g30 or g36

g30 or g36

This is a discussion on g30 or g36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just wondering if anyone has experience with these 2 and which you prefer and why. ive never picked up either from my hand and on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: g30 or g36

g30 or g36

just wondering if anyone has experience with these 2 and which you prefer and why. ive never picked up either from my hand and on screen the look the same size. the g30 has a capacity of 10 where the 36 holds 6 so that gives the g30 a big advantage imo. is the g36 much smaller than the g30. thanks for any replies
    ruger91

NRA member

It's more about frame width than overall size between the two. Skinnier framed weapons are, all other things being equal, easier to conceal. Handguns are tools, pick the one you need for the job. If your needs change buy more tools.
    ruger91 likes this.

If you want a small gun, get the 36. The 30 isn't any easier to conceal than a bigger gun IMO. They both pinch the crap out of my palm during reloading, YMMV.

VIP Member
    I held them side by side, and decided that the minimal width was more than worth it for 4 additional rounds in the magazine. I also liked how the grip filled my paw.

There are also many qualified folks here that will tell you the exact opposite.

However, I LOVE the G30(SF).

thanks for the replies everyone.
    Napa NIck- do you mean when you put a magizine in it pinches your palm? that sounds pretty annoying, especially after a day at the range
    ruger91

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    For me personally.

I didn't feel that having to decide between getting the G30 vs a G36 was as big a deal as like having to pick between the G19 vs a G26 in size.

I got the G30. Besides with the G30 you have the option of using the standard 10 round, optional 9 and 13 round mags, and I think they make a + round mag extension for it too. But your stuck with only 6 round mags with the G36.

YMWV

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    But you're stuck with only 6 round mags with the G36.
    Nope, Plus 1 extensions are quite popular on G36 mags. The choice between G30 & G36 is more about hand size & finger length. For me, the G36 is comfortable. The G30 (even SF) feels more like a...brick with a trigger.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The G36 is nice, but in my hand it just didn't feel right, but I didn't shoot it. I went with the G30sf, fills my hand nicely, and points "just right". I just ordered a Grip Force Adapter today to try out, see if I like it.
    54f3c5f3adb742a7842fc5b3f26c3227_6a4c.jpg
    The Grip Force Adapter Kicks Butt! by Gomez-Training.com - YouTube(RIP - Paul Gomez)

A G19 with a Hogue Grip works well for me also, without the grip, it squirms a little.

Try them both.
    --Jason--

I have a G30 and am very happy with it. However between the two, if you're looking for ultimate concealability, go with the G36. Either way, you will be adequately equipped.

I have a 36 and enjoy it. Admittedly, it can pinch my pinkie but if I keep a firm grip it does not. I've very pleased with the 36. Good luck with your decision.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Or, you can do like I did, buy them both!
    mwhartman and WHEC724 like this.

I was issued and carried the G30 for 6 years and then the G36 for another 6 years in both plain clothes and covert carry duties. Carried them both on the job all over the world in all kinds of environments. Both are great guns. I preferred, and still do prefer, the G36 overall, but I would be absolutely confident in either one. The G36 was just more comfortable, especially on some 12-20 hour days.

If you are recoil sensitive, you will prefer the G30 as far as control and shoot-ability..

Round capacity is another argument altogether, and I have my own philosophy based on personal experience, therefore I don't like to delve into that aspect because no argument is winnable and no single philosophy fits everyone.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I've had both, and still have the G36, which I will never part with. I really wanted to love the 30 but I don't keep guns that I can't carry. Carrying the 30 for me was like carrying a cement block. I bought several good holsters and it still looked like a had grown a tumor on my side. The G36 is a great carry gun, and i feel ok with 6+1 rounds of 45 acp.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I sometimes carry a Glock 30 and while it is thicker, it still conceals easily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links