I just don't believe Kimber CS can be beat - maybe matched but not beat...

This is a discussion on I just don't believe Kimber CS can be beat - maybe matched but not beat... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, a refresher of one experience I've previously posted: I have a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD that was shooting low or high - don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I just don't believe Kimber CS can be beat - maybe matched but not beat...

Senior Moderator

First, a refresher of one experience I've previously posted: I have a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD that was shooting low or high - don't remember which now. I called Kimber and before I could blink, they had a UPS shipping label on the way to me via email. I shipped it, they fixed it, end of story except to say it didn't cost me a dime!

Similar thing with Sig, and I'm not knocking Sig CS, just telling it like it is. I called Sig CS and they said send them the slide, barrel, and recoil spring and they would adjust the sights.

At the 1400 round mark or so, I noticed out of the last 150 rounds, my aluminum framed Tactical Pro ejected two cases that hit me in the head. It was almost a random thing, i.e. the two incidents were widely separated.

A small thing maybe, but I call Kimber. Their response - send it to us and we'll check it out. I didn't have the particulars when I called, but I fully expect they will send me a UPS shipping label as before and it won't cost me a dime.

Of course it would be nice if the problem didn't occur in the first place, but it's sure good to know if you do have a problem, you have that kind of support!

If by chance they won't pay for shipping I will post that just for complete and thorough disclosure.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I don't know why guys knock Kimber. All mine have run just fine. And as a result, I've never had to test their CS. Mine have all been 5" models.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I don't know why guys knock Kimber. All mine have run just fine. And as a result, I've never had to test their CS. Mine have all been 5" models.
    Might be the price.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post

Not all of us have been that fortunate.

I'm really glad to hear things have gotten better with Kimber, I don't think I'll ever buy another, but it's good news for those that will / do purchase from them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    Might be the price.
    I hear that a lot, but I haven't seen that Kimber is anymore expensive than similar models of other brands. The SA TRP for example goes for $1400 with a cast extractor; a Kimber TLE/RL with a tool steel extractor goes for about $1100, a Tactical Entry w/rail, ambi safety, tool steel extractor, and mag chute about $1200, a Super Carry Custom HD w/tool steel extractor about $1400, a Desert Warrior, kimpro II finish with rail and tool steel extractor, $1300.

Good to hear the change about Kimber. I've been around on gun forums for close to 10 years. Once upon a time, the stories were not kind to Kimber... (of stuff people went thru to get a gun fixed)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Good to hear the change about Kimber. I've been around on gun forums for close to 10 years. Once upon a time, the stories were not kind to Kimber... (of stuff people went thru to get a gun fixed)
    There may have been some transient difficulties that have long since disappeared.

The interesting phenomenon about Kimber is that people still believe Kimber is the same as they were during that transient period. And, no doubt Kimber has had some issues just like every other manufacturer has. The difference is, people forget the other manufacturers issues and remember the Kimber issues forever.

An example is the Glock gen 4s. Kimber problems pale in comparison to the problems the gen 4s produced. Yet today, the Glock problems have been solved and pretty much forgotten. Not so with Kimber. Any problems Kimber had are still talked about to this day as if it's still the same. Just kind of strange.

I've read in several different places that when Kimber was run by the guy who is now at Sig USA, CS was not so good. But now that he's gone, things are much better?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    I've heard that too varob; I've wondered if he was part of the problem. He's at Sig now and Sig is having some problems. Does make you wonder.

I don't see how things could get much better at Kimber and their CS does a heck of a job to taking care of customers.

I'm thrilled to see all American founded, controlled, operated, made in America, businesses do well.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

An example is the Glock gen 4s. Kimber problems pale in comparison to the problems the gen 4s produced. Yet today, the Glock problems have been solved and pretty much forgotten. Not so with Kimber. Any problems Kimber had are still talked about to this day as if it's still the same. Just kind of strange.
    Having been "victim" to both, I would have to disagree.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    There may have been some transient difficulties that have long since disappeared.

The interesting phenomenon about Kimber is that people still believe Kimber is the same as they were during that transient period. And, no doubt Kimber has had some issues just like every other manufacturer has. The difference is, people forget the other manufacturers issues and remember the Kimber issues forever.

I base my opinions on my experiences, not on what I have heard. Based on my experience with my former edc Kimber Ultra-Carry II, it is now relegated to the gun safe or class room, while my Gen4 Glock occupies that space on my belt vacated by the aforementioned Kimber.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Never have had any issues with my Kimbers, but it's good to know they are dealing with problems so well now, should the need arise.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I base my opinions on my experiences, not on what I have heard. Based on my experience with my former edc Kimber Ultra-Carry II, it is now relegated to the gun safe or class room, while my Gen4 Glock occupies that space on my belt vacated by the aforementioned Kimber.
    How about that, I'm just the opposite - I have three G17 gen 4s in the safe and now carry one of my 6 Kimbers.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Having been "victim" to both, I would have to disagree.
    That's kind of what I'm talking about. How long ago was it that you had a problem with your Kimber and Kimber CS?

How long ago was it that you had a problem with your gen 4 g19?

The magnitude of the Kimber issue that you suggest, being worse than the magnitude of issues with gen 4s, seems to be an exception rather than the rule. And, Kimber isn't there anymore, neither in QC or CS.

Kimber sells more 1911s than any other manufacturer - it's not even close - 85,000 last year IIRC. You don't built that kind of dominance on first time buyers, poor customer service, and poor quality guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links