How Often, How Hard Do You Run Your EDCs?

This is a discussion on How Often, How Hard Do You Run Your EDCs? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious, since lots of opinions regarding adequacy, reliability, needs, etc get expressed about various makes and models of everyday carry pistols here. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How Often, How Hard Do You Run Your EDCs?

VIP Member

Just curious, since lots of opinions regarding adequacy, reliability, needs, etc get expressed about various makes and models of everyday carry pistols here. I have two Glocks I carry regularly, either both at the same time, or alternately depending on needs and attire. One, the other or both get fired at least three times each week, usually more.
    I purchased my Gen4 19 new a couple years ago, and have never had the first malfunction with it. Not one (except as described below). It has fired as many as 600 rounds in a day, ranging from single shot to multiple mag dumps, and has never hiccuped.

I purchased my third generation model 17 used, at a reasonable price. It came with three mags, and I experienced multiple failure-to-feeds the very first time I fired it. I immediately became suspicious of the magazine, so I ran it in my previously-proven 19. Same deal, multiple failure-to-feeds. I set that mag aside, ran the other two which performed flawlessly, and to this day have not experienced a malfunction with the pistol.

What have your expectations and demands been on the guns you rely on for your everyday carry?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I see this as two issues, the first to "break in" the weapon and the second how often you do/do not fire you EDC. As to the first issue I could care less if I get any issues in the first couple hundred rounds. However, if it continues past that and I am unable to isolate the problem (as you did above) the handgun is going back to the manufacturer and then sold (did this recently on an M&P 9 that was for the wife as a home defense pistol). As to the second issue I generally try to put about 150-200 rounds/week though some weeks I'm much better at making that happen than others (depends on work requirements and weather cooperation).

VIP Member
    'Interesting that you brought this up. I don't get to the range as often these days, so when I do, I pack a lunch and make a day of it.

The EDC's get run hard - much harder than when I could get to the range more frequently. As a result, I've phased one out of rotation that used to be a stronger performer that has recently had some problems with the slide locking back on empty.

My most heavily used EDC is a Gen3 G19, which has had unknown thousands of rounds through it. I have spare springs & barrel on hand, but it just keeps running like a swiss watch, so I just keep on cleaning and carrying it.

My expectation of an EDC is unquestioned reliability. Longer range sessions have thinned the herd a little.

About 100 rounds about once a month.
    bigmacque likes this.

I try to shoot my 17 and 23C Glocks every two weeks. More often when time permits.

My EDC gets 2 mags full each time I'm at the range. That's it.

Every week almost without exception I shoot 25 or 30 rounds each P-238 and .38 Airweight. Typically I go with my son-in-law and grandsons and they shoot about the same We take turns doing different senerios. Last Friday, it was shooting around an old couch both right and left handed into the terrorist zombie. The real world situation one may have is probably NOT going to be dumping round after round from a stationary position into a fixed target a 7 yards. Of course that type of shooting is good for testing your weapon but IMHO does little to make one think on their feet, or on the ground, or behind an old couch. We generally finish up with 10 or 20 rounds each from the Browning .22 shooting at shotgun shells or other small targets at about 20 yards or more. This is a nice way to finish up practice and build confidence. Then there are three guns at my house to clean and oil in preparation for that unknown possibility of a future encounter.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

"What have your expectations and demands been on the guns you rely on for your everyday carry?"

No failures, no matter what ammunition or how much of it is fired at a setting. Now, marathon round count accumulation without cleaning a handgun is just daft. Maintain the gun!

Over 500 in a day has been attained on occasion over the years. For my oldest favorite revolver 500+ has been hit on quite a few occasions in the past 37 years. This year about 400 was fired off in one setting when I got a new .45. Wasn't concerned with reliability or breaking it in but was having a good time shooting the pistol. Shot about 2/3 of a 550 round carton of .22 Long Rifle up late last week in a Smith & Wesson Model 17.

Realistically, unless one spreads out the shooting over the day, 500 rounds in one go in an afternoon's time is tiring, at least in my view. Even with a .22 I find myself prone to sloppy technique towards the end of extended shooting sessions.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I carry my Gen 4 19 a lot. And it takes a pounding at the range at least once a week. I need the practice, and like bmcgilvray, I shoot it because I love to shoot. It's not a break in or function check, it's a lot of fun. And I get better. So I'd say around 100 rounds a week. And they are not gentle. Doubles, triples, five at speed, hammering fresh mags in. I prefer to load a mag with 2-3 rounds and work on hot mag changes. The gun gets thumped.

Distinguished Member
    So far I have always tried to get to the range every week or every other. I try to always shoot my EDC atleast as carried, run it right out of the holster with my SD ammo and then run my extra mag as well.

Depending on the range trip, I might let that be it or run a 100 or more rounds through it. I try to make an effort to shoot my carry gun more than the others. But that gets tough when I take my kadet kit and can shoot hundreds of 22 rounds at a fraction of the cost. Plus I have had to admit that I'm not so in love with shooting my M&P compact, the compact grip is a little uncomfortable for me and my accuracy is not what it should be. But I just got a G23 with will get lots of abuse. I agree that I don't just shoot my EDC to get lots of rounds through, I do that because its fun and I want to be the most profecient with that trigger especially.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    This.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    No failures, no matter what ammunition or how much of it is fired at a setting. Now, marathon round count accumulation without cleaning a handgun is just daft. Maintain the gun!
    There's knowing, and there's assumption. With a life-saving tool, it's risky to rely upon assumption when it comes to reliability.

It's pretty simple, really. If a given firearm hasn't shown its ability to withstand less-than-ideal conditions, then it's only a guess as to whether it'll be able to do so when needed, whether: in the rain, dirty, after having been dropped in the dust/mud, having not been recently oiled, whatever.

Maintenance is one thing. Torture-testing is something else entirely. It has its place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    About the same for me. I'm favoring the HK45c to get more comfortable with it.

I fire mine every week, no reason not to practice with something that might save your life.

I took my P226/9mm through 2x one-week long Marine Corps Weapons Training Battalion courses and through another course through ITI...running about 300 rounds/DAY. Never had a problem running my P226 hard. It was a tack driver...

I've run my P229/.40 just as hard....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links