Need help to ID Colt Combat Commander options

This is a discussion on Need help to ID Colt Combat Commander options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have been a lifelong gun enthusiast, but have recently re-gained my affinity for firearms. About two weeks ago I broke a 12 year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help to ID Colt Combat Commander options

Hi,

I have been a lifelong gun enthusiast, but have recently re-gained my affinity for firearms. About two weeks ago I broke a 12 year hiatus from a purchasing anything new. I purchased a gen 4 G 19, that I have started carrying.

The Colt pictured below was my first pistol, and its a great gun. It feels great and is a pleasure to shoot. This gun was purchased +/- 20 years ago as is. I would like to try and guesstimate the age, would this be a 70 Series?

Is it a good or bad thing if its a 70 series?

It appears that the following items were not stock:
    - sights
    - extended beavertail
    - trigger (nice and crisp)
    - Pachmeyer grips

Any other obvious items?

How can I tell if the barrel or any internals were modified?

Thanks again for a great sight with knowledgeable members!....(notice that I said knowledgeable members and not great...)6DF33795-612F-4396-A223-4E09600CAD1E.jpgCBB96F66-4707-4AB6-B9AB-A3CEF18C67A9.jpgEECA508A-484E-4BA9-A46D-69FD054169FC.jpgFAACB922-D9A7-4D85-ABF4-8725AB39FB62.jpg

You can go to proofhouse.com and try to get a date when it was made.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    You can go to proofhouse.com and try to get a date when it was made.
    Yep. Here's the link:

Serial Number Data

Thanks for the site. It looks like a 1979 model.

From the proofhouse site, it appears that 1979 was the last year that the Combat Commander was made. Does anyone know the equivalent current model of Colt?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    It appears that the following items were not stock:
    - sights
    - extended beavertail
    - trigger (nice and crisp)
    - Pachmeyer grips

Any other obvious items?

How can I tell if the barrel or any internals were modified?
    You've pretty well covered the external changes, for internal you'd really need to show it to a Colt enthusiast. As for it being a Series 70, technically no, it isn't, but it is a pre-Series 80 (because it does not have the firing pin block). Colt did not make a Series 70 Commander, and you'll notice you never see them rollmarked as such. "Series 70" describes certain modifications first made to the standard Government Model and Gold Cup pistols only, never to the Commanders, or Combat Commanders. There are no Series 70 Commanders or Combat Commanders, regardless of the fact that, as an example, 70 is included in some of their serial numbers (the 70 serial number prefix originally meant that the pistol had been built in the decade of the 70s).

The Series 70 was actually a two part system; it was a collet bushing and the "Accurizor" barrel. Colt first used the collet bushing and the accurizor barrels on "commercial" Government Models built in early 1970 (serial number range 332500-C through 336169-C), they are known to collectors as the BB Transitionals. BB was struck under the serial number, representing the use of the new Barrel and Bushing. The actual pistols rollmarked "Mk IV/Series 70" were introduced in July of 1970.

This is a collet barrel bushing.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Thanks for the site. It looks like a 1979 model.

From the proofhouse site, it appears that 1979 was the last year that the Combat Commander was made. Does anyone know the equivalent current model of Colt?
    Combat Commanders continued on after 1979, you just can't find a good updated serial number list on the 'net.

Today Colt just calls them the Commander Model.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

It depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. From what I can see at Colt's Manufacturing LLC, your choices are the 1991 and the XSE. The 1991 is the plain jane version. The XSE is a little fancier in that it has a beavertail, better sights, 3-hole trigger, etc. Both have the series 80 trigger system.

A distributor called TALO has ordered several "limited editions" that Colt has been happy to make for them. Probably the most famous of these is the Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander, having been spec'd out by the gunwriter himself.

Series 70 is neither inherently good nor bad. It's a preference thing. Purists will tell you Series 70 is the way God told John Moses Browning to build the 1911, and that it's impossible to get a good trigger on a Series 80. I think gunsmithing has advanced to the point you can get a decent combat trigger in Series 80.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Herk

PS--Don't let OD* fool you with his humility. He's probably one of the smartest guys on the 'net when it comes to the 1911.
    Last edited by Herknav; August 30th, 2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Added the "PS."
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Interesting info. Thanks for the help. I am always impressed by the quick and knowledgeable people here.

OD, you seem pretty up on the Colt's. As you can tell it has some holster wear from the previous owner(s). With this and the add ons, would this be something that holds or increases in value, or would be less desirable? I am ask this as it makes me wonder if this should be put back in the safe, or on the hip.

Thanks,

OD*
    Interesting info. Thanks for the help. I am always impressed by the quick and knowledgeable people here.

OD, you seem pretty up on the Colt's. As you can tell it has some holster wear from the previous owner(s). With this and the add ons, would this be something that holds or increases in value, or would be less desirable? I am ask this as it makes me wonder if this should be put back in the safe, or on the hip.

Thanks,
    I guess it would depend on the buyer, but generally, those modifications will lessen the pistols value (especially to a Colt person). They won't hurt anything as a shooter though.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Series 70 is neither inherently good nor bad. It's a preference thing. Purists will tell you Series 70 is the way God told John Moses Browning to build the 1911, and that it's impossible to get a good trigger on a Series 80. I think gunsmithing has advanced to the point you can get a decent combat trigger in Series 80.
    Couldn't agree more, and I've had a bunch of both over the years.

Teddy Jacobson, one of the best 1911 trigger men in the country has stated in the past; "Any gunsmith that tells you you can't get a good trigger pull on a Series 80 is either a liar, or incompetent."

Thank you for the kind sentiments, undeserved, but appreciated none the less, amigo.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    My satin nickel CC is marked 70SC7XXXX. I would have prefered blue, but it was on sale. I always assumed it was a Series 70 but no split collet. Thanks for the info. In spite of neither being on California's DOJ approved list, my Sheriff allowed it for CC along with an LCP. It sure felt better to have IWB than the little pocket one when i was walking the streets of downtown Stockton yesterday on business. Had a few guys eyeballing me hard.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I guess it would depend on the buyer, but generally, those modifications will lessen the pistols value (especially to a Colt person). They won't hurt anything as a shooter though.
    I went with Pachys and an extended trigger, but keep them in the safe, although that won't be an issue as a sale won't happen while i am verticle.

Administrator
    Think seriously about switching out that grip safety. It sticks out like a sore thumb on your pistol. You might like it more with a flat mainspring housing also.

Not me, i have big hands.

Administrator
    At least grant me the fact that the Stainless??? Grip Safety looks terrible on that pistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Not me, i have big hands.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links