Changing Allegiance - Page 2

Changing Allegiance

This is a discussion on Changing Allegiance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can relate to your story as I have gone through similar cycles of favorite carry guns. When you have several alternatives that you can ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Allegiance

Siren song of the 1911

I can relate to your story as I have gone through similar cycles of favorite carry guns. When you have several alternatives that you can choose, you tend to bounce back and forth, as each one has its pros and cons.

The 1911, especially the Commander size, is one of the more attractive carry guns out there from the standpoint of grip ergonomics, trigger feel, thin profile, good caliber, accuracy and good looks. I have a Kimber CDP Pro, similar to your Commander, that seems just about perfect in many respects. Sometimes I will be lured away by a Glock, Sig, H&K or S&W revolver, but I keep coming back to the Kimber.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    hey thumper pic didnt appear!
    I think I fixed it... thanks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

the commander sze carries very well espically if you drive a lot like i do the 5 inch starts digging into the seat and your side...

I got one more 4" comming this time a mimber i got on the cheep oh well another 1911

beats 911 every time.
    I love my Kimber Ultra CDP, I also have the Pro CDP...but the Ultra is SO nice!
    I am, however, going back and forth between my Ultra and my new Glock-36 which is mighty nice and even easier to conceal (well, a little easier).
    The triggers are different, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to my sense of feel.
    I do see a big difference in break down...the G is a breeze. The G can be broken down before the guy with the Kimber can find his paperclip!
    What is this world coming to...such choices!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Geez Bud, nice layout you got there! And one more coming to boot! Theres some real fun at the range with some of my favorite guns...
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    ....I wish I can carry a 1911....sheesh.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I'm new here and also can't carry (at least here in SoCal) so please take my views as short of experience. I used to work as manager and R.O. in a range so I at least carried at work but having free access to all firearms rental and otherwise, I went from one to another as most people do in their search for the perfect gun. Nothing seemed to come close as there was always something about it that I could nitpick about. So in my few short years of working, I acquired a SP 101, Smith 625, Smith 586 & a 686, Colt Commander, 3 Governments, Sig 239 (with both 40 & 357sig barrels) Ruger Mark II, Kahr 9, Kahr K-40, Walther P-7 M8, Walther P-5, Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt, Ruger Redhawk 41mag. and lastly - a Smith 4513 TSW. All carried at work at one time or another (except the Blackhawk). I never did find the one handgun for everything. So when I retired, I sold everything except 1 - 1911, Sig 239, Kahr K-40, Ruger Mk II, and the 4513 TSW. I guess I'm covered from cheap shooting 22's to 45's and single actions to D.A. BUT, the 1911 is still the one that still is the closest to my heart and the one that is on my dresser table. Excuse my ramblings.

Reaper...????

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    I'm new here and also can't carry (at least here in SoCal) so please take my views as short of experience. I used to work as manager and R.O. in a range so I at least carried at work but having free access to all firearms rental and otherwise, I went from one to another as most people do in their search for the perfect gun. Nothing seemed to come close as there was always something about it that I could nitpick about. So in my few short years of working, I acquired a SP 101, Smith 625, Smith 586 & a 686, Colt Commander, 3 Governments, Sig 239 (with both 40 & 357sig barrels) Ruger Mark II, Kahr 9, Kahr K-40, Walther P-7 M8, Walther P-5, Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt, Ruger Redhawk 41mag. and lastly - a Smith 4513 TSW. All carried at work at one time or another (except the Blackhawk). I never did find the one handgun for everything. So when I retired, I sold everything except 1 - 1911, Sig 239, Kahr K-40, Ruger Mk II, and the 4513 TSW. I guess I'm covered from cheap shooting 22's to 45's and single actions to D.A. BUT, the 1911 is still the one that still is the closest to my heart and the one that is on my dresser table. Excuse my ramblings.
    This is only a hunch but...
    you're not married are you?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsupt99,

Coming up on 34 years.
    Surprised I made it this far.

Congrats...

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    retsupt99,

Coming up on 34 years.
    Surprised I made it this far.
    We just finished the 35th...Labor Day weekend...spent it on the beach in St. Augustine...

You must have a GREAT wife...mine is...but she doesn't really know about ALL the guns...and...I probably don't know about ALL the jewelery!

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    From now on my daily carry is my old tried and true 1911 in the good ol' .45ACP.
    hi p8riot,
    i know exactly how you feel. once in awhile ill try something new but ultimately i always "come home". there are still times when i feel a glock or hk is more appropriate for the circumstance, but my preferred carry is, has always been, and most likely will always be my trusted 1911s. i own more than ill admit to, but prefer to carry any one of three:

springfield trp, colt combat commander xse, springfield ultra carry

welcome home!

VIP Member
    With the passing of Colonel Cooper, nothing could be more appropriate than strapping on a 1911. Wish I had one to wear today... but I am looking.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Hey...these 1911's might just catch on some day....
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    Hey...these 1911's might just catch on some day....
    That was funny

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    I am a SIG fan...
    Well if your a SIG fan and yet you love the 1911, sit down for this one, WHY NOT JUST GET A SIG 1911?

GSR_carry_BLK_left.jpg

Problem solved, you keep your faith with Sig, and still have a 1911...LIFE IS GOOD!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links