Can you tell recoil diff betwen gen3 - gen4 glocks?

This is a discussion on Can you tell recoil diff betwen gen3 - gen4 glocks? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't shot one side by side, but I'm curious for anyone who has (especially on the range at the same time side by side) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can you tell recoil diff betwen gen3 - gen4 glocks?

I haven't shot one side by side, but I'm curious for anyone who has (especially on the range at the same time side by side) shot both a gen 3 and a gen 4 of the same pistol/caliber (gen3 G19 vs gen4 G19(, did you feel the difference in recoil with the regular spring and the new dual spring?

Thanks!

during my initial research (after this post) I found this on another forum

I shot the glock 19 gen 3 and 4 side by side and i Own the gen 4. During shooting, I could not tell much of a difference between the two if any. The trigger pull was a difference however, the Gen 4's is crisper and heavier with a much nicer reset. the Gen 3's was squshy (sp) but lighter. I was shooting 115 grain cheap ammo though, I think a difference would be noticed with the heavier ammo or with stuff loaded alot hotter. I have heard that the .40 is noticeably different between the two but have not shot them side by side.
    and a review that compares a gen3 and gen4 which talks about the recoil/spring system for both pistols

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/gun-...-generation-4/

mrm
    I have shot the 23 in the gen 3 and gen 4 side by side and there is in my opinion a huge difference. The recoil of the gen 4 reminds me of shooting my 19 in the gen 3 so I was extremely pleased with the outcome as I had just purchased the gen 4.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

CJM
    9mm Glocks, no difference in my opinion. .40S&W, yes a big difference.

I'm not going to school yet on this 4th gen ordeal. If I do take the chance.....I'll post my totally objective view on the subject.

I own a gen 3 Glock 19 and I've shot the gen 4; I've done this on consecutive days. I can tell absolutely no difference.

gen3 17 and then gen4 17. Can't tell the difference. If there is such a huge difference in the .40 though I really need to try out a gen4 23C.

VIP Member
    Hi,

I have shot a few models side by side extensively. I would give the Gen 4's about a 15 to 20 percent difference in being softer shooting. I have said this before and I will say it again, the Gen 4 is the best Gen Glock ever made. No real reason to get a Gen 3 anymore if you are in the market for a new Glock.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I'm assuming there is no difference in the sub-compact Glocks, since they already have a dual spring system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm not going to school yet on this 4th gen ordeal. If I do take the chance.....I'll post my totally objective view on the subject.
    If I ever get any free time, and you're free at the same time, you are more than welcome to run some rounds through my gen 4 17. Only problem is, I don't have a gen 3 17 to compare it to. I'm certainly not the type that's going to get my feelings hurt from any objectivity on a gun I own.

With the 19s, I can't tell a difference. Never shot them side by side. Had the old brass in the face problem with a Gen 3, had Glock fix it (sort of), and then offloaded the 3 for a 4, which is a true honey.

Gen 3 G19's recoil? I never noticed.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Recoil sensation is highly subjective. That said, I feel much less recoil and muzzle rise with my Gen 4 Glock 19, 31 and 32 than in their Gen 3 ancestors. Besides, and much more importantly, the Gen 4 guns feel and point MUCH better than do their Gen 2 and 3 counterparts, to this old 1911-shooter.

Love my Gen4. Never fired a Gen3, but you'd have to pry the 4 from my cold, dead fingers if you think I'll trade it for a 3.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Hi,

I have shot a few models side by side extensively. I would give the Gen 4's about a 15 to 20 percent difference in being softer shooting. I have said this before and I will say it again, the Gen 4 is the best Gen Glock ever made. No real reason to get a Gen 3 anymore if you are in the market for a new Glock.
    Don't get me wrong because I love Glock. But the saying the gen4 is the best ever is just an opinion. IMO the best ever is the gen2 before they started putting finger grooves on the guns. Glock is currently having a 17 recoil spring voluntary recall (have already replaced mine), they have acknowledged issues with the 22 with lights mounted (a bid deal to a cop), and various other issues. I'm convinced they are going to keep changing things until the completely ruin the gun. Did I mention how easy those dots on the RTF are damaged?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links