The Truth: Hi Point Firearms - Page 3

The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

This is a discussion on The Truth: Hi Point Firearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not own a HiPoint, I do have friends that do. The guns go bang everytime, with any and every type of ammo. The ...

View Poll Results: Are Hi Point weapons acceptable for self defense

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are fine as is

18 15.38%
  • No they are not acceptable

66 56.41%
  • yes but could use definite improvements

28 23.93%
  • No but with a few adjustments are a fit weapon

5 4.27%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

I do not own a HiPoint, I do have friends that do. The guns go bang everytime, with any and every type of ammo. The same cannot be said of other, more expesive pistols. They are as accurate as any other handgun I have fired.

I know not about metallurgy, but as far as holding up, I have seen a (gasp)youtube video or two about them, one series was about a gunshop TRYING to destroy one of the 9mm's. Took clamping a bolt in the barrel, filling the chamber and barrel with explosives, loading a hot load blank and firing from a distance. All that after plugging the barrel several times and firing it, running over it, beating it with a hammer, slamming it against a tree, and dunking it in muddy water. I don't know many guns that could take even 1/2 the abuse that gun took and still fire.

They are a bit on the heavy side and low on capacity. The first is not an issue for me, but the second is a bit of an issue. As a defensive weapon I would have no problems with a HiPoint, heck, if it does run out of ammo at near 3lbs it would make a great club!!!

I currently have a Hi-Point C9 (9mm Handgun), and the old-model 995 carbine.

Once uopn a time, I bought a C9 from Bud's for $140 just to see if it was any good. It ran like a champ, so I called up Bud's and ordered a little 995 "Planet of the Apes" carbine to go with it. The carbine has been absolutely flawless. Later, I added a 995TC "new style" carbine to the mix, and it was flawless as well.

A buddy talked me into selling him the C9 and the 995TC (the C9 was his first handgun and he loves it).

I was reading Hi-Point threads on a forum and missed my C9, so I picked up another one at the LGS. It had a few problems, so I sent it back to the company to get fixed. The problems were that it: shot low, jammed a lot, and had an unbelievably harsh recoil. Hi-Point lived up to their reputation of excellent customer service and fixed all problems within 2 weeks. The note from the company said that they rebuilt the slide with new internals, and replaced a faulty recoil spring, which was causing the harsh recoil. My C9 now runs just fine and is shockingly accurate. It's not a carry piece. It is just another one of my guns, and I'm keeping it.

I don't know what it is with me and inexpensive firearms. I guess I just buy them to see if they work out. I also have an entry-level Rock Island 1911 (required a trip back to company to fix out-of-spec mag catch), and a Charter Arms .357 Mag Pug (initially kind of a turd, but has been growing on me lately since working out a few bugs).

I will add that for defensive use & concealed carry on a budget, I would highly recommend a CZ-82 (currently $219) over the Hi-point C9 (currently $140-180). It's probably the BEST deal out there for an inexpensive pistol. Twelve-round capacity, chrome-lined, polygonal rifled barrel, and true ambidextrous controls. That and CZ quality. Get one while the gettin's good.
    oakchas likes this.

Senior Moderator
    As someone who has worked in the gun industry in a position that allowed me constant access to many of these firearms I voted unacceptable.

And comparing the carbines to the handguns is a little unbalanced. I've seen the carbines just run and run and run.. I have no beef with the carbines.

The handguns, on the other hand, have been another monster altogether.

I've only seen one that seemed to be decently reliable and accurate. I have seen many more that jammed again and again and again even after being sent back for repair.

I've seen cracked slides and frames after only a few rounds. I've seen broken and lost sights, bad magazines, failure after failure. If they are getting better with the QC then great for them but I still won't trust them. On top of all that they are bulky, big and have no advantage over a firearm half their size and twice as reliable except perhaps price.

Administrator
    I don't want to sidetrack this thread so I'll end with this.
    I would love to know who is making the business decisions at Hi-Point.
    My point being that for 50 bucks more they could equip their handgun with an investment steel slide which would be less massive...far less ungainly and top-heavy and the gun could sell for $200.00 instead of $150.00 - at $200.00 - it would still be extremely affordable and they could sell at least twice as many and you could actually holster the doggone thing and carry it.

As an American gun maker I would love to see them "up" the quality a bit and get into the game rather than being the homely, weird oddly dressed kid down the block that nobody wants to talk to.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    QKShooter,
    Take this for what it is, second hand info.

A work acquaintance of mine lives near the HP mfg facility. He visited and talked to the owner(s). He asked why they went with the cast slides and was told that they decide to utilize the local foundry facilities that were in need of work at the time and that was what they were capable of producing.

