Changing Allegiance

Changing Allegiance

This is a discussion on Changing Allegiance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a SIG fan. A big SIG fan. In fact my wife just bougt me a brand new P229SAS in .357SIG (as yet unfired) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

Changing Allegiance

I am a SIG fan. A big SIG fan. In fact my wife just bougt me a brand new P229SAS in .357SIG (as yet unfired) for my 50th birthday. My trouble lies in the fact that I am also a big 1911 fan and have a safe full of them (I think I've got over a dozen), one of which is my all time favorite 1911, a Combat Commander that was my first civilian carry gun. Today my dilemma deepened.

I took the Colt out of the safe and took it out in back of the barn and proceeded to put 50 rds of Whitebox through it just for old time's sake. The thing pointed better than my P229 ever did, and the trigger was as crisp as ever. It broke right where I remembered, and my muscles remembered too. Everything worked the way it should have, and every round made COM. I decided to dust off my old carry holster, and strapped it on. It was thinner than the SIG, and a shade lighter as well. It was barely noticeable as I ran out to the store for a few items, and it didn't dig into my side as I sat in the car.

100 rounds later I put my old P229 on the board looking for another 239 or another Commander sized 1911. I am going to keep the SAS unfired for now, and clean up the old 229 for good and put it aside for it's next owner. From now on my daily carry is my old tried and true 1911 in the good ol' .45ACP.
    Last edited by p8riot; September 25th, 2006 at 05:25 AM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've tried other guns I fell in love with for a while, but in one way or another, they just never quite measured up to the 1911's and I've always ended up going back to carrying them.
    Congratulations on the SAS though. They sure are nice. I love my 1911's, but I've been lusting after a 239 SAS.

OD*
    Welcome back into the light.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Nothing wrong with that ive tried a lot of various guns and keep going back to a 1911 for carry

At least you're not going from Sig to HiPoint, Heritage, or Kel-Tec. Aparently they can be decent guns and I'm not trying to start any flaming. Just saying your going from one great platform to another. I'm going to stick with my Sig 220 for now and will get either a 226 or 228 in the near future, but I know a 1911 is in my future.

VIP Member
    Boy do I know what you mean... I just put my SIG P-226ST away and started carrying this:

Last edited by Thumper; September 25th, 2006 at 04:03 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

hey thumper pic didnt appear!

Tried and true 1911 for me
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by pat3332 View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've tried other guns I fell in love with for a while, but in one way or another, they just never quite measured up to the 1911's and I've always ended up going back to carrying them.
    Congratulations on the SAS though. They sure are nice. I love my 1911's, but I've been lusting after a 239 SAS.
    pat3332, Welcome to the forum
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

I noticed something while shopping for my latest 1911 aquisition. The guy behind the counter knew his stuff and had 1911's himself. While we were looking at several compact carry pieces he'd say things like "what about a brand Z model 3? 'course the trigger will be no where near as good as your 1911. Or a Piscataway Weasel? Ahhh, no it will seem really top heavy after a 1911. Then there's a,,,, no the safety'll seem backwards after a 1911. How about a,,, no the grip angle will take alot to get used to. Problem is you're used to the gold standard sir, maybe I just better keep showing more of them to you." There sure are many fine guns available to us today, but 1911's just seem to have a way of staying with a guy.

If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I don't think it's a "Changing Allegiance" as much as it's coming back to "Reality". The 1911 is a legend and impossible not to love for the one's who have held a fired one.

I carry one of two 1911's everyday. A Colt Commander or on the day's I need smaller a Kimber Ultra CDP. I think of changing often but then think naw, I can't do the unthinkable even if I am actually thinking about it. The thing is, it would only be for a change and nothing else so why? I'd probably buy it, carry it, and sell it all in the same day! I am just saving myself all the hassle.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; September 25th, 2006 at 09:26 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    I am perhaps one of the exceptions - but only because 1911's were never very much in my inventory over many years of shooting - BHP was closest I got. Add to that I could not (legally,!) carry.

Over last few years have only had one or two - in fact currently only the Sistema. So my choice is easier and SIG does it for me very well. I can tho fully understand why many folks will always tend to drift back to 1911 - again and again
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Welcome back into the light.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    +1
    Hey, I was just in your neighborhood this past Saturday. My mother lives in New Bern, I went down there to pick her up. She's staying here for the week. Gonna take her back this Saturday.

Dillema solved, if we simply place "what works / what's best" on the pedestal, instead of a given brand or model of product. I hear you, on the relative benefits of a Combat Commander vs. a SIG 229. Good features on both of them. And, there's something comforting and timeless about the 1911, as you rediscovered. Got to love J.M. Browning for his vision.

For me, it's: great aim, great pointing, great balance, good concealability, controls that are easy to use, it fits my smaller hands, and no jams. Very, very few pistols have all of these features, for me. Two have: Browning BDM, CZ 75 P-01 compact. The moment I find another, I'll certainly give it some consideration. But in 17 years of hunting around for options, I've only found two that had this degree of good (vs bad) features.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links