Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns

This is a discussion on Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Situation: You purchase a firearm that you have determined to be sufficiently defective that you do not trust it as an EDC (even if you've ...

View Poll Results: You purchase a firearm that you have determined to be so defective that you do not tr

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Do you sell it and try to recoup your investment?

37 72.55%
  • * Keep it as an annoying range toy?

8 15.69%
  • * Do you pack it in cosmoline and wait for the apocalypse?

3 5.88%
  • * Do you have it destroyed and serial number unregistered?

3 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ethics and selling defensive-carry guns

VIP Member

Situation:

You purchase a firearm that you have determined to be sufficiently defective that you do not trust it as an EDC (even if you've had it repaired by the manufacturer).

* Do you sell it and try to recoup your investment?

* Keep it as an annoying range toy?

* Do you pack it in cosmoline and wait for the apocalypse?

* Do you have it destroyed and serial number unregistered?

Or other (please elaborate)

Whec is just curious.

I try really hard to avoid jumping off and purchasing a defensive handgun that will prove to be defective. The only one I can think of that I've tried that might answer that description is a Kel Tec P3AT. I'm not too keen on either the pistol or the cartridge. If I were to determine that it just isn't worthy of serious consideration for defensive carry I'd sure send it on down the road. The silly pistol does serve a limited purpose on occasion.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm a little curious as to what specifically happened? I think my answer would differ depending on the gun and situation. A good gun shop should cover you and make sure you have a working gun, whether at their own armorer/gunsmith level or via the manufacturer, but I can understand the hesitation after you get a bad taste in your mouth.

If it was a gun that I personally liked enough to buy, I think I'd try to make the thing work. If it was a gun that I tried and didn't care for, of course sell the thing, unless it was inexpensive enough to take the hit and save for a trade or zombies or whatever down the line.

Some guns have goofy things go wrong with them. I've seen several gen 3 and gen 4 glocks begin to have problems that suddenly crop up only after several thousand rounds, but replacing the ejector with the newer Gen 4 ejectors seems to fix the issues. Springs can be replaced, sights peened and reinstalled, magazines replaced, etc.

So, what kind of gun, what's wrong with it, how long have you had it, how much have you shot it, and with what sort of ammo?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I try really hard to avoid jumping off and purchasing a defensive handgun that will prove to be defective. The only one I can think of that I've tried that might answer that description is a Kel Tec P3AT. I'm not too keen on either the pistol or the cartridge. If I were to determine that it just isn't worthy of serious consideration for defensive carry I'd sure send it on down the road. The silly pistol does serve a limited purpose on occasion.
    Thanks BMC, but I think you're talking about a gun that functions properly, but you've decided that it still doesn't make the cut. What if it simply gagged on every 9th round or so, and you got tired of trying to make it work?

Get it fixed and working right. .... I would much rather give someone a good one, than sell anyone a bad one.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    With full disclosure I did just that with a Taurus 85UL. It turned into a Dan Wesson revolver the next gun show after it returned from Taurus repair. What a wonderful day that was!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Sell with full disclosure so I can sleep at night. Me and my DW's "Sleep at Night" test.
    bmcgilvray and phreddy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    I'm a little curious as to what specifically happened? ....
    I'm not referring to any particular personal event. More along the lines of reading many posts here where members talk about how much they hated a particular pistol that was purchased for the purpose of defensive carry. I'm wondering what happened to all these guns.

None Of The Above:

1) I'll normally send it in to get fixed.
    If that fails
    2) Trade it in and take the loss. I figure, if the dealer takes it in, it his now his responsibility to fully test prior to reselling. Should he not do that, I still have a clear conscious :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Sell with full disclosure so I can sleep at night. Me and my DW's "Sleep at Night" test.
    +1 for this.

If' I've battled the repairs and still can't get it where I feel comfortable it goes but with a full history to the next owner so they can pick up the gauntlet and go.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I couldn't pawn it off on some greenhorn. I was raised better than that.

Assuming the gun was from a proven, reputable maker, I'd scream until they fixed it right, or refunded the money. Some call me a bit of a snob, but I buy guns that were made by proven outfits, and as such have had very few issues. Those issues that I have had were rectified by the maker.

No place on this earth for an unreliable gun. Or a guy that would sell such a gun to an unsuspecting rookie.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    While picking a barn i got a rough old Remington .22 single shot rifle for $10. The chamber is so loose that even after modifying the headspace the rim splits and peppers my forehead and glasses with powder debris. THATS why I wear polycarbonate! Even in nice condition it would only be worth about $40, so I have it in my toolbox and when the right project appears I will weld it to something with the bolt welded shut. I will get my $10 worth out of it. If it had value i would sell it for parts, or to a collector and get a signed release of liability.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

sgb
    So far I've never acquired a firearm that I couldn't get to run 100%, however if I did I'd inform potential buyers of the problem(s) associated with the firearm.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Let the buyer beware!

I have sold three guns like that. I told the truth right up front so the buyer knew what he was getting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links