The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

This is a discussion on The Truth: Hi Point Firearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen one, and it shot, so I'd say it was better than nothing....

View Poll Results: Are Hi Point weapons acceptable for self defense

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are fine as is

18 15.38%
  • No they are not acceptable

66 56.41%
  • yes but could use definite improvements

28 23.93%
  • No but with a few adjustments are a fit weapon

5 4.27%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

I have seen one, and it shot, so I'd say it was better than nothing.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The poll needed to be split into, rifles and handguns.
    Would most likely have voted yes for rifle.
    voted no, in the poll.
    atctimmy likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    The poll needed to be split into, rifles and handguns.
    Would most likely have voted yes for rifle.
    voted no, in the poll.
    Truth.

I would never own one of the handguns.

The carbines are neat, and fun. The stocks they come with are awful though.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I'd buy a used gun before I'd buy a new Hi Point. I do not consider a gun with so much pot metal acceptable for defending my life.
    oneshot likes this.

Administrator
    Folks seem to be happy with their carbine purchases. I know nothing about those and what they may or may not be constructed of so you'll notice that I have no opinion on the carbines. Because...I cannot have an educated opinion on one because I've never even seen one except in pictures.
    My gun shop does not stock anything Hi-Point.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Unless it was the ONLY WEAPON I could afford ,,,, it would not be my choice
    for MY DEFENSE.
    A few elitists shouldn't rule the many.
    Better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at HOME.
    When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Sponsor
    American made.
    Lifetime warranty.
    Reliable.
    Ugly.
    Big.
    Heavy.
    Cheap.

I had a .40sw pistol. it had a horrible trigger but went bang every time. The gun cost less that a good S&W revolver trigger job. I sold it and bought an M&P40c. I got most of my money back on the High Point.

They're better than a rock or a sharp stick. I'd never carry one but as a bed side gun or a range toy, sure.

You make up your mind.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

IMO, the handguns are crap!
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Folks seem to be happy with their carbine purchases. I know nothing about those and what they may or may not be constructed of so you'll notice that I have no opinion on the carbines. Because...I cannot have an educated opinion on one because I've never even seen one except in pictures.
    My gun shop does not stock anything Hi-Point.
    Well, the carbines are also constructed of pot metal. At least the outer shell of the carbine is. The barrel and other important parts are constructed of steel.

How this mixture holds up long-term remains to be seen.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

VIP Member
    As the owner of two C9's, I've earned the right to say the handguns are UNACCEPTABLE.
    atctimmy likes this.

Are you kidding? They are ghetto garbage, period. I used to work at a range, every saturday afteroon during a gunshow suckers who bought his junk would bring in ther new "prize" to try it out. They'd be out there for a bit then come dragging arse out asking "what's wrong with my new gun"? Pieces of potmetal were flying off of the slide and frame, I personally saw this on many occasions. Don' waste your time or money on trash, if your hind end means anything to you, but a quality firearm.

VIP Member
    Given their price point, I don't even think that asking for alterations, tweaks or refinements is all that realistic, since probably about anything you put on a wish list would increase the price and then it really would be competing with "better" firearms.

My carbine has mechanically performed without any functional problems at all. If my life depended on it, I wouldn't fear it not working.

I base my opinion on the High Point that i own... its a 45 ACP in OD Green. It has functioned flawlessly, love the contrasting adjustable sights, and it goes bang every time. I do not carry it do to its heavy weight, which is due to its overly large slide (needed for the blowback operation). I carry J frame Smiths, but leave the High point bedside, and do trust not only the gun, but how i shoot it also. I personnaly commend High Point for producing an inexpensive self defensive weapon platform that anyone can truly afford . Not every can spend a grand on a new H&K, or even $400 on a Ruger... but for roughly $150, you get a tool that CAN save your life. If YOU trust something that costs more, than do what you please, it does not matter to me... just please dont bash my opinion that i do trust it with my life. If i did not trust it, is would not be in my arsenal. Bunker
    Attached Images
    Ogre, revldm, jbum and 1 others like this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

As I said , I haven't owned one of the pistols & know nothing about their reliability. However the slide on the pistols is not technically "potmetal" it's zamak 3. Zamak 3 is a zinc alloy but only where stress is low is zamac 3 used. All high stress areas are made of steel. The carbines have no zamak 3 & the upper is again, not pot metal it's sheet metal & their is no stress where the sheet metal is at.

I would like to ask once again though if you have not personally used one please do not poll or reply to the thread.

I have however handled the pistols (.45). It was clunky & ugly. This should not be construed to mean it is not a reliable weapon because I do not know.

Be that as it may, it doesn't take a metallurgist to know, after handling one of these carbines or pistols, that the metal used is not what could be called the best of quality. I say this after using my carbine for several years and loving what it is capable of. It's obvious that the materials used are the best they can get away with on the lowest of cost. Fortunately for the carbines, a significant amount of this cost savings can be attributed to the flimsy plastic stock rather than the actual mechanical guts of the weapon.

I will refrain from further posts on this subject but I would not recommend a Hi-Point for carry or self defense purposes on the pistol platform. Check out the CZ-82 instead.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links