The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

This is a discussion on The Truth: Hi Point Firearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to know the truth about things so that I can make accurate life decisions, I assume the rest of you are like that ...

View Poll Results: Are Hi Point weapons acceptable for self defense

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are fine as is

18 15.38%
  • No they are not acceptable

66 56.41%
  • yes but could use definite improvements

28 23.93%
  • No but with a few adjustments are a fit weapon

5 4.27%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Truth: Hi Point Firearms

I like to know the truth about things so that I can make accurate life decisions, I assume the rest of you are like that as well. So every so often I thought I would make a new thread entitled, "The Truth" to get down to the facts about a particular weapon, piece of gear, ammo, etc.. This particular "The Truth" is going to be about Hi Point Firearms. It is particularly important that if you just want to bash the weapon because it's inexpensive, please don't use the poll or reply. If however you have had negative experiences with a Hi Point firearm, by all means use the poll & or reply! Likewise, if you have had positive experiences please reply. So here is "The Truth" about Hi Point firearms as I see it.

First off as I said in a previous thread, my only first hand experiences with Hi Point concerns the 9mm carbine which I find to be completely reliable after literally thousands of rounds of ammo being ran through it. It is accurate & I have had no FTF or FTE problems. The weapon is also very accurate. I would have no problem relying on it in a self defense situation.

On the other hand, although the weapon has had no problems, I feel it could use a dust cover over the extraction port. It would also benefit from a larger magazine capacity, higher grade metal for the upper, better grip style & an easier way to take down & clean the weapon.

Overall I feel the weapon is totally acceptable as a self defense weapon.

U.S. Patriot

My 9mm Carbine has been great
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    From what I've seen, HiPoint is like most other manufacturers of "reasonably priced" firearms... they make some good stuff and some not-so-good stuff. The carbines tend to lean more towards the "good stuff" side and as a bonus, they're a blast to shoot! Now I'm not saying a gun has to be incredibly high priced to make it to the "great stuff" category, but that unfortunately is the perception for many. There are many factors that must be considered when ranking a gun on the bad-good-great scale and a lot of those factors are a matter of personal preference, but when qualifying a firearm as preferred for personal defense, reliability is paramount... and the only way to judge that parameter is to shoot the firearm a lot and in varying conditions. I generally won't carry a sidearm that I haven't put at least a thousand round through, regardless of the manufacturer or the price. From a $300 HiPoint to a Sig costing 4-5 times more, the tests are the same... if it goes BANG every time you squeeze the trigger then it gets a thumbs-up from me.

Shoot lots, shoot often!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    My 9mm Carbine has been great
    I would agree

I think they could use better sights.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Well, here's my view on Hi-Point.

At one time, I was embarrassed to admit I owned one. Not so much anymore. I own a Hi-Point Carbine 995 in 9mm. It is the only Hi-Point I own.

That thing spits out whatever I throw at it, and I've thrown some nasty, nasty ammunition at it before. It didn't fail then, and hasn't since either. I pretty much feed it a diet of whatever else I'm shooting out at the range in 9mm that day because it just doesn't care. It's quite accurate, extremely fun and cheap to shoot. I don't remember what I paid for it as it's been a long time, but whatever it was, it was a steal.

Mine is all modified now with an ATI stock, front vertical foregrip and a bunch of other fun stuff. It's a great range toy.

Would it be my go-to for a SHTF scenario? Nope, that goes to my AK-47. But I absolutely would hand it off to a fellow family member or friend to use. It's a great close quarters carbine, it's only drawback is it's limited capacity.

Hi-Point's main weakness, to me, is the polymer material they use to stock their carbines and handguns is horridly, cheap, flimsy, and butt ugly. I couldn't lose the Hi-Point's stock in favor of the ATI fast enough. I won't own one of the handguns because they are too big, clunky, flimsy, and ugly for any kind of dedicated use. One thing I won't discredit them for though is reliability, as I haven't heard very much in the way of negative reports in that sense about them. But, with the selection of handguns already at my disposal, let alone those that are available to buy, I can't justify buying a Hi-Point handgun. If I were in that market scenario I'd buy a CZ-82. Fantastic, well built and reliable handgun for only a small amount more.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

They work...... Not sexy..... Not my first choice...... They work
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Administrator
    For Self Defense? I Voted Unacceptable.

The handguns are overly top heavy and unbalanced. That is because the slides need to be much thicker than most other higher quality firearms.
    That is because the Hi-Point slides are not made of Steel. They are made of Pot Metal....AKA Zinc Die-cast.

A totally unacceptable material (in my opinion) for a serious self defensive firearm.

For a range gun - a fun gun - or an inexpensive plinker...go for it.

Just be warned of the fact that Zinc Die-cast gets increasingly more brittle as it ages and one day in the future expect to get a cracked slide lodged into your eye socket.

Geesh! Why don't they have have slides investment cast in Stainless in some 3rd world country - give those Stainless slides a simple sandblasted finish and make a better firearm for about the same cost?
    preachertim likes this.

IMO...forget about HP firearms for self preservation.

(as stated above)

According to the poll thus far................I'm still worried about this year's elections.
    Ranger45 and preachertim like this.

I've shot one or two acouple of times, No more than a mag at most. twas the HP45, I hit what I aimed at & that's all I can say. No vote for me ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I can understand how some folks might be attracted by the price...but my life and the lives of my loved ones are worth a little more.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

For range use and maybe a home defence gun you would at least be closer to another weapon if needed. In that respect I would never carry one for personal defence.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    They would feel like you're carrying a brick strapped to your hip.
    revldm and Lawlerock like this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Administrator
    Spend a little bit more and buy a S&W SIGMA. Yes, it does not have a great trigger but, at least it's constructed of top quality materials.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Spend a little bit more and buy a S&W SIGMA. Yes, it does not have a great trigger but, at least it's constructed of top quality materials.
    If we're gonna enter that price range, I'd wager that a S&W 5906 trade-in would be a better buy. Or spend around the same, maybe a bit more and get a new Bersa.
    QKShooter and rocky like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links