Looking for my first 1911 .45 for CC: what's the best value/best quality out there?

This is a discussion on Looking for my first 1911 .45 for CC: what's the best value/best quality out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a full size RIA 1911 GI model and shot it quite a bit, carried it some. I never could get really good results ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for my first 1911 .45 for CC: what's the best value/best quality out there?

I had a full size RIA 1911 GI model and shot it quite a bit, carried it some. I never could get really good results with the GI sights. A buddy of mine wanted it far more than I did so I sold it to him. Wish I had kept it now. I could have just changed out the sights and been happy with it. The only 45 I currently have is a Glock 36. Much smaller and lighter than the 1911, but the 1911 carries fine with a good belt and holster.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

I've had 2 Armscor produced 1911's. A Charles Daly 1911 EFS which was a full-size, and a Rock Island Armory 1911 CS which was an officer model with beavertail grip safety and commander hammer. Never got the chance to carry that gun, I will say that I could not imagine having carried a gun that weighed just a few ounces less than 3 lbs with a fully loaded 7 round magazine and 1 in the chamber. I will say that for the $410 I paid it was a lot of gun, a good value, and extremely reliable. I put about 2k rounds through that gun and the only issue I ever had was a magazine failing to engage the slide stop twice, but that was a mag issue not a gun issue. I would definitely recommend an Armscor manufactured 1911 if you are looking for reliability and value.

If I ever did buy a .45 for carry I would definitely look at the XDs, sure its got a little less capacity, but it looks a lot more comfortable to carry.

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    One more thing I'd like to mention, is are you sure you really want to carry a 1911? I love them, but dang they are big and heavy. You can still carry the same awesome .45 ACP round, but in a much smaller, thinner, and lighter gun if you get the new Springfield XDs
    I have to 2nd this. I'm a big tall guy...6'5" 235lbs and have lots of room to conceal. However having a 1911 digging into me all day, in and out of the car, sitting and standing would be very tough to deal with.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm not a big guy (5'10" and ~175lbs) and I carry a Colt Commander. It's not that bad at all. Yeah, it's a lot heavier than most other plastic pistols but it's just too good not to bring with me.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    If it was me, I'd save up a little and get a Colt, but there are some other good options. RIA has a good rep for a budget gun, but the Springfield might be the best bang-for-the-buck, and not too far off your $600 budget.

Shop around and check out a S&W, Sig, or Ruger, too. I don't think Kimber is an option on a tight budget. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim
    UPDATE:

As I posted in another thread, I just saw a Sig C3 at my LGS for $850. SWEET! I wasn't shopping for a new 1911, but I'm not sure I can let this one pass me by.

Regards,
    Jim

Another Springfield 1911 fan here!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

tooldawg99,

In the price range you're looking at, I think your main options will me a gun made by ATI, Armscor (RIA or Citadel) or Metro Arms (American Classic). I don't have either an ATI nor an RIA, but I do own a Citadel Concealed Carry model (Officer's size frame); both are made by the same company, Armscor. Nothing against RIA, but the Citadel was on sale at the time and the RIA lacked the Citadel's upgrades. The Citadel upgrades included Novak type sights (my aging eyes really need sights more substantial than GI sights), target hammer/trigger, extended thumb safety/slide stop, flared ejection port and beavertail grip safety. My Citadel has been flawless since day one and still so after about 300 rounds downrange. The trigger is nice and the gun's accuracy is acceptable.

I'd also suggest you consider an American Classic. Like the Armscor guns, AC's are made in the Philippines. I have an AC Commander that I'm very happy w/. It's had about 400 rounds through it and has been utterly reliable. The Commander has the same upgrades as the Citadel. To me, the main advantage of the AC compared to the Armscor guns is the finish. While the AC has a nicely blued finish, the Armscor guns hav a Parkerized finish. I know many like a Parkerized finish, but I've yet to warm up to it. I knew when I bought the Citadel that it had a Parkerized finish(and would still buy it again), but I still like the blued finish better. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either gun again. American Classic also makes an Officer's model called the Amigo.

I've been satisfied w/ both my 1911's. Both have an active role in my cc rotation. Yeah, they're heavier than are plastic guns, but w/ the right gun belt and holster, it's certainly not unmanageable.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Check out the Springfield 1911's. Well made, and prices range from about your budget, to far over that. They've been around forever, and I believe include a lifetime warranty
    Absolutely and without question, Springfield does deserve some consideration. I have a 1911-A1 in stainless and the only way it is leaving is if I get enough out of it to buy another just like it.

Regards!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I've had 3 Colt's, 2 RIA's, and 1 Metro Arms Commander. I love my Colt's. Can't beat the heritage. The RIA's ran flawlessly out of the box. Amazing for such a low priced 1911. However, of them all....the Metro Arms American Classic Commander has them all beat. For $500, I got a Colt-like finish (hard chrome), RIA reliability, and a plethora of included upgrades: Novak sights, lowered/flared ejection port, polished feed ramp, throated barrel, extended slide stop, extended thumb safety, beavertail grip safety, skeleton hammer, skeleton trigger, and did I mention the finish? Very nice! Amazing price for this weapon. I even threw a Colt wrap-around grip on it for good measure. Not bashing Colt or RIA. I'm a Colt guy and a RIA guy. They make great handguns....but for the price, you can't beat the Classic Commander. Of course, you could find a used Colt or Springfield at possibly $600 which would be fine, too.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links