The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

This is a discussion on The Truth: Hi Point Firearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HiPoint, I own the .45 and the 9 handguns... They shoot... reliably and accurately I own a PC not a MAC... it does what a ...

View Poll Results: Are Hi Point weapons acceptable for self defense

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are fine as is

18 15.38%
  • No they are not acceptable

66 56.41%
  • yes but could use definite improvements

28 23.93%
  • No but with a few adjustments are a fit weapon

5 4.27%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

HiPoint, I own the .45 and the 9 handguns... They shoot... reliably and accurately
    I own a PC not a MAC... it does what a mac can do for less
    I own some harbor freight tools... I own some Craftsman tools... And a few Snap On tools too. they all do the jobs intended well.
    I own some Ryobi Power tools... Some DeWalt, some Harbor Freight... they function fine
    I own some hand forged Japanese kitchen knives, and some Ecko... all will cut meat or tomaters
    I carry Victorinox, Gerber and Kershaw... they all work as they should
    I Carry a CZ82 or a P64... they work well

Junk that don't work. I sell or give away...

Still have the HiPoints and all the stuff listed above...
    bunker, cthruit and gemer84 like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

Just remember, friends don't let friends buy Hi-Points.... 😲

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    HiPoint, I own the .45 and the 9 handguns... They shoot... reliably and accurately
    I own some harbor freight tools... I own some Craftsman tools... And a few Snap On tools too. they all do the jobs intended well.
    I own some Ryobi Power tools... Some DeWalt, some Harbor Freight... they function fine
    I own some hand forged Japanese kitchen knives, and some Ecko... all will cut meat or tomaters

well put
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    To the nay sayers, have you ever tried one or are you going on price/youtube evidence?

As to the poster who said buy a Bersa, it's only a little bit more and a "better" gun lets look at some information I gleaned from several sources (local) and the internet:

Bersa Thunder 45 vs. HiPoint JHP45
    Price (new) 399.99 vs. 179.99 (HiPoint wins)
    Price (used) 215.00 vs. 159.99 (HiPoint wins)
    Waranty Lifetime (non-transferrable) vs Lifetime (Transferrable) (HiPoint wins)
    What is Covered: BERSA S.A. offers to service and repair any defects or malfunction in this BERSA firearm excluding the finish, grips, sights or magazine, without charge and shall be waived if the defect or malfunction was caused by neglect, abuse, careless handling, unauthorized ammunition, ordinary wear and tear, unreasonable use or failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance as set forth in the instruction manual. vs. ANYTHING (anecdotal experience with a friends JHP 40 that was accidentally dropped in a bucket of cement). (HiPoint wins)
    Capacity: 7+1 vs. 9+1 (HiPoint wins)
    Weight: 27 oz vs 35 oz (Bersa Wins)

Based on this information I would take a HiPoint over a bersa, I can get a new one cheaper than a used Bersa, even if I get a used one, the warranty transfers and covers everything. I have higher capacity, and actually the weight helps in followup shots for me.

I like what one poster said, buy one (new or used), use it 5 years, hit with a hammer and get a new gun. Heck, I just may see if I can find someone who wants to "get rid of the hunk o' junk", offer them 10 bucks, hit it with a hammer and send it off to get a new gun, repeat every 5 years...LOL

Perhaps Bersa has changed but at one time you had to send it to Brazil (?) to get fixed, that takes time, HiPoint is American made, thus repair/replacement is quicker IMHO. For a truck/car/bedside/foyer gun I cant see beating one. Heck, it is already clunky, adding a light/laser won't make it any clunkier....and as stated, you are only out $150 if it gets taken. My friend is considering painting his some funky color to make it look like a toy so as to prevent theft from his truck!
    You misinterpreted my post. Someone suggested the S&W Sigma, I countered with the Bersa because it's very nearly the same price, maybe slightly more but has a better trigger than the Sigma which is somewhat infamous for it's poor trigger. I know, I owned one.

Additionally, you should compare the Bersa Thunder HC Series to the Hi-Point as both are full size weapons. You are comparing the Hi Point to a UC 45 which is a compact firearm.

