Looking for my first 1911 .45 for CC: what's the best value/best quality out there?

Looking for my first 1911 .45 for CC: what's the best value/best quality out there?

This is a discussion on Looking for my first 1911 .45 for CC: what's the best value/best quality out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally ready to take the plunge into the .45 waters...and I don't have any floaties! I briefly owned a Star PD back in the day, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for my first 1911 .45 for CC: what's the best value/best quality out there?

Finally ready to take the plunge into the .45 waters...and I don't have any floaties!

I briefly owned a Star PD back in the day, but the lack of a grip safety made me nervous about condition one carry. Cocked and locked, with a discharge only a flick of a safety away made me a little shaky about my choice, so I sold it and went Glock.

I know that I want a grip safety, and I know I want an "Officer's" or compact sized pistol. I also do not want a polymer gun. (I already have a Glock, and am moving more towards the steelies... call me old-school.

The problem I am having is selecting a pistol that will be stone-cold reliable right out of the box. I don't want to have it "tuned", nor do I want to turn it into a race gun. I am not really interested in swapping in and out parts and pieces, skeletonizing parts, etc.

I am wanting the best value out there, that will be worthy of a self-defense gun. But from who? I have heard of Colt, Kimber, Para Ordnance, Star, RIA, Citadel, and know there are many others.

Based on what you know, please offer me some guidance! I'd prefer to keep my spend under $600, and used is not a problem for me, as long as I am getting a dependable, quality weapon.

Considering your budget, you wont find a better pistol that a Rock Island. Solid shooters and well built, you can't go wrong. I will go with the Match 5 if they have it in stock.

Armscor
    pir8fan and BugDude like this.

Absolutely...Rock Island Armory. I don't own one but have never heard anything but good things about them.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Check out the Springfield 1911's. Well made, and prices range from about your budget, to far over that. They've been around forever, and I believe include a lifetime warranty
    Diddle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Check out the Springfield 1911's. Well made, and prices range from about your budget, to far over that. They've been around forever, and I believe include a lifetime warranty
    That is another great option Indeed! I own both and they are both great.

Go with a Springfield RO is close to your price range sweet gun

If it was me, I'd save up a little and get a Colt, but there are some other good options. RIA has a good rep for a budget gun, but the Springfield might be the best bang-for-the-buck, and not too far off your $600 budget.

Shop around and check out a S&W, Sig, or Ruger, too. I don't think Kimber is an option on a tight budget. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'll have to vote Rock Island if you want to be well under that $600. Never heard a bad word about them other than people not liking the fact that they're imported, or 'not a Colt/Springfield/whatever'.

I was looking into getting a Rock Island myself, then tuning it up to be more in line with my wants. But, I had a tuned Springfield practically fall into my lap for the same price as a stock RIA. Every one I looked at had a great trigger out of the box, and everything felt... right? It wasn't super tight, but it wasn't loose enough that I thought it would rattle apart at the range. All the springs were great, the slide felt smooth but firm, and the trigger broke like glass. (Can't say the same for the stock Taurus 1911s or many of the Kimbers either)

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up/carry a stock RIA. Excellent value, and good looking too. Search around the site, and you'll probably find some great threads on the Rock Islands that can help you decide something.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Try one of these...Rock Island Tac and Compact. Both are great reliable shooters,Accurate and have a Lifetime Warranty. Either for under $500. Can`t go wrong!!!.

I bought a metro arms american classic and It hasn't given me a single problem over the years. However nowadays you can get a RIA for $100 more so I'd go with that plus RIAs are more available.

Sent from tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I Know guys that have Rock Island 1911's & love 'em but I would have to recomend the real deal the Colt 1911!
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

The Springfield Ranger Officer is a good deal as others have mentioned and it comes with SA customer service which IMO is excellent. Can not speak for RI.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

The Springfield Range Officer is really good. Run 1000 hard ball rounds thru it before using it for a CCW weapon and make sure it hits point of shoot with the factory sights. Then you are good to go!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Springfield Armory is the most bang for your buck, But I would get a Colt.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

One more thing I'd like to mention, is are you sure you really want to carry a 1911? I love them, but dang they are big and heavy. You can still carry the same awesome .45 ACP round, but in a much smaller, thinner, and lighter gun if you get the new Springfield XDs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links