New G19 purchase.....What to do with S&W model 60??

This is a discussion on New G19 purchase.....What to do with S&W model 60?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally purchased a Gen 4 G19 about a week ago. The gun is a factory reconditioned, and took it out the door for $517, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New G19 purchase.....What to do with S&W model 60??

New G19 purchase.....What to do with S&W model 60??

I finally purchased a Gen 4 G19 about a week ago. The gun is a factory reconditioned, and took it out the door for $517, three mags, in the box. That seemed like a pretty good price, the gun didnt even have a scratch.

The next day I was able to put 150 rounds of Federal FMJ through it with no problems, and 20 rounds of Corbon 100 gr powr ball with no trouble. I was amazed at how nicely the gun shot.

I also took my S&W model 60 .357, with a 2-1/8" Mag-N-A Port barrel. Shooting that gun is a violent experience. I managed to run 50 rounds of .38 spl through it, and the .38's still seemed more than a handful to handle. My only other pistol is a Colt Combat Commander, and it's a dream to shoot as long as you feed it FMJ. At the end of the 50 rounds of the .38's, i was able to shoot it decently in single action, but the muzzle flash was overpowering and caused me to flinch, and not shoot very well. I had only shot this with .357 ammo prior to this trip and have owned the gun for 12 years.

Do you think that the difference from shooting the G19 and going to a revolver with .38's is the problem? Should I take the .38/.357 back to the range and get more familiar with it? Or should I look at letting Something else more enjoyable to shoot? I notice that alot of you all recommend the J framed revolvers, so just curious. Shooting the G19 is kind of like driving a sports car, and then shooting the J frame is like driving my 2500 HD truck.....

I have ordered a White Hat holster for the G19 and a spare kydex for the commander as I would like to be able to carry both.

Any help would be great!

2. Remove Ads

Keep the wheelie. There are ALWAYS occasions when a j-frame S&W is the best of all carry compromises.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Well, I have always thought that guns were meant to be bought and not sold, so I like your advice. But I wish i could get a picture of the muzzle flash for you to see!

VIP Member
    Keep the 60, put some good grips on it (if you haven't already) and shoot Detail Page for Part # 23921 through it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Its got a good set of "rubber" type grips, that are very comfortable. I will look into the ammo you suggested. I assume this will be one that will not be a plinker....;-)

I have a Gen 4 G 19. Great gun! I agree with Ghost and Gunny, keep the S&W.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Its got a good set of "rubber" type grips, that are very comfortable. I will look into the ammo you suggested. I assume this will be one that will not be a plinker....;-)

Ditch the M60

I have to differ. Although the M60 has a place, how often are you really going to use it now that you have discovered the Glock? Unless your really need a safe queen, I would take it to the next gun show with a for sale sign. I would then use the money and buy a Glock 36, which is a single stack 45 ACP with the same feel as your G19. You will shoot this gun more often and love it. If not buy a good 22 target pistol and practice your skills with cheap ammo. Practice on getting proficient with the guns you have and the guns that are fun to shoot. Having a bunch of different caliber guns that you don't like to shoot is a waste of money and space unless you are a bonafide collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I have to differ. Although the M60 has a place, how often are you really going to use it now that you have discovered the Glock?
    Geez, don't jump to conclusions. I 'discovered' Glock years ago and one of my favorite carry guns ever is my nickel S&W Model 13 .357 Magnum. Yes, I carry my Glock 19 sometimes too.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    If not buy a good 22 target pistol and practice your skills with cheap ammo. Practice on getting proficient with the guns you have and the guns that are fun to shoot. Having a bunch of different caliber guns that you don't like to shoot is a waste of money and space unless you are a bonafide collector.
    +1. I love my .22. Cheap and fun allowing me to sharpen my sighting in on target skills.

Forget what everyone has told you, your Glock 19 is all you need.

I will take the 60 off your hands and give it a good loving home free of charge.

Seriously though, two of the best guns made in my opinion. Keep'em both and work on finding ammo you like out of the 60 (or send it to me).

Trade that 60 for one without the magnaporting. Keep the new to you 60 as a second gun, or a dressing light gun.

Retire the wheel gun to the safe. Once you start to carry the G19 you'll realize that in many ways it is the perfect carry gun.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Keep the model 60, but I would stick to .38 special loads. Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to shoot magnum loads out of a snubbie. Too much muzzle blast and recoil, and nit enough in return, IMHO.

For self defense, the Speer Gold Dot .38 special +P 135 grain short barrel load is good, or if you handload and are inclined to carry handloads, load a hard cast SWC to 750 fps or thereabouts.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger45 View Post
    ...the G19...in many ways...the perfect carry gun.
    No argument here. Have had one for years as my primary CCW. (CT Laser, Ghost Rocket Transfer Bar, Hi-Viz green/red sights, tuned & tweaked). But STILL believe a j-frame wheel gun is sometimes "just as perfect". FYI, I don't believe in Safe Queens or Trailer Queens. I DRIVE my '74 Porsche to Car Shows.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links