Taurus 605 Polymer Protector .357?????

This is a discussion on Taurus 605 Polymer Protector .357????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any thoughts or experiences?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Taurus 605 Polymer Protector .357?????

Taurus 605 Polymer Protector .357?????

Any thoughts or experiences?

2. Remove Ads

Never had the pleasure of shooting the taurus, but would steer you to a smith or a ruger instead....based on reliability...
    40Bob likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I have an all steel 605 that is my EDC and has given me 0 problems over the 7 years that I have owned it. I don't like lightweight .357's becasue they make follow-up shots to difficult
    atctimmy likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Have an LCR now. Great gun, I don't like the grip on it, not being able to out my pinky anywhere.

Based on my bad experience with said gunmaker. IMO Taurus + polymer + .357 = disaster.
    atctimmy and sebring like this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Recently read a magazine review of the Protector by Massad Ayoob. I was not impressed w/ the gun, based on the review. What I remember:
    Double action trigger pull was so heavy it couldn't be measured by the trigger pull gauge.
    Accuracy was sub par, even for a snubbie.
    The high viz plastic front sight and trough rear sight didn't match well, elevation wise; when aiming w/ the high viz front sight, everything hit very high.

The only revolver I've seen with a poorly fitted side plate was a Taurus. Taurus QC has always seemed hit and miss. I would only but a Taurus if I could try it out before buying. I have a Ruger LCR 357 that I am so impressed with that I have given it to my mother for home defense use.

People please, I'm begging you! DO NOT buy any Taurus product! Getting the one in a thousand that is problem-free is just not worth it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    People please, I'm begging you! DO NOT buy any Taurus product! Getting the one in a thousand that is problem-free is just not worth it.

I own 3 Taurus pistols 2 autos and one revlover and I have had 0 problems with them. My PT92 has been used for IDPA matches, training classes and countless range sessions and the only problems that it ever had was casued by worn out mag springs
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I have had a Taurus 605 stainless for about 9 years now. It has never given me any reason to bash Taurus. It is a very nice revolver.

Now with that said, I'm not a big fan of the polymer .357s made by the big boys, let alone Taurus. The all steel .357 I own hurts to shoot with the full power loads. I would not want to try shooting a lightweight 357.

Now lets add in Taurus's reputation for less than top notch materials and you have a gun that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I could see these things cracking apart and wearing out in just a few short years.

If the Taurus Protector is any ware as nice as the Ruger LCR357 you would be O.K. I have had many miles of smiles with the LCR357.

I own the Taurus Poly Protector .38

Can't speak to the 357 but I run +p .38 and it is a great gun. Pretty accurate and light.

They have one at Academy and it is about $100 cheaper than a LCR. Academy won't let you pull the trigger so I never did. Taurus seems to be more hit or miss then other big mfgs and their customer service is legendary and not for good reasons. Really like the Ruger LCR in 357.

It wasn't all that long ago that Ruger was being bashed for making lesser expensive products. People thought that less expensive meant lower quality. Ruger has proven itself as far as the quality of their products and their manufacturing process. In my book, Taurus still has some work to do in this regard. My wife does have a Taurus model 82 that I bought for her a few years ago for home protection when I'm not there. She loves it. I have shot it several times and I really like it. It has a very nice trigger for a DA revolver, and it shoots right to point of aim with most ammunition. But I fear we may have just gotten lucky with that one. I'm content to wait and see if and when they consistently put out top quality products. However I would hope that once they achieve such a level of consistent quality, people will feel comfortable with them and will stop bashing them.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    Drama Major? I'll wait with bated breath for your reply knowing you'll have some kind of epic B.S. about Taurus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links