Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns - Page 2

Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns

This is a discussion on Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WHEC I dare say you won't get anyone saying they sell it without full disclosure even though it goes full auto from the first round ...

View Poll Results: You purchase a firearm that you have determined to be so defective that you do not tr

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Do you sell it and try to recoup your investment?

37 72.55%
  • * Keep it as an annoying range toy?

8 15.69%
  • * Do you pack it in cosmoline and wait for the apocalypse?

3 5.88%
  • * Do you have it destroyed and serial number unregistered?

3 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    WHEC I dare say you won't get anyone saying they sell it without full disclosure even though it goes full auto from the first round through the last. I'm sure they exist here, but won't subject themselves to the scrutiny of their peers.

I try to disclose everything possible about a gun sold. Round count, problems, etc. Thankfully, I've never owned a problematic firearm.

I also take gazillions of photos of the inside and out for potential buyers. If you have nothing to hide, show it I say.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    In a situation like this I'd sell it and try to recoup some of my money. That being said, I would not sell it to an individual. I'd take it to a gun store, knowing that they are going to give me bottom dollar for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If fully repaired by the maker I would not have a problem selling it. I would let them know what was repaired.

In my case when S&W replaced the striker assembly and said it was test fired and in good working order I did not question it. I simply chose not to keep the pistol and sold it. I have no reason to believe that it won't function as intended but I chose to get rid of it because it wasn't the best fit for my 5'1" wife *and* because I lost confidence in *that* weapon. I am overly obsessive on what I will accept and I'm ok with that.

I'd keep sending it to the manufacturer until it is perfect, and then keep it.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Sell it with full disclosure.

Distinguished Member
    If the dealer / manufacturer were not willing to take it back as a "lemon", I'd sell it "as-is" with full disclosure and require they buyer to sign a document stating they understand the condition of the firearm.
    I have no time or room for unreliable weapons.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

OD*
    I'd return it to the place of purchase/person, if I couldn't repair it or have it repaired to my satisfaction.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'd try to sell it and put the defect(s) in the ad.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've only had this happen once. I made several attempts to have it fixed, then I traded it in to a gun dealer, after full disclosure, on a more reliable model. It's just like buying a car that turns out to be a lemon. I've had more cars that fit this category than guns. The main reason I drive Honda's, which begs the question, why don't the Japanese make guns?

Surprised so many would sell it, but as Rock and Glock said, full disclosure is key. That I could do as well as keep it for a range "toy"
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    WHEC I dare say you won't get anyone saying they sell it without full disclosure even though it goes full auto from the first round through the last. I'm sure they exist here, but won't subject themselves to the scrutiny of their peers.

I try to disclose everything possible about a gun sold. Round count, problems, etc. Thankfully, I've never owned a problematic firearm.

I also take gazillions of photos of the inside and out for potential buyers. If you have nothing to hide, show it I say
    This is my feelings on it. While I have never sold a defective firearm I have sold other items that had defects. I made a point to tell the buyer about the problems and would tell them if I thought it was fixable or if it was just good for parts.
    I have bought defective firearms strictly as parts guns myself.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Situation:

You purchase a firearm that you have determined to be sufficiently defective that you do not trust it as an EDC (even if you've had it repaired by the manufacturer).

* Do you sell it and try to recoup your investment?

* Keep it as an annoying range toy?

* Do you pack it in cosmoline and wait for the apocalypse?

* Do you have it destroyed and serial number unregistered?

Or other (please elaborate)

Whec is just curious.
    Take it back to the store.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the responses folks, that was very interesting and some good suggestions came up as well. These are things that I think about when looking at a used firearm in the gun case.

I took a chance a couple years ago on a PM9 where the dealer fully disclosed to me that the prior owner complained about feed problems, but he (the dealer) didn't have any problems when he tested it. Knowing what I do about Khar, I took a chance and purchased it, never sling-shot the slide, and have never had a problem with it.

Now there are two lemons in my pile that I couldn't bring myself to sell even with full disclosure, knowing that it might end up in the hands of someone foolish enough to depend on them. I seriously thought about destroying them, but for now have just packed them away.

I have another that still is fun to shoot, but it doesn't maintain a reliability record to be in my carry rotation. It makes it out to the range every now and then.

Hence, I've managed to keep my junkers off the street. BTW, I'm not looking down my nose at anybody that does otherwise - as in the example of my PM9, one man's trash turned out to be my treasure.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Gun buy-back program?
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Gun buy-back program?
    If one were ever to come to town (highly unlikely in these parts), that thought crossed my mind!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links