BUG--what do you carry?

This is a discussion on BUG--what do you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Once How would you ankle carry then? I would also be careful carry in the small of your back if you get ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: BUG--what do you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    How would you ankle carry then? I would also be careful carry in the small of your back if you get knocked down or fall that chunk of steel's gonna hurt.Take your time and find what you're comfortable with.
    Trouser pants, flare leg jeans, etc. The fitted part of my pants (when fitted) are at the top, not at the bottom.
    Like so: Ann Taylor - AT Denim - Modern Denim Flare Jeans

Thanks for the tip about small-of-the-back carry.
    "The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994**

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I often wonder why civillian concealed carry folks percieve the need for a BUG. I certainly don't. I've not done the math but I'd be surprised if it makes sense for a civillian. An LEO, doubtless it makes sense, but that's a whole different story.

I do carry a spare magazine for which ever gun I'm carrying at the moment, but I've never felt the need for a second gun. I did it a couple of times - G26 IWB under a sweatshirt, LCP or P238 in a pocket, but it just seemed unnecessary. I completely trust my primary carry gun or I wouldn't carry it. At this point, my 19 and 26 have several thousand rounds through them from the magazines I have in them when I carry them. The odds of ever needing even one gun are really very small.

I've not seen a statistic on the probability of needing my gun but it's got to be a very small number. The chances of needing my gun and having it not work are so small as to be a hypothetical case. The chance of needing my gun and not having enough ammo when the gun has 11 in it and there are 15 more in the second magazine so I have to go to a BUG with 5 or 6 more, has to be really really small. The most common number of shots fired in a defensive gun use is zero, yes, zero. Something like 80% of the time no shots are fired. When shots are fired, the most common number is 2 at a distance of 5 to 7 feet.

The truth is, exercising, eating right, controlling weight, avoiding over exposure to the sun and not smoking will do more to improve your life span than carrying a gun. I carry one anyway (and I exercise, don't smoke, try not to get sunburned, am not over weight and I've made it to 70 and counting), but I don't carry two.

Still chuckling about the guy with the LCP in the sandwich bag in his swimsuit pocket. I mean, it's clever, but I DO NOT want to know where he kept the BUG. TMI!

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

It's because we just can't decide between our two favorite guns and don't want one to feel bad, so we bring them both.
    Pistoldoc likes this.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

A lot of the time.......my BUG is my primary. 3rd gen G27 11 rounds of 40S&W on tap. If it's actually carried as a BUG, it's backing up a G23.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Fitch - Why a BUG?

1. It allows me to arm someone else, like my wife, who does not carry her own as often as she probably should.

2. My primary most days is a low-cap gun - a revolver. A BUG gives me a "NY reload" which is much faster than trying to reload the revolver while under stress.

3. I pocket carry, so having a BUG gives me ambidextrous access to a sidearm - important when one hand/arm might be busy with a child. Also important if one hand/arm is injured or otherwise not able to be used.

4. In the event of a malfunction, it is usually faster to draw a BUG than to attempt to fix the primary (if it is fixable at all).

I'd rather carry two sidearms on body and no spare ammo (which is what I do in suit and tie), than only a primary plus spare ammo. I've seen and experienced too many firearm failures to trust having only one. JMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    It's because we just can't decide between our two favorite guns and don't want one to feel bad, so we bring them both.
    Now that makes perfect sense!

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    In an ideal situation, I figure the best back-up handgun is a duplicate of one's "primary" handgun, or at least able to share magazines and/or ammo at reloading time. I have, at times, since 1984, carried two .38 or .357 revolvers, large and compact 1911 pistols, two of the same model Glock pistols, large Glock with baby Glock, two SIG P229 pistols, large 1911 with compact 1911, and even, sometimes, two 1911 pistols; this is not in chronological order.

Obviously, if one's primary handgun is relatively large, carrying a duplicate is not always going to work. I have always owned one or more S&W J-frame snubby revolvers, chambered in .38 Special. If there is a better universal back-up weapon, for the greatest number of folks, I am not sure what it would be. S&W's sales figures seem to support this. Since about 1997 or 1998, I have usually managed to carry a Ruger SP101 as a minimum weapon. An SP101 is just a bit larger than the typical small-frame revolver, but is large enough, in my skinny hands, at least,
    to handle about as well as a service handgun. I purchased a second SP101 in 2002 or 2003, and have tended to carry two at a time since then, if not carrying one SP101 plus something larger.

I am not saying an SP101 is going to work for everyone, especially in the back-up role. I do not mind the weight, but some carry methods work better with somewhat lighter and smaller weapons. If I ever return to routinely using ankle carry, well, that is what my Airweight S&W J-frame is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I often wonder why civillian concealed carry folks percieve the need for a BUG. I certainly don't. I've not done the math but I'd be surprised if it makes sense for a civillian. An LEO, doubtless it makes sense, but that's a whole different story.

The truth is, exercising, eating right, controlling weight, avoiding over exposure to the sun and not smoking will do more to improve your life span than carrying a gun. I carry one anyway (and I exercise, don't smoke, try not to get sunburned, am not over weight and I've made it to 70 and counting), but I don't carry two.

Most LEO's don't carry backups. I agree, I just carry a g19

Sent via Mental Power

Seldom have a BUG, but on the rare occasion I do...it's my KelTec P-3AT tucked in my SOB holster or just in a pocket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links