Just traded for my first Sig!

This is a discussion on Just traded for my first Sig! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...specifically, the one I've wanted the most for the longest, the Sig P238. I don't have pictures yet as I can't pick it up until ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Just traded for my first Sig!

...specifically, the one I've wanted the most for the longest, the Sig P238.

I don't have pictures yet as I can't pick it up until tomorrow, but most of you know what a P238 looks like anyway. Mine is a new in box blued version with black grips and SigLite tritium night sights. This also is the first gun I've ever had with night sights so it will be interesting to see how I like those.

I traded my Taurus TCP 738 for it. I have nothing against the Taurus, in fact it's been infallible and I highly recommend it. BUT, because of my work clothes and workplace I am unable to carry anything other than a pocket pistol...meaning that for 40 hours out of the week (in other words, about 95% of my out of home carry time) I am carrying said pocket pistol. In that circumstance where it will be the gun I trust and depend on the most I really think it's in my best interests to demand nothing less than the best (in my mind) in that category, and that, to me, is the P238. I've always had a lot of admiration for them. Plus, I feel that it will be more accurate, more durable, more comfortable to shoot, and more substantial feeling in that all day, every day sort of carry environment.

So I'm pretty excited, but at the moment I'm suffering from separation anxiety, not getting to know my new P238 for another 20 hours. In the meantime, my woes would be eased to hear your experiences with the P238, good or bad, how much you like it, how often you carry it, and what you think of the particular combination I ended up with (night sights on the P238 specifically). I always enjoy reading fellow owners opinions when I buy a new gun.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I have a P238 diamond plate. Great gun. Shoots true out of the box. Rear sights let you rack the slide on your pocket or belt. My favorite subcompact carry.

Looks to me like you got the better end of that deal. I have yet to shoot one, but the feel of the P238 in my hand is darn near perfect.

sgb
    Not a .380 fan but I'd take a Sig over a Taurus any day
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Congratulations! I think you made a good deal. I have the Sig P238 Equinox,and it's a great gun. The night sights are fun as well.

Distinguished Member
    Congrats on getting an outstanding pistol. We've got three P238's here... his, hers and a spare.. all Equinox versions with the TFO front sights.
    With thousands of rounds down range, we've yet to have any malfunctions and accuracy is very good. We did shoot FMJ for the first few hundred rounds through each gun just to wake 'em up, but shot a variety of SD loads as well to see how they ran (and they all ran well).

We'll be looking forward to those pictures tomorrow :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Thanks for the input guys! And you can bet there will be pictures tomorrow.

I had no idea just how many versions of the P238 there were until I went on the Sig website to see what you guys meant by Equinox, Diamond Plate, etc. They really have something for just about every taste. Mine appears to be the black Nitron version. Should be a good finish for pockets that have the potential to become sweaty.

I have to say though that my nominations for best looking version goes to either the Equinox or the SAS. I might have to pick up a set of wood grips for mine sometime. A second mag is first on the list though.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

You wont be disappointed. Best modern .380 on the market. Mine came with Blackwood grips and TFO sights. Shoots as sweet as a full size handgun.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    congrats you just stepped up your game !

Having a pretty good sized collection of handguns to choose from, my 238 is my baby, and has gone everwhere with me everyday for past 2+ years. Except for some range time, haven't carried anything else. I had a set of custom grips made by Sarge, ans a custom holster by Dave at DM Bullard, and it is most comfortable carry I have experienced since I started ccw in 1983. And......shoots as good as it looks.

I bet it won't be your last Sig.
    sensei2 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I have the same gun. Shoots good, carries well, and it's a SIG. You just can't beat 'em.

SKW
    I have the two-tone version and have yet to experience a missfire that wasn't user error. After a lot of shooting at the range one night, I became sloppy in my grip as I raised to shoot...bumped the mag release as I pulled the trigger causing a jam. That is the only missfire I have experienced after many hundreds of rounds. Just be aware that is possible if you are sloppy with your grip or have larger hands. My husband and I both love my gun and night sights. In fact he is planning to pick up the 938 next year for his own summer carry. Congratulations on a great new gun!

Congrats on the new Sig. Love both my P238s, great shooters and easy to conceal and carry. You should be very pleased indeed. IMO, the P238 handles the recoil better than any other .380 out there, and I say that from experience; I have owned most of the popular ones. What I like most about the P238 is it is rated for the hot +P rounds ie. BuffaloBore, Corbon and so on. These rounds give the .380 ACP some real ump and propel the .380 round to respectable velocities for defense. Couple of those bad boys COM and it's over for the BG if you ask me. That's another good thing about the Sig, it's very accurate, so putting those two rounds COM comes pretty easy. Anyway, congrats again on a excellent choice and enjoy a fine representation of a miniature 1911 pistol that you can carry all the time.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Hi all! Here she is.

Everything is as should be expected from a Sig, and it does not disappoint. Even though this is what could best be described as the all business version of the P238, it exudes quality all around. Even the polymer grips have a quality texture feel and definitely don't feel like plastic. I might still replace them with wood but it won't be because the factory polymer makes the gun feel cheap.

I only have one complaint about the P238. When the hammer is pulled back, there is a gap near the base of the hammer that extends to the bottom of the firing pin cover plate. It's an open invitation for lint to find it's way in, but given the sheer volume of these guns and the frequency that they are pocket carried without mention of a problem, it must not be a significant issue. I'll just have to be sure to check and clean it regularly, but I was already in the habit of doing that with the TCP as it also had an opening at the rear of the slide that allowed lint to enter. It also did not have a problem in that regard.

As expected, the trigger pull is a bit heavy for SA but it breaks cleanly. The night sights have a nice glow to them and are overall the best factory sights I've seen on a pocket pistol. It handles well, balances well, and has a nice substantial feel to it. I like it's 1911 style of operation. Can't wait to try it out at the range. I think accuracy will be a lot better with the P238 than the TCP I was using. Overall I feel I went the best route for the gun I'll be carrying 95% of the time. Demand nothing less than the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links