But I really do have a difficult time believing someone who says they'd rather have a Hi Point over a much more reputable brand...I mean come on. I'm comfortable in the fact knowing I won't have to hit my Bersa with a hammer and mail it off every 5 years to maintain confidence in it. Or ever, for that matter.

I said it before, and I'll say it once more, if I were in a tight spot and needed an inexpensive (NOT cheap) gun fast, I'd look for a CZ-82. You can find them on gunbroker all day for $220. Sometimes you can get lucky and get one under $200. For that you get an extremely high quality weapon that will last for your lifetime. And probably a subsequent lifetime as well.

Yes, Hi-Point's warranty is nice but I'd rather spend $20-$40 more and get an infinitely higher quality pistol that I'll never have to worry about sending off for warranty repair in the first place. I'm speaking of the CZ especially here, but I have come to trust Bersa's quality just as highly too.
    zonker1986 and atctimmy like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Would never have them as my choice unless I am in desperate poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

I ran across an ORIGINAL first generation S&W Sigma .40 a few years back...priced too good to pass on. Yes, the trigger is not that of a tuned custom 1911, but I've used it to teach mt boys on, and they can shoot anything they pick up. The gun is reliable and shoots a variety of ammo. Maybe it's just a non-lemon variant. They are not well thought of guns, but they don't all have to be....it could be used for a "truck" gun, but i used it mostly to teach...if you can shoot a bad gun, you can be an artist with a good one.

That said, I don't choose to rely on that, but I could if I didn't have bettr...I do have a HP 9mm carbine. Reliably performs, but I don't want to take it to war, either. The handguns are poor choices for CC because few acceptable CC holsters, excessive weight and they are configured like a "Planet of the Apes" gun. But there's a place for lots of things in my world.

VIP Member
    A wise former boss told me,
    "Always buy the best you can afford, and you'll never be dissapointed".

I have heeded this advice, and more often than not, he's been right.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    A wise former boss told me,
    "Always buy the best you can afford, and you'll never be dissapointed".

I have heeded this advice, and more often than not, he's been right.
    Can you compare a Mercedes Benz to a Toyota Camry???? You bet your bippie you can... they are both a tool that get you from point A to point B.... period. This thread was not about the best you can afford, it was about functionality and the possible need for improvement. I am not saying dont buy the best quality you can afford, i am saying sometimes people need to open their eyes about function and reliability based on facts, instead of unfounded hype. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I just read several threads on this site devoted to HP's. One comment I kept reading was "how much is your life worth". Frankly my life is worth way more than I could ever spend on a firearm. However, if I can defend it for $150 then I guess I have truely found a bargin. However lets look at it the way they seem to be meaning....

A HP jhp 45 costs $170, now lets say you are a typical single parent working a minimum wage job; $265 after taxes per week, Rent would take one full check, transportation (car payment/insurance/gas) another week; food/utilities etc. would be about 1 1/2 weeks, thus you have $130 left at the end of the month and you want to be able to protect yourself and family....what .45 acp firearm can you purchase for that $130? A used HP jhp 45 would run you $145 (actual price at the local pawnshop), scrimp a bit on food and you can probably come up with the $15, and purchase a .45 cal handgun, the following week tightenup the belt again and get a box of ammo....

I commend HiPoint for providing personal protection for the underpriveleged. An affordable way to deal with the dangers of living in our modern society.
    blitzburgh likes this.

VIP Member
    i have no problem with people who think HP pistols are OK for home defense. As long as they've put enough rounds through their HP to know that it works.

