need help deciding first ccw

This is a discussion on need help deciding first ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just took my chl class and am am shopping already. I'm short and thin at 5'8 and 165lbs and I don't want to buy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: need help deciding first ccw

New Member Array Richwashbourne's Avatar

I just took my chl class and am am shopping already.

I'm short and thin at 5'8 and 165lbs and I don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe (ie oversized pants).

I live in Texas and wear shorts and t shirts most of the time.

I'm thinking about getting a s&w bodyguard .380 because I really don't mind carrying .380 and its pocket carryable (my preference). I am also thinking about a Kahr cw9 because I've shot it and liked it and its slim enough to carry iwb (but I'm worried about it printing)

Should I get one or the other or both? Or is there something else between that I should look at.

My initial thoughts are to get both (BG for pocket summer carry and Kahr for winter carry) but I don't want to buy both and end up settling one because I don't use it.

sgb
    Just buy yourself a S&W 642 and a good pocket holster.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Welcome! If you can find a range visit it and ask the other shooters what they have. Most will let you fire a few shots. This will allow you to try different guns before you purchase.

Let us know what you decide.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^

this right here, or an ruger LCR best pocket gun(s) they make. You guys have winter in TX????

So, you want to pocket carry exclusively? That limits your choices considerably to small, single stack pistols (primarily 380's and 9mm's) or pocket revolvers (38spl+p). If you can carry inside your waistband, that would allow you to expand your carry universe considerably. Like most shooters, I'm pretty opinionated regarding what works and what does not work.....at least for me. I pretty much gave up on trying to find a pocket pistol to carry. Many are not reliable and most are not fun to shoot. Why would "being fun to shoot" be important? Well, if you don't like shooting the firearm, you will not practice. If you don't practice, you will not become proficient in the use of the firearm. Small, pocket guns require quite a lot of practice to master them. They are not the easiest to shoot quickly and accurately.

For me, I completely gave up on pocket pistols and went with a revolver. I shot many and to me the most comfortable and accurate for me was a Ruger LCR in 38+p. It conceals easily in the pocket of most slacks.....not so well in jeans. Excellent trigger, light weight and good sights. You may want to rent one at your local range and give it a go. I also have a Smith and Wesson 642, but to me it is not nearly as easy to shoot as the Ruger. If you can step up to a slightly larger handgun for inside waistband carry.....you can easily find tuckable holsters.....try a Glock 26. Again, it's light for a double stack pistol (20oz), has high capacity (10+1 with flush magazine), very reliable, easy to maintain and just about as small as I would personally go a small pistol.

Final bit of advice. I know you want to buy that first handgun, but I'd recommend you wait a bit until you've had the chance to rent some at your local range. I would never purchase a handgun without shooting it first. Good luck in your search......

For me a small auto like you describe is my primary. For me it is Kel tec p3at ( the Ruger lcp is the same thing). I suggest whatever small 380 you like that is reliable, plus a bigger weapon for times when your clothing permits it.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I have the Kahr CW9 and like it alot. I do sometimes pocket carry the Kahr but it is just a touch too big. For pocket carry, I have the Ruger LC9 and I think its a perfect pocket carry. I prefer to stay with the 9mm and the Ruger fits the need. I would also look at the Kahr PM9 or CM9 depending on funds available.

First I live in Texas, so I know about the weather. Second, I have been carrying for more years than I like to remember and I carry full time. So you need to ask yourself do you really intend to carry full time or will you be one of those that only carry when they think they will need it? If you are the latter I really don't have any advice, because if I knew when and where I would need my gun I wouldn't be there in the first place.

There are a lot of guns that are suitable for holster carry, but holster carry is hot, uncomfortable and not suited for all types of dress. If you intend to carry full time then you need a handgun that is small (can be carried in a pocket), reliable and accurate. There are a lot of handguns that are small, many of these are reliable, but when you throw in the accuracy, the list gets very short. To me accuracy is is the ability to empty a magazine into a 6 inch target at 10 yards (30 feet). If you try the S&W, Diamondback or Ruger you will find it is very difficult to do this due to the poor triggers. I personally carry a Sig p-238 because it meets my needs.

either the Kahr CW9 or CM9. If you think that pocket carry will be your main mode of carry, then the CM9 should be the choice.

I don't recommend anything less than a 9mm for defensive purposes, so I personally would pass on the .380. JMO.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Desert Eagle in .50AE. Cause everything is bigger in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    This. ^

I'm 5' 8" and 143 pounds, and that is my EDC in Summer (and really, most of the year as well). I carry it in an Uncle Mike's #3 (which cost a whopping 10 bucks), and it works great.

You can get a brand new no-lock 642 for about $365 if you look around.

If I want to carry something a bit smaller, I carry my Ruger LCP in a pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Desert Eagle in .50AE. Cause everything is bigger in Texas.
    Just get a good pocket holster, and you're good to go!

New Member Array Richwashbourne's Avatar
    Good advice, thanks. I want a snub nose at some point, but not right now. I don't want to carry condition 1 (I have my reasons and I hope that you can all respect them instead of starting another flame war ;-))
    I guess I'm just not sure which to buy first, but it will probably be the kahr... or the bodyguard... or the kahr

I bought an LCP for pocket carry, a few years ago.

I found it unreliable, and difficult to manipulate during malfunctions.

I fixed it with a S&W 442.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yup................S&W "J" Frame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links