HK

This is a discussion on HK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I know that just about everyone on this forum know a lot and have a lot of opinions on guns. I was talking to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK

HK

So I know that just about everyone on this forum know a lot and have a lot of opinions on guns. I was talking to a friend of mine that bought a HK P2000. He lives by his HK and said that it was the best gun that he has beat up so far. Now I am talking going to the range 3,4 even 5 times a week and is in shooting comps just about every weekend. (he is the one that got me into the gun world....Thanks) I think he was a big 1911 guy and since he bought the HK that is all he talks about. Don't get me wrong he has 2 safes full of guns but I just want to know how other people feel about HK's?

I would like to know what type of customer support probs you had?

How do you like shooting it?

Would you buy another one?

Just gathering some info because I am thinking about buying one. Thanks a lot for your help and info.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I have the USP .40 Compact. I love it. I would ABSOLUTELY buy another - and I probably will. I did have problems with it failing to feed, but I chased it to a combination problem of using WWB ammo in 12-round mags.

I carry this thing everywhere and it's a dream to shoot. Most of my buddies who have shot it, really want one.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Lead Moderator
    HK USP F. Early production gun. No problems with it or HK. The factory installed a RH side safety for me soon after I bought it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I can understand your friend's feelings

In order to appreciate the H&K USP (or P2000) handguns you have to field strip one and look at it very closely, comparing it to other handguns. And you also have to use one for awhile, shooting a good number of rounds through it.

When you field strip the guns and examine the parts, you will be impressed with the sturdy design, rugged parts, careful machining and quality of materials used. The guns are "built like a tank". It is clear that the manufacturer really put some time and money into them, and engineered good safety factors into every part.

Then when you shoot one for awhile, you start to see how reliable and accurate they are. I have two USPs, in .40 and .45 calibers, and they have been absolutely perfect in function, through thousands of rounds. There are other good brands of handguns, and I have most of them - but the H&Ks are really special.

I have a USP 40 S&W Compact, P9S in 9mm and 45ACP, and a few of the P7 series guns. They shoot and carry well. No problems with any HK I own.
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I have had a usp compact .45 for about a month now and love it. I also have a 1911 and like that too. I use the 1911 for target and just shooting the crap out of it. The hk is going to be a defense gun/carry gun due to is decent size and weight. My hk was way more accuarate out of the box campared to my SA 1911. I have since done a little tuning to the 1911 to improve greatly. I noticed the trigger takes a little getting used to on the hk as its a DA/SA. I am a fan of SA and Im still trying to get used to the "free travel/slack" you have to take up before the trigger break. Its a fairly short and smooth pull and is far better than say a ruger DA/SA. Another nice thing is you can change the varents around to suit your shooting style and perferance. I have yet to have and dont expect to have a feed or ejection issues. I have tryed and shot all the differnt brands of ammo(including ball rounds,hyrdashocks,holow points) I can get my hands on and its fed each and every round. Its not picky on what you feed it compared to some 1911s.

I have heard some complants on service directly from HK but I doubt you will even have an issue with the gun and even if you do HK is the last resort for the most part. Find a local hk dealer to service it if the need ever arises.

You will be happy with it Im sure.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    The HK is handsdown one of the best weapons I have ever owned. I have a USPc in .40. For me it is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever picked up. I find it easy to conceal and it is very reliable. As rockbronco said, the only downside I have ever heard with the HK's is if you have to deal with HK directly. Other than that they are rocksolid IMHO.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

My wife has a USP compact 9mm. It is a very nice shooter, with over 2K rounds through it, no problems.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I have a usp fullsize one of the first guns i bougt to carry and i did for awhile they are good guns but i still prefer a 1911 to carry

I have a full-size HK USP 45 and I love it. Never had any failures and I have used it a lot. No signs of wear either. I use to carry it all the time but it is now my nightly home defense gun with a P105 surefire. I will purchase another HK probably a compact.

VIP Member
    HK makes great (albeit overpriced in my humble opinion) guns....I own a full-sized USP .45 ACP (variant 1), P9S Combat 9mm (my second one), and a P7 Euro, a.k.a. "PSP."
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

HK .45 Fullsized here also.

One of the only guns that I've taken out of the box and looked like I've been shooting for years (accuracy is amazing).

Only double stack that feels good in my hand, and 12 rounds of .45 is nothing to sneeze at

Wayne

I just finished breaking in my new H&K P2000 9MM with the LEM trigger and tritium sights. This is my new carry gun. I ran 525 of various brands of FMJ and 100 rounds each of HydroShock and Gold Dot JHP. It shot flawlessly. I tried to make it fail by shooting it sideways, upside down and allowing myself to limpwrist. It refused to fail. The accuracy was excellent from 3 to 25yds. I like the light double action trigger. It's smooth and the recoil is good. When loaded, it's very balanced. It's easy to breakdown and clean. The interchangable backstrap is a nice feature so you can fit the P2000 to your hand perfectly. I use the small one. I purchased an Alessi CQCS holster for it. I'm looking forward to more training and practice with it.

VIP Member
    Kelsey....nice choice in guns and leather! I applaud you!

Coincidentally enough, I was going to the range today to exercise the USP....didn't go, but here I be, typing this message with the USP strapped to my side in a Comp-Tac C-TAC IWB holster....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

P2000 40S&W LEM trigger

I have thousands of rounds through this. No problems whatsoever. Shoots sweet and cannot make it jam (offhand, limpwristing, shoot upside down, sideways, etc. ...)

External "bobbed" hammer to aid in saf re-holstering. I keep my thumb over the hammer while reholstering.

2nd strike capability. No need to re-rack the slide.

Totally ambidexterous (SP?) both mag release and slide release.

Comp-tac holster. Also, I have Mark Garrity's In-Cognito Deluxe for it. http://www.garritysgunleather.com/
    Wearing the In-Cognito deluxe, it is sooo comfortable.

Solid gun, easy manual of arms, ambi-friendly. Only "downside" is the initial purchase cost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links