My problem is with the people that can't understand that there are better pistols than a HP, and that you GET more when you spend more. HPs are clunky, heavy and completely sub par regarding size/weight/capacity.
    zonker1986 and 380ACP like this.

atctimmy, yes there are better guns than a High Point, but putting more money into something does not mean you get more quality! I've seen many things in my 52 years that were cheap but outlasted and outperformed higher priced items, not just in weapons, in everything! Would I trust a $179.00 High Point to defend my life over a $700.00 Sig, damn skippy! Does Sig or anyone else offer a Transferrable Lifetime Warranty? Have you ever shot a High Point, I mean really shot, alot of rounds shot? Yes it may be big and bulky, not a concealed carry, but a true lifesaver! I never bash or compliment any item unless I've used it. I'll match my 995ts with my Marlin 30-30, Winchester 94 or M1 carbine anyday. I'll match my C9 with my Ruger P85, SR9c or LC9 anyday! I trust my life and my families with a High Point!
    QKShooter, investigate before you hate! The metal in a High Point is NOT Pot Metal! The metal is called "Zamak", look it up. I've seen many a High Points over the years and I have Never seen one have metal issues! And even if it had, it has a LifeTime Warranty! Why would High Point offer a LifeTime Warranty if it was made of Pot Metal?
    Not sure why people bash these guns, is it just because their cheap? I bought a new Saturn a few years back, the same year my brother bought a new Mercedes! I can honestly say, I have gotten to drive my Saturn alot more than my brother has drove his Mercedes, meaning, I have had alot LESS trouble out of my $15,000.00 car than my brother has had out of his $65,000.00 car! Price does not mean everything!
    Good Luck to All, I'll keep my High Points regardless!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    i have no problem with people who think HP pistols are OK for home defense. As long as they've put enough rounds through their HP to know that it works.

My problem is with the people that can't understand that there are better pistols than a HP, and that you GET more when you spend more. HPs are clunky, heavy and completely sub par regarding size/weight/capacity.
    I don't think that the OP is inferring that a HP is just as good, in every way possible, as any other firearm. I think the point is he's trying to determine if they are reliable and good enough for the intended purpose.

Sure you can get more if you spend more, but there are plenty of folks that can't really spend more; or more importantly, could put the $100 they save on the firearm towards enough practice ammo to have some basic level of familiarity. While I agree that I wouldn't carry a HP for all the reasons you mentioned, there are folks that would be better served buying a HP and a bunch of range ammo and I guarantee you that a HP that you've spent time with and know how to shoot is a much better gun than the (insert more expensive brand name here) that you haven't shot because all your cash went into the gun...

[QUOTE=cthruit;2370945]if you can shoot a bad gun, you can be an artist with a good one.QUOTE]

Well put
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by 1Gopher View Post
    QKShooter, investigate before you hate! The metal in a High Point is NOT Pot Metal! The metal is called "Zamak", look it up.

I did, and exactly what about Zamak am I supposed to be impressed by...and why are you so impressed?

Zamak
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zamak ingotZamak (formerly trademarked as ZAMAK[1] and also known as Zamac) is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper. Zamak alloys are part of the zinc aluminium alloy family; they are distinguished from the other ZA alloys because of their constant 4% aluminium composition.[2] The name zamak is an acronym of the German names for the metals of which the alloys are composed: Zink (zinc), Aluminium, Magnesium and Kupfer (copper).[2] The New Jersey Zinc Company developed zamak alloys in 1929. While zinc alloys are popularly referred to as pot metal or white metal, zamak is held to higher industrial standards.

The most common zamak alloy is zamak 3, but zamak 2, zamak 5 and zamak 7 are still commercially used.[2] These alloys are most commonly die cast.[2] Zamak alloys (particularly #3 and #5) are frequently used in the spin casting industry.

A large problem with early zinc die casting materials was zinc pest, owing to impurities in the alloys.[3] Zamak avoided this by the use of 99.99% pure zinc metal, produced by New Jersey Zinc's use of a refluxer as part of the smelting process.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

My original question & the name attributed to this thread is: "Are Hi Point weapons acceptable for defense?". Acceptable meaning, are they reliable, are they accurate enough. In all honesty I feel the answer is yes. The poll says differently but the third choice "yes but they could use definite improvements" has gained & continues to gain ground on the 2nd option which is, "no they are not acceptable". In other words, roughly half say no & half say yes.

So the truth as I see it, based off of my own personal experiences & the opinions of those on this esteemed board is, yes Hi Point weapons are acceptable for defense.

Mods if you want you may sticky this if you do not thats ok too but it may be helpful for future folks that join the board.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links