SIG P226 (SIG Re-Certified)

This is a discussion on SIG P226 (SIG Re-Certified) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up another SIG at my local gun show yesterday. I got a SIG P226 recertified in .40 with 2 magazines and lock for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MLittle

Thread: SIG P226 (SIG Re-Certified)

I picked up another SIG at my local gun show yesterday. I got a SIG P226 recertified in .40 with 2 magazines and lock for $600 out the door plus paid $50 for 2 additional magazines

The gun looks pretty much new, no holster wear or scratches. It does NOT have night sites, and the contrast sites appear to be off. The gun is consistently shooting tight groups about 8" left of bulls eye when aiming at bullseye. I have a SIG SP2022 .40 with Night Sites that I have no issues consistently shooting tight groups at the same distance so that is why I feel the sites are off on this P226. Also, when I spoke with SIG Custom shop they told me they check the gun, replace all springs and lube and clean when re-certifying guns but do not touch or check the sites.

I just called SIG to have them install night sites on the P226 and they informed me their SIG Custom shop is running a special this week.

1. Hone and polish critical surfaces to lighten and smooth both the double-action and single-action trigger
    2. Feed Ramp Polish
    3. Barrel Re-Crowned to an 11 degree target crown
    4. Free VIP Round Trip Shipping (Overnight shipping to SIG and 2nd Day Air back to Customer)
    5. Additional 30% off any other SIG Custom Shop services if you want something else done

Special Price this week: $189.95

I also added the SIG Night Sites installation
    Regular Price $119.95 - 30% discount from above special = $89.00 (I can't even buy Trijicon night sites for this price, let alone installed!!)

Total Cost for all of the above including shipping: $278.95

Regular pricing from SIG Custom shop for all of the above work: $434.80

If you are familiar with the SIG Custom Shop pricing you will know this is one heck of a deal. I am shipping my gun to them tomorrow and they said I will have it back in my hands in less than 2.5 weeks.

I also ordered the Hogue Rubber Grip w/Finger Grooves for it. I wasn't happy about the site issues with my new SIG but am very excited to get my P226 back after all the above work is done.

Last edited by padom; August 27th, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

I can't speak for the quality of work by the SIG Custom shop because I've never employed their services; but, from what I've read on the Sig Forum they generally receive good reviews.

I wanted to mention to you that if I were you, I'd have them put standard Sig night sights on that Sig. The factory night sights are Mepro night sights.....not Trijicon. I have several Sigs and a couple of Glocks that came with factory night sights and they are all Mepros. I put some Trijicon night sights on my Glock 30 and don't like them that much. The white on the Mepros is much more visible in good light than the white on the Trijicons.

I don't know why you'd have the feed ramp polished.......did you have some failures to feed at the range? Also, my Sig triggers have been good right out of the box and have only improved with time.....not sure why you'd have that work done. I mean it's your money......the only thing I'd have them do is put on Sig factory night sights. If it was reconditioned by Sig, they already changed the springs for you. Anyway, you've got yourself a great pistol, enjoy.....
    Philly Boy likes this.

Thank you for the reply.

I have them installing the standard SIG Night Sites, I was only stating how much I found the Trijicons for before as a comparison to the price I am paying. Thought the price was a good deal from SIG.

In regards to the other work, I didn't need the feed ramp polished, but it comes with the special package they are offering this week. I only wanted the lighter trigger but all the other work came with the package, plus it gave me 30% off the night sights. I have an SP2022 and love it so i am familiar with the stock night sites and trigger (very nice) out of the box. Have a buddy with a P226 with trigger job and it is so smooth. Don't know how to explain but want my trigger like that. To each his own.

The only other thing I am mulling over is adding a Short Reset Trigger. I hear from many that they are awesome. Your thoughts? Is it worth it? Maybe SIG will allow me to substitute the SRT for the feed ramp polish plus a little cash.

Sent from my Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Well SIG gave me a deal of $63.95 for the Short Reset Trigger so I added that as well. Dropped my P226 off at Fedex with Overnight Air shipping to SIG today. Hope I have it back by the end of next week as my birthday is next Wednesday. This is an early present to myself! With my wife's blessing of course. haha

Well its been a long wait (3.5 weeks) but my P226 is being delivered to me today from SIG Custom shop.

Can't wait to get to the range and test it out. Will try to get there today or tomorrow and post back my feedback/thoughts.

You will like that SRT. Makes quite a difference. Both of my 229s have it.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    That looks like a fantastic P226, even for a CPO. Good find.

Trigger is very smooth. Can't wait to test at the range tomorrow

Got to the range today to test the P226. Sig tested the gun with Blazer brass 180g FMJ after completing all the work and included the target they used at 15 yards in the box (see below). I went to the range today and shot 100 rounds of Federal 180g FMJ at 15 yards and 25 yards. Im not the best shot but damn this gun is accurate and smooth and gotta love the short reset trigger for accurate, quick follow up shots. I am very pleased with the work SIG custom shop performed and would do it again. Im currently in the market for a SIG P239 and will send that to SIG custom shop as well for the action enhancement package and SRT.

SIG Custom Shop test - Blazer Brass 180g FMJ - 15 Yards

Range 9/19/12 - Federal 180g FMJ - 15 Yards

Range 9/19/12 - Federal 180g FMJ - 25 Yards

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I might have to get the SRT for my Sig soon.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Links