Need a handgun for the wife

This is a discussion on Need a handgun for the wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start this thread by saying I know a firearm is a very personal choice and something that can only be done by the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Need a handgun for the wife

Let me start this thread by saying I know a firearm is a very personal choice and something that can only be done by the individual and I fully intend to do so. Now with that out of the way let me present a narrative.

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away my wife had a bad experience with firearms. The specifics are irrelevant and being omitted to protect the innocent. Though her perspective is (understandably) jaded, she has been supportive of me owning, shooting, carrying and teaching our kids. Yesterday, she decided to go shooting handguns with me; SA XDm 9mm 3.8, Ruger LCR and the Sig Mosquito.

I was extremely impressed with how well she shot. She admitted how much she enjoyed shooting and was explaining to me what she liked / disliked with each of my handguns she shot. Afterwards we took some time to look at several different handguns, she was most impressed with the SA EMP 9mm, Walther PPK and Sig P238. She wants to go back to the range and rent several handguns to find the one for her. I'd like some suggestions on other handguns worth trying out. I'd appreciate some suggestions because I'm buying a gun this weekend (for her) as my birthday present; which based on her preferences, will likely be the nicest handgun in the collection.

Thanks a bunch!
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Does she intend to use this gun for concealed carry, or will this be a range gun for her?
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unless she's wanting it for SD use, I'd consider a nice .22 revolver. Not so loud, less recoil for long range sessions, certainly inexpensive ammo-wise.
    bunker likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My wife really likes the Ruger LC9. Its bigger than the LCR but is still a sub-compact and is 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    Does she intend to use this gun for concealed carry, or will this be a range gun for her?
    Great question; this one will be her SD / future carry gun.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

We have a local range that charges $15/hour for shooting and $10/each to rent a pistol to shoot (they really like it when you buy ammo from them, but that is not required). What I've seen them do before is offer 3-4 different pistols, a box of ammo, range time, and a few targets for $50. Often the person ends-up purchasing a pistol from them that day, so it makes sense from a marketing perspective. But, that approach makes a lot of sense - especially if you find a caliber that is agreeable (9 mm is usually a good all-around choice). You could check with your local range to see if they would do something like this for you.

From my perspective the rest is just making her feel comfortable, safe, and confident while shooting. Make it as positive an event as possible and go from there. Good luck to you!
    Spirit51 and oneshot like this.

I would take her somewhere she can shoot several different guns, and then listen to her very carefully. Listen carefully, because in two days she has gone from "supportive," to you buying her a gun. Not that I know your wife, but you do not want to "misfire" on your selection for her......and maybe this should be her selection for her, without the pressure of "today"? Just thinking out loud,........Of course, I do not know a darn thing about either of you, just applying my tremendous spousal relationship skills
    Spirit51 and oneshot like this.

It would be my suggestion to find something for her that you allready have... meaning same caliber, function, exact same gun. Police departments do that for a reason, and so does the army, and if my girlfriend chose to carry, i would highly suggest to her carrying the same thing i shoot. Just as important is making sure she can put rounds on center mass time after time, so if this is not possible, then have her carry what she can accurately and reliabily shoot. Good luck, i think it is awesome that she overcame her "issues" with handguns. Kudos to you for making her feel comfortable. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member

OK, if she's hot, you can have one of my more valuable firearms.

If not, you're getting bargain basement material.

If she's really high maintenance, the deals off.

All kidding aside, my wife shoots semi autos alright, but has an afinity to my DW 15-2vh.
    She has a Taurus mod. 85.
    My daughters,{19 & 17} like all very well, but like the M&P9c and the S&W 6906/6904 (6906 has subsequently been sold).
    They hate my Kel Tec P11 for the very hard trigger.
    They have not tried my Sigma9mm
    My nephews GF was looking for a firearm, tried my wifes Taurus, a S&W mod. 19 and a S&W M&P9c.
    She chose the M&P9c.

Is this going to be a CC weapon?
    HD weapon?
    I would have her shoot an M&P9c as well.
    A friend of mine has a Ruger SR9c and his wife doesn't mind shooting it as well.
    He BTW has bought my 6906 for her cause it weighs a few more oz. than the SR9
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My classic answer, a four inch "K" or "L" frame .357 magnum. Yes they are heavier than an air weight "J" frame but that is part of the reason I like them. You can get ammo from no recoil .38 wadcutters for lots of practice up to full magnum loads you can hunt deer with. For defensive use you can go from standard pressure .38 special to +P to magnum depending on her comfort level.
    cthruit likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I'm impressed if she was wary of them from the beginning but then "liked" the P238. Even I think that one is a bit snappy (but I love it!).

I think a 9mm semi-auto is great for a female. I rotate through my pistols and sometimes carry an SR9, though it's not exactly compact, I'm tall and wear it MIB. But I think 9mm is a great choice because it is less intimidating and perfectly sufficient for a defense situation.

Cool

My wife shoots my G-23 , G-36 and my Hi-Power very well but decided to take my 649 for her carry gun.

She did not want to take the time to spend on malfunction drills for the semi auto's and had some problems racking the slides due to weak hand strength.

The 649 fits her needs and she carries it daily which is the most important thing to me. It has an action job by Teddy Jacobson which puts the double action at a really smooth 9 lbs.

Good luck with your quest for a carry gun for your wife

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    Kilowatt3 and oneshot like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

LET HER PICK THE GUN! help her make a choice, by finding ways to let her shoot as many as possible until she knows what she wants, but don't decide on your own what she "should" have.

my best gunny friend bought several guns for his wife, who liked none of them. (maybe this was his point - he kept them for himself). finally he got her into a beginner's class where she got to shoot a bunch of different guns. upon returning from class, she announced, "i want a Sig 9mm." it was the P-239, which is still "her" gun after several years.

ps: member Limatunes (a woman), has a very good post on how to help your female SO pick a weapon.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Take a look at the S&W 637CT in .38 Special if she's going to use it for SD. They're easy to handle, reliable and not nearly as complicated to learn as a semi-auto.

I've been personally through this; wife shoots all (dozens) of my handguns, I give her the one that I think is best, she then picks the one that SHE likes & shoots the best, it is NOT the same pistol. Don't put yourself through all this agony. Get her some quality training with some real-world, practical information from an instructor who is NOT you. Then let her pick her own gear while offering your opinion ONLY if/when you are asked. You'll both be a LOT happier in the long-run.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links