin.
    Misc observations: 6.5 pound trigger is a bit heavier than my Glock 22/23. Also, I noticed that the extender on the 8 round magazine is free to slide up the magazine. I didn't have any problems, and it's easy to push the extender back down to the base of the magazine. But it made me think - what if that happened "real world" and I tried to quickly load it in the gun -- would it prevent me from loading it? Probably not, but it's something to consider.

2. Remove Ads

In my honest opinion.......
    Are there any Shield issues?
    Yes.......made by S&W

New Member Array sparksstingers's Avatar

Shield Lock on empty issue

Just got back from my first range session with the Shield 9mm. The only issue I had was the slide not locking back on empty. After some more investigation it seems that if I so much as breath on the slide release the slide will not lock. If I rack the slide with an empty magazine it locks evey time. If I put just a feather on the release tab it will not lock back. I hope there is an adjustment for this. Seem's WAY to sensitive. With the gun being such a small footprint I'm having to adjust my grip to ensure I don't make any sort of contact with the lever during re-coil. Which is not bad by any means. The gun is a joy to shoot.

I have emailed S&W to enquire as to the sensitivity of the slide release tab. Hopefully it can be adjusted?

Other than that 100 rounds in & out for the gun w/o any issues. Federal FMJ 115g target ammo ran just fine.

i got my shield this weekend as well, and I love it too. No problems The 7 round magazine is great for carrying, but the 8 round is extremely comfortable. I had no problems. I did notice that the spring is really tight out of the box and pulling back the slide takes a bit more effort than I expected.

@MilitaryArms: I had seen your video and I have the same annoying issue with the 8 round mag spacer flying all over the place. Have you ever found a good solution besides permanently attaching it?

For everyone looking for this gun, put your order in. You won't be disappointed, and if by chance you are, you'll have no problem getting your money back. It's what I did: bought sight unseen (took two months) but I'm extremely happy.

Issue? The only one I can think of are all of the fine upstanding individuals trying to buy every one from every store they can and then flipping them online for $100-200 profit. I'm trying to get my wife a carry weapon and she loves the M&P trigger. We're stationed at NAS Pensacola but she's being moved to Seymour-Johnson AFB soon and I want her to have something before she leaves. Not sure if I will be able to find her one before its time for her to PCS. I won't pay some (insert any colorful name here) 30-40% markup just because S&W can't make enough. The gun is built for self defense, don't buy them with the sole purpose of exploiting the fact that they're hard to find.

The only real serious issues I've found so far with the Shield is that it is taking too long for
    the POPP to drop below the MSRP

The funny thing is that S&W made a promotional video to release that emphasized that they were going to create the supply before they created the demand. That they knew how important that was and so they were not going to even release or discuss this gun until they had enough supply to put one into the hands of every customer that wanted one. Ironically I just saw a replay of that video on one of the Gun shows on TV just this past week. Of course they obviously failed at this. The real funny part is they had seen the issues with other manufacturers and seen the level of demand that they were facing BEFORE they made this bold claim. And yet they still were not ready for it.

The good thing about it is, in that same video they made the claim that they were going to concentrate on the trigger. The feel and pull of that part of the gun was a special interest of theirs. And I can say that, having held one and dry fired one, they appear to have achieved that part of the mission. Problem is I have found one in .40 to try but I am not in the market for that caliber... and so I am still waiting on a 9mm.

One of the LGS in my area said not to expect anything until December! Another got one in when they were first released and since then, Nothing!!!
    Tony

OK I admit that I went to that site expecting to see a serious problem...
    Shipwreck, you must be on every gun forum that exist. I remember you on the FNP forums several years ago.
    Seriously, after all the handguns you have owned, what is your favorite everyday carry?
    I still have a DW CBOB, a CZ PCR 9mm, and a Kahr PM9. And carry the Kahr 80% of the time.
    Keech
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

Quote Originally Posted by Keech View Post
    Shipwreck, you must be on every gun forum that exist. I remember you on the FNP forums several years ago.
    Seriously, after all the handguns you have owned, what is your favorite everyday carry?
    I still have a DW CBOB, a CZ PCR 9mm, and a Kahr PM9. And carry the Kahr 80% of the time.
    Keech
    It's a non issue for me. Several of my striker fired pistols do the same thing? And none of them are S&W's!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Keech View Post
    Keech
    Yes, I am on every gun forum, I think... I pop up all over the place

And, over the years, I've probably owned just about everything at one time or another.

My fav gun/platform right now is the Beretta 92. I have nine of them (different variations). I had been carrying a fullsize Beretta 92 for nearly 3 years (even in the summer) until I had a groin injury. No longer could tighten a belt enough to hold up that weight.

I was searching for a small gun for pocket carry, as I never really liked the Kahr Pm9 I owned. I found the Shield after I rented one, and had to own one. Got one 2 days later, and sold my PM9 that very week. Took me 2.5 months until I found Shield #2. At the moment, the 9mm Shield is my fav small carry gun. And, despite the small size, it's the most accurate subcompact I have ever owned.

I have never really liked small guns, as I tend to shoot larger ones better (that's why I liked carrying my Beretta 92 so much). Now, though, while I am better and could probably start carrying one of my 92s again soon... This little SHield is MUCH more convenient with pocket carry

I bought a Shield myself today but there's a 3 day wait in Florida so I have to wait until Thursday to pick it up. I can't wait!

Sounds like I need to buy the few my LGS has and flip them online.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Fnfalguy View Post
    I bought a Shield myself today but there's a 3 day wait in Florida so I have to wait until Thursday to pick it up. I can't wait!
    So where in Central Florida did you find one?
    Tony

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    The only real serious issues I've found so far with the Shield is that it is taking too long for
    the POPP to drop below the MSRP
    $449 is the suggested retail/list price for a 9mm or .40cal M&P Shield. I've been trying to find a Shield for well over a month. I went to the Shoot Straight M&P day and showed up right when they opened. I said my hello's to a few store people, tried out the Shield and walked over to the table to buy a 9mm and they were all gone....25 of them with in minutes.

I read on various forums where people "claim" to be buying 9mm Shields for $399 brand new but I don't believe that at all. I've been in probably 50 LGS's during my business travels in the last 2 months and never found a deal and hardly have seen any Shields for sale.

I've been able to rent Shields at various ranges and done some comparisons with a 9mm Shield vs a 9mm Walther PPS. I like both guns feel and can't decide between those 2.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links