USP Compact Safety?

This is a discussion on USP Compact Safety? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've finally decided on getting an H&K USP Compact 40. The problem I have is with the safetys. Who carrys one without a safety and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USP Compact Safety?

USP Compact Safety?

I've finally decided on getting an H&K USP Compact 40. The problem I have is with the safetys. Who carrys one without a safety and who carrys one with a safety? I trust myself to be safe without a safety but then again, I'm worried about that 1 in a million chance, something may catch the trigger in the holster and fire.

If I do get a safety, how easily is it to draw and fire (with the safety on at the start) compared to the one without the safety? Any opinions greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I don't use the safety

I have a USP 40 compact and carry it with a chambered round and safety off, in a holster covering the trigger. So I use the decocker function of the safety lever to chamber the round and lower the hammer.

The first DA trigger pull of the gun is about 10 pounds, and it is a long pull, very much like a Sig P229. So I rely upon that long first trigger pull to prevent any accidents.

VIP Member
    Great choice!..

I carry a USP compact .40. I purchased the Variant 1 configuration (de-cocker and 1911 style safety), but I have never carried it cocked & locked...I've always used the de-cocker and carried it hammer down on a loaded chamber in the double action mode. In retrospect, I probably should have just picked up a Variant 3 (de-cocker only). At some point, I may convert mine to Variant 3 as it's fairly easy to do.

As long as your holster covers the trigger guard (and it should!), the chance of an accidental discharge is pretty slim.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    I carry a USP f , with the safety. The safety is easy to thumb off in a hurry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I think the great thing about getting the USPc with the safety is that it allows you to carry "cocked and locked" if you so desire. If not, you can carry with a round chambered with the hammer down. Most holsters cover the trigger guard and you shouldn't have any problem with an AD. Plus as pogo2 says it is a pretty long first trigger pull for DA.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

start variant 1 and grow from there.

i carry a Fullsize when i carry it and usually carry cocked and locked just a small push like on a 1911 to take safety off

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    I have a compact .40 with the LEM mod on it and i have no problems carrying it... My dad has the same pistol i do and he has never had a problem with his either... I believe that the LEM mod has around an 8lbs trigger pull so it would be hard to accidently apply that much pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    i carry a Fullsize when i carry it and usually carry cocked and locked just a small push like on a 1911 to take safety off
    Ditto.

VIP Member
    I carry my variant one USP .45 ACP with the safety engaged on DA mode.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Well, in any configuration, you have a safety. My preference was the 1911 configuration- I found it too easy to get reeeeally close, or actually decock, working it quickly with the Safe-Fire-Decock mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    My preference was the 1911 configuration- I found it too easy to get reeeeally close, or actually decock, working it quickly with the Safe-Fire-Decock mode.
    I plan to switch my Var. 1 to a Var. 9. That way I can really ride the top of that safety hard without worrying about an accidental de-cock. I never use the de-cock function anyway.

New Member Array BiggerIsBetter's Avatar
    I have the 45 Compact. gets carried with a round chambered and decocked with no safety on. Basically like a revoler on the first shot in that confirguration. I feel completely safe.

Variant one, locked with hammer down. You can't beat that feeling with that baby on your hip

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I carry my USPc cocked and locked. It is my primary carry in a K&D Cochise Defender. The good thing about the USP in V1 is that it is designed for C&L carry. I feel safe with this arrangement and have the benefit of constant single action trigger pull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links