The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

This is a discussion on The Truth: Hi Point Firearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 I did, and exactly what about Zamak am I supposed to be impressed by...and why are you so impressed? Zamak From ...

View Poll Results: Are Hi Point weapons acceptable for self defense

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are fine as is

    18 15.38%
  • No they are not acceptable

    66 56.41%
  • yes but could use definite improvements

    28 23.93%
  • No but with a few adjustments are a fit weapon

    5 4.27%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 99 of 99
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

  1. #91
    Member Array USPatriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I did, and exactly what about Zamak am I supposed to be impressed by...and why are you so impressed?

    Zamak
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Zamak ingotZamak (formerly trademarked as ZAMAK[1] and also known as Zamac) is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper. Zamak alloys are part of the zinc aluminium alloy family; they are distinguished from the other ZA alloys because of their constant 4% aluminium composition.[2] The name zamak is an acronym of the German names for the metals of which the alloys are composed: Zink (zinc), Aluminium, Magnesium and Kupfer (copper).[2] The New Jersey Zinc Company developed zamak alloys in 1929. While zinc alloys are popularly referred to as pot metal or white metal, zamak is held to higher industrial standards.

    The most common zamak alloy is zamak 3, but zamak 2, zamak 5 and zamak 7 are still commercially used.[2] These alloys are most commonly die cast.[2] Zamak alloys (particularly #3 and #5) are frequently used in the spin casting industry.

    A large problem with early zinc die casting materials was zinc pest, owing to impurities in the alloys.[3] Zamak avoided this by the use of 99.99% pure zinc metal, produced by New Jersey Zinc's use of a refluxer as part of the smelting process.

    This reminds me that the ancients used to use both copper & tin for various things & then found out that adding a little tin to copper made bronze. A metal strong enough at the time to have an epoch named after it. My point here is do not discount it because the majority of the alloy is zinc.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #92
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,152
    I sure have seen a mountain of broken and shattered Zinc die-cast in my day. Hopefully the Zamak is a lot better.
    If it is then that's a good thing.
    My primary concern (other than the top heavy aspect and the increased bulk of the top end which are a negative) is for the safety of the shooter/owner because (believe it or not) I do not want any shooters getting hurt (even Hi-point owners) due to inferior materials being used for pistol slides.
    Which has happened with some of the other smaller cheap semi-autos that have sported non steel Zinc based slides.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  4. #93
    Member Array Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    292
    Funny, alot of the negative comments I have heard (read) about hipoints, are very similar to the ones I heard when Glocks first came out. My father, rest his soul, would never have owned a glock, he had NO faith in anything that "plastic". He drove gas guzzling 60's cars because anything made after 73 was "crap". I have adopted his philosophy of always get more than you pay for if at all possible, I don;'t buy anything based on NAME. IMHO, HiPoints are "more than you pay for", I have no experience with the 9mm or 380 (again IMHO they are kinda pointless); 380 is a debatable round for defense (at least in some eyes), it is more suited for a compact BUG; which HP's are NOT, plus I feel the 380 rounds lack the power to effectively use the blowback design, perhaps some of the lower power 9mm rounds are the same. With 9mm's their stong point (from my view point) is capacity and light weight power, HPs are weak on those two points. The 40 and 45's are good ta go in my book and I actually want one of them, at least the 45 if not both...

    On a lighter note, my wife LIKED the look of the OD green one in my hand, but as I have found out, my hand tends to make even the largest soda look small; I routinely drink my diet coke from 2 liter bottle. Her comment was, "Da**, that gun LOOKS FREAKIN HUGE!"; most weapons look like toys in my hand...

  5. #94
    New Member Array gemer84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1
    Apparently many of the posters didn't read the original question. Just because you say something is cheap or unrefined doesn't effect its ability to be reliable when and if it comes down to it. I own a CF380 and I have never once had an ejecting or feeding issue. Anything mass produced including your beloved Glocks and whatnot can suffer from any problems associated with a snag here and there. Not to say anything bad about Glocks or any other big brand it just makes me laugh when someone asks for an unbiased opinion and receives more then half of just that. Read the title THE TRUTH. Not well it cost 150 bucks and has composite materials on non stress points so it sux. The truth is that if you havent owned one then read and learn because your opinion is not warranted. I vote acceptable!

  6. #95
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,980
    Quote Originally Posted by gemer84 View Post
    The truth is that if you havent owned one then read and learn because your opinion is not warranted. I vote acceptable!

