Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns

This is a discussion on Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 If one were ever to come to town (highly unlikely in these parts), that thought crossed my mind! Drive to Detroit ...

View Poll Results: You purchase a firearm that you have determined to be so defective that you do not tr

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Do you sell it and try to recoup your investment?

37 72.55%
  • * Keep it as an annoying range toy?

8 15.69%
  • * Do you pack it in cosmoline and wait for the apocalypse?

3 5.88%
  • * Do you have it destroyed and serial number unregistered?

3 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    If one were ever to come to town (highly unlikely in these parts), that thought crossed my mind!
    Drive to Detroit or Chicago!

I'll bet you're wishing you just chucked it in the deepest part of Lake Marion by now.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    If a gun isn't working right for me and I have lost confidence in it, I have no problem selling it after the manufacturer has had a chance to look at it and fix it. I won't sell someone a gun that isn't working right, unless I advertise it that way from the start.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Sell to recoup investment, usually after it has been repaired or with the disclosure of the issues the gun is having or that it has had and were repaired and I always include documentation of repair work that was done. That way I have a clear conscience that they know everything I know about the gun and it's up to them to determine if it is reliable enough for them. But for me sufficiently defective means it has had any kind of issue that rendered it inoperable at one point, like a Bersa Thunder that I had, spring kept popping out of the trigger bar every other magazine and the trigger would do absolutely nothing at that point. Had it repaired by a Bersa gunsmith, never had another problem with it in 300 more rounds but I was past the point where I personally felt comfortable relying on it to protect me, so it went bye-bye, and the new owner got its life history from me along with a copy of the repair order from the gunsmith that fixed it.

I've only done it once but yes, I traded in my Kel Tec PF9 to recoup my losses on that POS.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I recently sold 3 guns I pretty much never shoot,there was a 4th gun a Keltec P11 that the polymer frame had a crack that ran from one side to the other thru the trigger hole,the gun was malfunctioning and after looking at it I noticed the crack.I told the guy this one has to go back for repairs,but when it gets back if you still want to buy it then it's yours
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would get it repaired and then trade it in toward something else, provided I was satisfied that the issue was cured.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links