BUG--what do you carry?

This is a discussion on BUG--what do you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I just got my CHL earlier this month and bought a S&W M&P Shield (after searching high and low). I love it, but in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: BUG--what do you carry?

BUG--what do you carry?

So, I just got my CHL earlier this month and bought a S&W M&P Shield (after searching high and low). I love it, but in the future I may want a BUG (likely to wear at the ankle--I'm a woman and have no intention of wearing cargo pants or the like for pocket carry!).

Do you carry a BUG?
    If so, what kind?
    What do you like about it?

My preference is SA, but I'm open to revolvers.

Thanks.
    "The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994**

2. Remove Ads

My favorite BUG is the Ruger LCR.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I always carry a KelTec P3AT as my BUG
    Chris Dawg likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    My favorite is my S&W Model 36 Chiefs Special snubby....goes with me everywhere, and usual main carry is the Glock 19.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

On duty, my BUG can be either my G26 or my LCR.

Off duty, my usual BUG is one of my LCPs.

My BUG is always in my support-side pocket.

I would not recommend a SA pistol for ankle carry. Too much chance of crud getting between the cocked hammer and the firing pin, causing a misfire. Would also not recommend the LCP or P3at for ankle carry, as they have a slot in the back of the slide for the hammer that can also let in crud. Would lean towards a striker fired pistol or a revolver - with the nod to the revolver, due to less weight.

PS - What's wrong with cargo pants?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    On duty, my BUG can be either my G26 or my LCR.

Off duty, my usual BUG is one of my LCPs.

My BUG is always in my support-side pocket.

I would not recommend a SA pistol for ankle carry. Too much chance of crud getting between the cocked hammer and the firing pin, causing a misfire. Would also not recommend the LCP or P3at for ankle carry, as they have a slot in the back of the slide for the hammer that can also let in crud. Would lean towards a striker fired pistol or a revolver - with the nod to the revolver, due to less weight.

PS - What's wrong with cargo pants?
    Thanks for the advice!

LOL @ your question about the cargo pants. Darnit, I work hard for my figure and I don't intend to hide it in cargo pants!
    "The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994**

I have carried a 642 in a Galco ankle glove for the best part of three years. I forget its there most of the time which is great as it means I won't ever be tempted to leave it at home for comfort reasons and its practically invisible.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

i would suggest the LCP for ankle carry. it's thin and really light.

Depends on what my primary is. I usually carry the same caliber for ease of use of same ammo. If I'm carrying my G23 then I will use my G27 as BUG. If my primary is my G19 then BUG will be the G26. Sometimes I carry my G27 or G26 as primary. In that case I carry my LCR as BUG, with a couple speed strips handy.

J frame 642 or 442. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

for many mango seasons on the job it was a s&w model 36. then when kel tec came out with the p3at i move to it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistoldoc View Post
    Thanks for the advice!

LOL @ your question about the cargo pants. Darnit, I work hard for my figure and I don't intend to hide it in cargo pants!
    I don't mean to be rude. Im curious now that you mentioned figure, do you off body carry your primary?

I carry a G22 or G23 IWB now for my primary (which really ruins my figure ) and when I carry a bug its a G27 on the ankle. Same caliber and G22 reload works in the G27.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I don't mean to be rude. Im curious now that you mentioned figure, do you off body carry your primary?

I carry a G22 or G23 IWB now for my primary (which really ruins my figure ) and when I carry a bug its a G27 on the ankle. Same caliber and G22 reload works in the G27.
    I carry on body, appendix carry most of the time (I just got my CHL, so take "much of time" with a grain of salt). I also carry using these: Concealment Compression Undershorts - The Well Armed Woman However, I've found myself wearing tunics to avoid printing. I plan to make use of blazers once it cools off. I'm still trying to work out the best carrying method for me (purse carry is a last resort).

As far as the Shield....so far so good. I plan to hit up the range this weekend to continue breaking it in.

I run a SIG 238. Goes well with my 229.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic here, BUT, if you have the Shield (Sub compact) as a primary, why wouldn't you also use one as your BUG? You stated you were going to ankle carry. If you check the size parameters of the Shield vs something like the S&W 642, the Shield is actually smaller, tho weighs 5 oz. more. Once your muscle memory gets used to the Shield, it would only make sense to keep one as your BUG...Right size, right weight, right caliber, a weapon that you are accustomed to running.....Sounds like the stars are aligned to me.....I carry a G19 (Compact 9mm), but if I carry a BUG iit is my G26 (Subcompact 9mm)..JMO
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links