    Hmmm...

    Thankfully, discernment is possible with the human mind. One doesn't have to sample a fresh steaming dog excrement in order to know that its flavor is inferior.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  7. #96
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,450
    Quote Originally Posted by gemer84 View Post
    Apparently many of the posters didn't read the original question. Just because you say something is cheap or unrefined doesn't effect its ability to be reliable when and if it comes down to it. I own a CF380 and I have never once had an ejecting or feeding issue. Anything mass produced including your beloved Glocks and whatnot can suffer from any problems associated with a snag here and there. Not to say anything bad about Glocks or any other big brand it just makes me laugh when someone asks for an unbiased opinion and receives more then half of just that. Read the title THE TRUTH. Not well it cost 150 bucks and has composite materials on non stress points so it sux. The truth is that if you havent owned one then read and learn because your opinion is not warranted. I vote acceptable!
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    As the owner of two C9's, I've earned the right to say the handguns are UNACCEPTABLE.
    It's not often that I quote myself, but to reiterate that many of us are unfortunately quite qualified in our assessment. (It's the dog poo of handguns)
    atctimmy likes this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  8. #97
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,372
    I love when the hardcore HiPointers show up out of nowhere with a zero post count. Are they paid shills or are they just hardcore HiPoint zealots trolling the internet for a fresh HP thread?

    The truth is this, I can pound a screw into a piece of wood with a hammer but that doesn't make it a good tool for that job.

  9. #98
    Senior Member Array RemMod597's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    behind you...
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    The little mag pouch that fits over the butt of the gun (only for use on the Planet of the Apes carbines, not the TC) fixes the cheek slap issue. Helps with the capacity thing, too!

    Attachment 62054
    Just haven't been able to warm up to that buttstock mag pouch. My spare mags for the 4095 are carried in a dedicated fanny pack.
    I might fabricate a little pad for the cheek area, though. Thanks for the kick-start to a project!
    lowercase likes this.


    The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

  10. #99
    New Member Array Hipiap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I love when the hardcore HiPointers show up out of nowhere with a zero post count. Are they paid shills or are they just hardcore HiPoint zealots trolling the internet for a fresh HP thread?

    The truth is this, I can pound a screw into a piece of wood with a hammer but that doesn't make it a good tool for that job.

    Funny comment.

    I have never owned any of the Hi Point Pistols...but actually have been doing some research on the 9mm HC-9 since you can now register firearms in the City of Chicago...and I'm looking for a plinker for my wife when I'm not at home (I'm new to law enforcement in Chicago and only have my duty pistol atm.) and I have my Sig with me at work. And found this thread/site via web searches.

    Now..my first and only carbine purchase was in the mid-90s....and it was the Hi Point 9mm...I think it is the 995 model...And my first pistol was the Bersa .380 Thunder....the guy in the gun store where I got them both had said I should get a Hi Point 9mm as well as the carbine, but they were out at the time...so I grabbed the Bersa, as my agency wasn't allowing us to carry the 9mm yet.

    I have never had any problems with it and it is the perfect low cost Truck gun. I've thrown cheap 9mm ball and expensive Hydroshock and Winchester and Federal through it over the past 15 years and never have had a problem with FTF or FTE. And like everyone else here my only real beef with the carbine is the small cap mag it comes with, and the fact that by design it seems to not be able to take any 3rd party extended cap mags..although I've heard rumors of 15 round magazines appearing at gun shows and rumors that they supposedly can take a 15 round glock mag.

    The nice thing about the Hi Point carbine And pistols though is that if you have the same Caliber pistol and Carbine...the magazines will work for both.

    I'm currently in the process of sending my Carbine to Ohio for a 15 year checkup/rebuild....the Warranty is great...no questions asked when i explained it was over 10 years old and I just wanted to have it checked out. They said they will just rebuild it with the new receiver, 2 new mag's, etc...and ship it back.

    I will never give up the Hi Point Carbine.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

does smith and wesson make hi point

,

does zamak-3 become brittle with age

,
gunblast hi point
,
hi point 45 vs 1911
,

hi point gun blast

,
hi point gun smiths louisville ky.
,
hi point zamak
,

hi-point catastrophic failure

,
powered by mybb defence
,
truth about hi point pistols
,

truth about hi-point firearms

,
what are high point handguns made of
Click on a term to search for related topics.