The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

This is a discussion on The Truth: Hi Point Firearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RemMod597 My 4095 Planet of the Apes Carbine has been flawless. My only two gripes about it are the limited capacity and ...

View Poll Results: Are Hi Point weapons acceptable for self defense

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are fine as is

18 15.38%
  • No they are not acceptable

66 56.41%
  • yes but could use definite improvements

28 23.93%
  • No but with a few adjustments are a fit weapon

5 4.27%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post

My 4095 Planet of the Apes Carbine has been flawless. My only two gripes about it are the limited capacity and the cheek slap.
    The little mag pouch that fits over the butt of the gun (only for use on the Planet of the Apes carbines, not the TC) fixes the cheek slap issue. Helps with the capacity thing, too!

HP_G19.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    There is a vid on you tube of a guy with a Scottish accent throwing one of the pistols [ unloaded] in a fire extolling the virtues of the gun. If I remember right he throws it at some targets as well

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    There is a vid on you tube of a guy with a Scottish accent throwing one of the pistols [ unloaded] in a fire extolling the virtues of the gun. If I remember right he throws it at some targets as well
    Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate test - YouTube

I'd trust my life to a Hi Point before I'd trust it to a Kel Tec.

But I'd still rather carry something better like my LCR and keep my carbine as a fun range toy.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'd rather carry a picture of a Colt, than a real Hi-Point.

Quote Originally Posted by mardet View Post
    Booooo!
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by mardet View Post
    i get what you're saying but I certainly wouldn't go that far. super funny though.
    oneshot likes this.

Well...for $600 I can get ONE Glock/Kimber/Sig....or I can get 4(FOUR) HiPoint .45's, that is one for the house, one for each car, and one in my shop, no worries about carrying the heavy thing but still handy. As stated, lifetime warranty, good customer service, AMERICAN made. They are heavy for a reason, however I would like a higher capacity...my buddie's is as accruate as I am (his is a .40), reliable, and good fun to shoot.

Alot of people equate inexpensive with cheap/crap, these are the same people that (IMHO) would rather buy Levi's than Austin's; harley's than metrics and the like-they pay for a name. Aim, pull trigger, BOOM, target gets .45 hole...simple, why pay $$$$$ for what $$ will do?
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    ...AMERICAN made....
    I've been hearing that a lot lately and while I do try to by local when the situation allows, "American Made" no longer carries an implied guarantee of high quality or customer service. I wouldn't accept an American made television as a gift and the US automobile quality is still in the dumper for example. the US made stamp certainly doesn't mean the product is automatically crap either. All it means anymore to me is that my dollars stay local. That's important but I'll not buy a turd based on that no matter how much $$ I might save. It's still needs to be a good gun. In my experience, the Hi Point falls very short.

CJM
    I would love to have a 995TS Carbine, but you couldn't give me one of their pistols. Well you could, but I wouldn't keep it any longer than it would take to drive to the LGS and sell it and buy some ammo with the profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Well...for $600 I can get ONE Glock/Kimber/Sig....or I can get 4(FOUR) HiPoint .45's, that is one for the house, one for each car, and one in my shop, no worries about carrying the heavy thing but still handy. As stated, lifetime warranty, good customer service, AMERICAN made. They are heavy for a reason, however I would like a higher capacity...my buddie's is as accruate as I am (his is a .40), reliable, and good fun to shoot.

Alot of people equate inexpensive with cheap/crap, these are the same people that (IMHO) would rather buy Levi's than Austin's; harley's than metrics and the like-they pay for a name. Aim, pull trigger, BOOM, target gets .45 hole...simple, why pay $$$$$ for what $$ will do?
    I could buy 4 harbor-freight "lifetime warranty" ratchets for the price of my 1 Crafstman Ratchet...but you can be DAMNED SURE I'd rather have the one awesome tool than the 4 crappy ones.

Hi-Point's handguns are just really expensive paper-weights, door stops, bludgeons, etc.

If you seriously think that a Hi-Point is good enough for self defense, you haven't seen all them disintegrate, malfunction, and come no where near the target like I have over the years I've been shooting. Justifying their reliability just shows your new to the world of shooting and have no freaking clue about the difference between a good reliable weapon.....and a Hi-Point. Sure yours works now......but for how long until you have one of these.....and I've seen one of these. It'll ruin your day.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    If you seriously think that a Hi-Point is good enough for self defense, you haven't seen all them disintegrate, malfunction, and come no where near the target like I have over the years I've been shooting. Justifying their reliability just shows your new to the world of shooting and have no freaking clue about the difference between a good reliable weapon.....and a Hi-Point. Sure yours works now......but for how long until you have one of these.....and I've seen one of these. It'll ruin your day.

Was this your gun, or was it taken off the internet?... cause i can show you pictures of "reliable" guns that have blown up and malfunctioned also. The OP wanted opinions from owners of HP's. If this was your gun, could you explain a little more how this happened? bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I have the 45 and so far it shoots as well as my colt. Yes it is cheap, and may not hold up, yes it is clunky. It was my first 45 and it may fly aprt one day but I don't shoot it often. Until I got my colt it was by my bedside raight along with my Judge. I would not carry it due to the size and weight but I would depend on it if I had to for defense.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post

How does anecdotal evidence equate to the truth? My purpose for making this thread was so that all of us could get a clearer idea if Hi points in general were good enough to be used when your life counted on it. Now I do believe that the carbines are quality weapons & I wouldn't hesitate to trust my life to it's use. The pistols on the other hand may be another story. But you know what? Let us get to the truth of the matter so we can make an accurate assesment. If you do not have first hand accounts of the weapons reliability or lack thereof, you do not need to reply. I'm not trying to be a jackhole, I just want everyone to know the truth one way or the other.

My vote: Carbines yes definitly, pistols maybe.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links