Again, second/third hand info but I consider my source to be reliable in that he has no reason to lie to me about what he was told and has never been less than honest about anything work related.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I remember purchasing one of the older, plain Jane style 9mm carbines at a local show, brand new and in the packaging for $150 as my first rifle. My only gripe is the capacity. But I slapped on a $30 amazon red/ green dot scope and have easily put 1000 rounds of the dirtiest and grimiest ammunition out there and I haven't had a single trigger pull not result in a bang. Oh, and the sight still hits right on at 100yds.

I vote 100% acceptable.

Bryan

Thought I would post the video's of the torture tests on youtube.

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate test RELOADED - YouTube

These videos are absolutely amazing & may change your mind about how strong the zamak 3 is

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never fired nor held a Hi Point, probably because I've never found a gun store than carries them. That, in itself, tells me something.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    As someone who has worked in the gun industry in a position that allowed me constant access to many of these firearms I voted unacceptable.

And comparing the carbines to the handguns is a little unbalanced. I've seen the carbines just run and run and run.. I have no beef with the carbines.

The handguns, on the other hand, have been another monster altogether.

I've only seen one that seemed to be decently reliable and accurate. I have seen many more that jammed again and again and again even after being sent back for repair.

I've seen cracked slides and frames after only a few rounds. I've seen broken and lost sights, bad magazines, failure after failure. If they are getting better with the QC then great for them but I still won't trust them. On top of all that they are bulky, big and have no advantage over a firearm half their size and twice as reliable except perhaps price.
    we have all seen your "failures" in every manufacturer out there, High Point is no exception, but def not the rule. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My point being that for 50 bucks more they could equip their handgun with an investment steel slide which would be less massive...far less ungainly and top-heavy and the gun could sell for $200.00 instead of $150.00 - at $200.00 - it would still be extremely affordable and they could sell at least twice as many and you could actually holster the doggone thing and carry it.

As an American gun maker I would love to see them "up" the quality a bit and get into the game rather than being the homely, weird oddly dressed kid down the block that nobody wants to talk to.
    It really can be done. I've fluffed and buffed one (C9), including required modifications to the magazine lips to get it in working condition. It is accurate, and honestly fun to shoot, but I just can't trust it with the materials it is made out of, the cheap paint on the barrel that quickly peals off and clogs the action, and other details that can be easily corrected.

However, they are very close to having a usable budget handgun. I do wish they'd go the extra mile and charge just a little more for the incremental difference.

I've seen only a few and I'm basing my vote on those I have seen...Now I've never been to a dealer that I've noticed a Hi-Point at...but every pawn shop I've ever walked into has SOOOO many of them. I looked at a few, all 9mm and I just didn't like the feel or the look. Some of them seemed to be very poorly made....I'd rather carry a single shot .22 short than use a Hi-Point. Just my opinion though. I'm sure somebody got a good one somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

But... But... Then it would be a glock...

Range and fun? Yes. Carry? Uh-uh.

I have a C-9 sitting in the safe. It is broken down and packed in the box, waiting for a trip to Beemiller.
    It has been in that same box for a few years now, waiting to be sent.

Used to be my wife's gun. She upgraded to an H&K P2000 V3.

We put close to a thousand rounds through that gun before we had any issues. Great range plinker. Full mag offsets the top-heavy aspect a bit.
    The last time we had it out, it was running like a champ, then all of a sudden the slide hung a bit on return to battery. The top of the barrel hood had two 1/2" long scratches/gouges in it, running lengthwise.

Broke it down and found bits of white metal in between slide and barrel. Looked and looked and couldn't find where any had come off in the slide or action.

While cleaning, I found the bits had come from the sides of the slot under the firing pin channel. It is peeling off in 2-3 thin layers. Never seen anything like it.

My 4095 Planet of the Apes Carbine has been flawless. My only two gripes about it are the limited capacity and the cheek slap.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

A gun is a gun, they sling lead and poke holes in things.

That being said...if all you can afford is a Hi-Point, go for it. They are reliable once broken in, get some Powerballs or Glasers from Corbon...they'll feed like ball ammo.
    Just don't drop the gun on the garage floor...it'll break.

Administrator
    Actually Zinc Die-cast metal is quite strong and malleable when it is new. It gets increasingly brittle with age. So possibly the best thing to do (since the Hi-Points have an unconditional guarantee) would be to shoot it for 5 years then smack the slide with a hammer and crack it then send the gun in for a new slide.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links