Are there any Shield issues?

This is a discussion on Are there any Shield issues? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking that the Shield has been out long enough that if there were any major issues with it, they would have surfaced by ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Are there any Shield issues?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I am thinking that the Shield has been out long enough that if there were any major issues with it, they would have surfaced by now. Has anyone heard of any?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Depends who you ask, I never had a problem with mine when I had one - fine gun, shot very well and carried great.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Mine gets really heavy to carry if I hold it for too long. Need more arm strength, I guess. Plus, it's so large that it obstructs my view at times when I hold up rightly.

Oh, you mean the gun. Haven't heard of any...
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    At first I was like and then I was like

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Mine gets really heavy to carry if I hold it for too long. Need more arm strength, I guess. Plus, it's so large that it obstructs my view at times when I hold up rightly.

Oh, you mean the gun. Haven't heard of any...

This is the only super serious problem I have had so far...

Another super serious Shield problem! Must read!

Really scares me too. I'm not sure what to do about it....

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    The incident reports seem to be fairly infrequent. Any man made product can and will have a certain percentage of problems. With that being said, I've not seen any issues being widely reported with the handguns.

I've been shooting my 9mm Shield for a few months now and it digests everything I put in it. Ball rounds, hollowpoint defensive rounds, steel cased ammo, reloads... it has yet to have a single failure to feed or eject. That's pretty good for such a tiny pistol. Extreme reliability isn't typically a feature found on many of the mini-9's out there. My Shield has done amazingly well in my testing and I carry it regularly (it's on my side right now).
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

You mean other that not being able to find a gun store that has one in stock so that I can see if it'll fit comfortably in my somewhat large and oddly shaped paw?

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    You mean other that not being able to find a gun store that has one in stock so that I can see if it'll fit comfortably in my somewhat large and oddly shaped paw?
    This x 1000. I just want to hold one to see if I like the feel of it. Can't find one anywhere. The stores close by keep stating that the few they get are all gone within an hour or two.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

What Military Arms said. I've had great success with mine. Eats em and spits em. Great shooter!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    This x 1000. I just want to hold one to see if I like the feel of it. Can't find one anywhere. The stores close by keep stating that the few they get are all gone within an hour or two.
    Me too, I have'nt even been able to see one yet!
    Tony

I have an issue with it being more accurate than my Glock. Hopefully the Glock needs to be sighted.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I too have been impressed with the accuracy and shootability of my 9mm Shield. It shoots as well for me as a full sized handgun. I was luke warm about the Shield when I saw it at the NRA show (the day it was announced to the public). When I got home I had one waiting for me at my gun shop. After a few range sessions I realized I had underestimated the little Shield... I had no idea just how fond of it I was to become.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

The main problem I keep reading about is just being able to find one.
    sensei2, mook012 and Sky Pilot like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

how about the battery issue - if you force the slide it out of battery it does stick consistently - anyone else?

To be clear this has never happened while shooting/drawing.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

cj
    The two issues I've ever seen mentioned are magazines dropping in some of the .40 models during firing (although I believe they have a fix for it, so I'd expect any new ones coming out to have it), and the 'out of battery' mentioned by macg19...basically in some models, if the slide is pressed back slightly with a loaded magazine and/or round in the chamber...can't recall which variations...the spring may not have enough oomph to overcome the torque and it stays back a bit. Interestingly, pulling the trigger makes the slide go forward and sets the pistol up for a shot fairly quickly.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links